Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 06:23 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,768,836 times

Advertisements

Self driving cars will cut down on a lot of traffic problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 06:52 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,367,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
maybe this will spur people that have developed no skills to find some.
Why? Liberals will just push for higher minimum wages and 'guaranteed income' for doing absolutely nothing. God forbid the left push for gaining valuable skills, that might take time away from some non binary gender studies degree.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:57 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,367,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-carefu...001531700.html

GM executives have said they planned to introduce a large-scale fleet of self-driving taxis by 2019, a time frame some analysts consider ambitious.

I assumed this transition would happen within a decade. But within a year? Amazing how fast technology is advancing.
By 2019? Not a chance, not even a slim chance. Just a year ago Ubers autonomous car license was revoked in CA. They still get confused by bridges: Why autonomous cars don't work on bridges - Business Insider

No way is there going to be a large scale fleet of self driving taxis in just 1 more year.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:59 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Car repair !!! or work at the DMV
Go back to tech support?

Old 01-16-2018, 07:06 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I know, re-read my comment. They are breaking into semi trucks, but they're also working on a pickup truck.

VERY few pickups have after market lifts etc. For the vast majority, you buy a truck to haul stuff. Not for driving.

Im not sure how this becomes a "turn off" those customers. A tesla pickup is going to sell amazingly well, and if it can self drive at all it will be amazing. I would buy one in a heartbeat.
Have you ever been to the South?

Old 01-16-2018, 07:08 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Have you ever been to the South?
Yes. Even then it was about the ability to haul stuff for most of them. Trucks represent 20.7% of all vehicles on the road-and I'd suggest that most of them are sold for their towing and hauling capacity-NOT for fun.

But that being said...have you ever ridden or driven a electric vehicle? Teslas trucks are going to blow folks away who are used to the lower performance of a gas vehicle.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:21 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yes. Even then it was about the ability to haul stuff for most of them. Trucks represent 20.7% of all vehicles on the road-and I'd suggest that most of them are sold for their towing and hauling capacity-NOT for fun.

But that being said...have you ever ridden or driven a electric vehicle? Teslas trucks are going to blow folks away who are used to the lower performance of a gas vehicle.
I was referring to a self driving pickup, that’s what I do not see a market for.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:24 PM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Govt guided vehicles, traveling on govt roads to govt approved destinations...sounds so liberating.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:56 AM

29,469 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
yep lots of people are late adopters, that is no big deal. At first it will be a few self driving cars, but i believe states will quickly move to ban drivers from major roads i guess about 10 years from now drivers will be banned from a whole bunch of cities and restricted to maybe one lane or no lanes of highways....

ref pulling over a car, that is NOT an issue. it is hardly even worth talking about.

but ...

1 with self driving cars the only reason to stop a moving car is urgent safety issue and active crime. breaking a light, speeding etc are all bigger issues to be handled at a higher level.

2 a hacked car would be either an active crime or banned from most roads.

it is very likely self driving cars will have to be in compliance with co operative standards if the users which to use major roads etc... ie selfish software will not be allowed in fast lanes or in city zones.

Sorry, not a late adopter just can't afford another $60k truck.

I still think the timing is way off on these. In the next 5 years or so we will see a peppering of self drivers, mostly in fleets and some people that want to jump on the new tech. For it to be widespread and the norm , I'm guessing 15 or more years.

Think about it. One news report states next year they will be offered, then the next news report has Ford boasting about one of their new 2018 model Mustangs having the most HP in any vehicle they have sold. If these companies were serious about making the jump like now, all development would be on it. I wouldn't be designing the interior of a 2021 full size SUV , that is gas powered.

Again, I agree, it is coming, just not at the speed they say.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:57 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-carefu...001531700.html

GM executives have said they planned to introduce a large-scale fleet of self-driving taxis by 2019, a time frame some analysts consider ambitious.

I assumed this transition would happen within a decade. But within a year? Amazing how fast technology is advancing.
Yep, but it's not politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies