Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 01:58 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Clay Banger View Post
Hey Democrats, if you think this President will be impeached, then you are living in an alternate reality. The changes and progress being made in this country will not be impeded.
An economic bubble being inflated by deficit-funded tax cuts won't excuse Trump from any crimes that the investigation might find. Clinton was impeached by the House even though he had a booming economy too -- and his crime was a lot less serious than what Trump is accused of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 02:03 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
20,000 high tech jobs... of which very few Americans are qualified to do.

How many people do you think hold MS/PhD degrees in engineering/computer science? lol
Apple isn't just going to pick college grads, they find the cream of the crop. Like Intel does.
Most of those jobs can be filled with people with either a strong Associates degree or a BS in computer science or related field. There are lots of those in the US.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:03 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,813,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
agreed.

about 20 years ago a BA or BS was fine, hell you get some certs, skills and a little experience and you were golden.

Today, NOPE. You want a job with a top tier tech you need to be top tier. As my buddy says, he could not hire himself today. He would not even interview himself , he would not even send a response to himself today.
Today tech is more like pro sports. only a fraction of the population have the requirements to make it. Thus we need to improve our system to catch as many as we can as early as we can. Our education system is not designed to handle the needs of industry, instead it is geared up to handle the needs of the education system .

We have millions of kid coming out of HS, without a real education because they are slaves to continual assessment. instead of deep learning ,they are churning out endless pointless paperwork so that teachers can apply a pointless rubric.

I see kids who could cut me in half with their intellect ground down to stumps due to teachers requiring they fill in tens of thousands of worksheets that mean nothing to them. And the teachers, blame the sytem and the district blames 3rd level. all the while the great sorting machines of education are failing to sort as they are intended to do. precious minds are being wasted, above average kids are becoming nothing more than mindless grinders, trained to perform like thoughtless drones.
QFT

All I see is people expecting top tier pay with mediocre talent. Lol.
Experience =/= education

Old 01-17-2018, 02:05 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,813,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Most of those jobs can be filled with people with either a strong Associates degree or a BS in computer science or related field. There are lots of those in the US.
Yes but most of those jobs are mindless monkey work. You are not empowered to do actual design and actually innovate. Someone is just telling you to do something. It's not to say you can't find some design work at other companies, of course you can. Just don't expect to work for a top tier corporation like Apple with that kind of skill set. They aren't interested in that.

The "real" engineering jobs where it requires you to be an engineer like design and architect a system all require high levels of skills and education and of course comes with a high pay (easily 120k+). These are the kinds of jobs universities train you for, to be a good designer, not a mindless monkey.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:05 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
BUT BUT BUT .....

Trump is a racist that hates Africa... That is the medias attempt at distracting from good news.

I'm sure that this move by Apple was already planned out when Obama was President..
Let the Democrats, Media and Progressives (same thing) worry about Racism, Sexism, Homophobes, Islamophobes, Xenophobes (Hillary's Deplorables) while Trump gets the economy going again, and creates jobs.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:07 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
An economic bubble being inflated by deficit-funded tax cuts won't excuse Trump from any crimes that the investigation might find. Clinton was impeached by the House even though he had a booming economy too -- and his crime was a lot less serious than what Trump is accused of.

The growing economy will generate more tax revenue even with lower tax rates. Since when did Democrats worry about deficits anyway. Obama created more debt than any previous President COMBINED, and you all thought that was just great. Hypocrites.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:10 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Good news - but it won't help the people that elected Trump.
Sadly, no.

The coal miners and factory workers and all those waiting for their low-skilled, high-paying jobs to come back to West Virginia and Ohio are not going to be getting these jobs.

It will be the educated ones, the ones who did not vote for a con man as well as those from other countries here on visas, waiting to get a foothold so they can haul over the whole family.

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
chuck when discussing such matters, we ignore extreme outliers. Your case is built on extreme outliers.

virtually every single hire at top tier tech companies requires best in field qualifications. There are exceptions, some hires will get there through their excellent work history. They are a rare breed and they consist of exceptional people.
So, you really believe that all these 20k jobs WILL require a masters or higher? Really?

Quote:
I know these people and the ones who get hired despite the missing paperwork hardly exist. they are extreme outliers and their stories are told many many times but hardly ever replicated.
I never said that every job would be filled like that, I'm just proving that it can be done without a masters or higher.

Quote:
in short NO you cannot get a top tier tech job with without the background and the skills. the outlier proves the rule.
Again, are all these top tier jobs? Of course not....

I guess me and several of my friends are outliers then....all retired military, all got our top tier job on our military service...I had a 2 year degree, I now have my master, completed 8 years after I started my job.

Of course they will want the best, that's not what I'm saying, you can get just as good for a cheaper price, and tons more experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Yes but most of those jobs are mindless monkey work. You are not empowered to do actual design and actually innovate. Someone is just telling you to do something. It's not to say you can't find some design work at other companies, of course you can. Just don't expect to work for a top tier corporation like Apple with that kind of skill set. They aren't interested in that.

The "real" engineering jobs where it requires you to be an engineer like design and architect a system all require high levels of skills and education and of course comes with a high pay (easily 120k+). These are the kinds of jobs universities train you for, to be a good designer, not a mindless monkey.
The article indicates that most of the jobs will be technical support, not design work.

I have worked in the IT industry for 24 years. I have a degree in computer science. I know people just out of college with the same credentials who can barely function in tech support. Apple will be placing a premium on actual experience. That degree counts for a lot, but it doesn't mean you can actually DO something.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Sadly, no.

The coal miners and factory workers and all those waiting for their low-skilled, high-paying jobs to come back to West Virginia and Ohio are not going to be getting these jobs.

It will be the educated ones, the ones who did not vote for a con man as well as those from other countries here on visas, waiting to get a foothold so they can haul over the whole family.
I am surrounded by people with technical degrees (myself included). About 75% of them voted for Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies