Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 11:55 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
UNRWA (refugee aid) funds are used for education, health care, and social services, so I am sure it warms your heart to hear the money is being cut.

The argument was that instead of taking refugees here, we can help them there, but I guess that has changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Spare me the phony compassion...
Quote:
Phony compassion is using government dollars (read - someone else's money) for some endeavor that makes you feel good... even though it is something you would never undertake freely on your own.

True compassion and charity comes straight from your pocket.
Now if you fund these refugees directly - I will be prepared to apologize for calling your compassion, phony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 12:34 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Now if you fund these refugees directly - I will be prepared to apologize for calling your compassion, phony.
Your attitude and compassion is revealed in your desire to cut funding entirely. You just want to stick it to them.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:36 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...22497602220032

Trump administration withholds funding for UN Palestinian refugee agency

The Trump administration announced Tuesday that it is withholding funding for a controversial U.N. refugee agency for Palestinians -- but has not cut funding to the organization completely.

The State Department confirmed Tuesday that the U.S. is withholding $65 million of a planned $125 million installment to the U.N. Relief and Works Agency, which provides health care, loans and other social services to Palestinian refugees in the region.

The U.S. gives approximately $364 million to UNRWA every year -- making the U.S. the biggest contributor to the organization.

The cut comes amid a growing push by the administration to get value for money at the U.N. and also to not fund agencies and countries that do not support U.S. interests.

Probably needs to be more of a cut here...
Trump is pro Israeli, and as a NYC real estate mogul, he has very close and personal ties with Jewish people. I dknot know how folks say Trump is a racist when he personally loves Jewish people. I never understood this!

Overall. I think withholding funds for Palestinians is not the best idea. Should the UN do more? absolutely, should countries who recognize Palestine do more for Palestinians instead of showing words of support? Absolutely. Trump should be more constructive with the peoples of Israel and the Autonomous PLO on how to solve the issues in the region. With Trump recognizing Jerusalem as the defacto capital of the Israel. The two state solution is officially dead. Expect more Palestinians to migrate out as refugees when the one state solution becomes a reality.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:45 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Actually, every "country" that works against our interests, speaks ill of us or our people should have that money train shut down.

If you think we're an evil empire, if you think we're destroying the world, if you think we're "the biggest terrorists in the world"... then Ok, fine. But you also don't need our money. Or our trade.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Trump is pro Israeli, and as a NYC real estate mogul, he has very close and personal ties with Jewish people. I dknot know how folks say Trump is a racist when he personally loves Jewish people. I never understood this!
You don't understand it, because you do not understand Jews are not a race, they are white, like Trump. Besides, cutting aid from the Palestinians is not a pro-Israel move. Israelis are actually concerned about it.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:49 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
You don't understand it, because you do not understand Jews are not a race, they are white, like Trump.

So are Jews not a race.... or are they all (in your world) white like Trump? Your logic is contradicting itself.

Classic white supremacists are not big on Jewish people.

Jewish can mean religion (not a race), or an ethnicity (cultural Jews, who can even be atheist).

What's NOT a race is Islam or Christianity or Mormonism or Hinduism. Which is why "Trump is racist because he is restricting immigration from Muslim majority countries" falls flat for anyone with greater than an 8th grade education.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
So are Jews not a race.... or are they all (in your world) white like Trump? Your logic is contradicting itself.

Classic white supremacists are not big on Jewish people.

Jewish can mean religion (not a race), or an ethnicity (cultural Jews, who can even be atheist).

What's NOT a race is Islam or Christianity or Mormonism or Hinduism. Which is why "Trump is racist because he is restricting immigration from Muslim majority countries" falls flat for anyone with greater than an 8th grade education.
It is not logic, it is a fact. "Jews" are not a race, it is a religion. As for the rest of your post, it seems you are trying to insert something into my mouth, but they are not my words.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:58 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Your attitude and compassion is revealed in your desire to cut funding entirely. You just want to stick it to them.
I'll take that to imply that you have not directly given to the cause of the refugees.

It's always easier to appear compassionate with someone else's money. I will leave it at that...

Quote:
You don't understand it, because you do not understand Jews are not a race, they are white, like Trump. Besides, cutting aid from the Palestinians is not a pro-Israel move. Israelis are actually concerned about it.
You really need to stop... surely you understand that Jews and Muslims have the same ancestry.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I'll take that to imply that you have not directly given to the cause of the refugees. It's always easier to appear compassionate with someone else's money. I will leave it at that...
You can take it any way you want. You have no clue where my charity goes, and you have no clue how much I pay in taxes, so you are not even making any sense. I am sure you'd rather talk about me, or anything else either than what this thread has revealed about yourself.

Quote:
You really need to stop... surely you understand that Jews and Muslims have the same ancestry.
Sure. And? I never said Muslims are a race either. Actually, Muslims can be of any race.

Drop the straw man arguments.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:09 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
True Arabs are also white. So what's your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies