Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 01:25 PM

500 posts, read 841,428 times

Advertisements

This is a "1st world country" supposedly....horrifying. I grew up in what's definitely not considered "first world", but there was nothing like that, remotely. I had not seen a homeless person until I'd moved to the US. Are these half-a-million $$ condos overlooking the camp?? One has to slave away the whole life for some greedy corporations, always one step away from sleeping in a car (unless you got mommy/daddy to house you), to pay for some crapshack built from "cardboard" aka common building materials here, just to have a roof over the head and not be among filth and crime in the streets, here... insane. I'm afraid these guys didn't buy into "the dream", somehow.

Last edited by xani; 01-21-2018 at 01:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 01:46 PM

1,022 posts, read 739,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
A big part of the homeless population is addicted to alcohol and drugs. Giving them prison time for repeat offenses would be their best chance to sober them up. The government could hire homeless and pay them minimum wage to clean the highways and parks. Instead, they enable them to continue their addictions and lifestyle. There are some homeless who truly have just had terrible luck and was born into the wrong life, so I don't hate the homeless, but that doesn't mean they are greater than the law.

Gotta agree with this. I've been saying let them clean up the roadways and parks in exchange for minimum wage, welfare, housing and such for years. Then comes the argument that they will be taking jobs away from city/county workers who do this now.

I stick with - 1st Enforce the laws already in existence. If they move down the road, that's ok. Enforce the laws there too.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:01 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
"Kicking the homeless over to another city or another part of town isn’t going to work anymore."

The upside of visible homelessness in Orange County: We can't pretend we're better than everyone - LA Times

Old 01-21-2018, 02:07 PM

On the other hand....all the serfs that have to live with "roommates" and even sharing their rooms, in tiny sardine cans aka "apartments" and "condos", in places like Bay Area, while working for "major technology companies" and spending hours daily on a "google bus" or just being stuck in car in a hellhole commute....are certainly quite a few steps above these guys with their tents... hmm, having a shared shower and a toilet, some running water, isn't it a bright goal to aspire to...like spend years to get some Masters degree for it? The hell, here you can't legally live in a tent on your own land!

Old 01-21-2018, 02:29 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,323,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
That's 10 miles from my place. Their supposed to kick them all out next Monday. I'll believe it when I see it.

Notice all the bikes?? Tweekers are obsessed with them and their all stolen.

I've never seen anything like that in the video. I wonder where they will all go.

I guess a lot are into meth. I suppose the meth gives energy to pedal the bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
Don't need a college degree to put socks in a box.
Some orgs may require a degree.

Quote:
There's a rv there everyday trying to help people leave. The people there don't want to or can't work. They've built a whole society there. They call it the river view estates. People bring them food clothes tents etc I don't blame them for not working. The only thing they have to do is steal bikes and break into cars to get their drug money. And the dealers go to them. I've even seen trash trucks there picking up trash and they have porta potties. Those tents even have electricity hooked up. Life is good at the river view estates...

Most of them steal? I don't have compassion for the ones that steal.

Electric in a tent. Incredible. I guess the power comes from a generator. Maybe they siphon off gas for it. Maybe they can use the energy they get from their meth to pedal a stationary bike, creating energy to power a generator for electricity. Actually, its very doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yeah ... what a great life! Surprised you don't go for it yourself ... how come you slave away, unhappy everyday, when you could be living the luxuries you just described?
Quote:
I ask myself that every day

More dignified to pull one's own weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Apparently, in Los Angeles, 30% of the city’s residents have a serious mental illness and 18% have a substance abuse disorder.

48% of LA's population is mentally ill or abuses substances?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
As I said, I actually WORK in public services... so yes, I do what I can to help. In my line of work (public librarian), our help comes in the form of providing them with valuable resources. I've directed them to shelters, food banks, clothing banks, social services, mental health resources, etc. I have occasionally been in charge of compiling these resource lists, and being in direct contact with local organizations. Additionally, for those who want to make positive long-term changes, we assist with things like filling out job or school applications. At my old library, we even had special "job hunting" computers set aside, which were solely to be used for job-related work (and had no time limits, unlike our general use computers).

I heard the ones motivated to find work have trouble acquiring job offers. Maybe the fed or state government should start businesses that hires those people exclusively.

Commenting on this thread has reminded me of that place in California called Slab City.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:30 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,740,223 times
We had a piece in the Chico, CA newspaper called Chico News and Review.

There was a single-family home converted by homeless advocates to use as a shelter. There were eleven people in there, most older folks, until the house burned down because one fall asleep smoking in bed.
The agency in charge immediately jumped in and found housing for all of them. So now they are all right, for now, until the next guy gets a pack of cigarettes and burns down the place.
In my mind this homeless debate brings back the issue of the Las Vegas shooter who gunned down over sixty spectators from a hotel window, for no apparent motive or reason.
Ever since then law enforcement is looking for a motive, but they haven't found anything.

For us it seems difficult to accept that evil does exist. Evil doesn't need a motive to do damage and cause mayhem.
Some people are good, some are trash, and no amount of compassion or help will change that.
I've met hundreds of homeless in my work as self storage manager and helped a few. The good ones overcome their situation and get back on their feet in a few months.
The others, you can give them a penthouse and a Cadillac, and they will waste it all. Like I wrote before, evil is evil, trash is trash, and we don't have the power to change that.

Last edited by mgforshort; 01-21-2018 at 02:51 PM..

Old 01-21-2018, 02:36 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
48% of LA's population is mentally ill or abuses substances?
Of the homeless city's residents. Scroll back.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:37 PM

While there're plenty of tents for rent on Airbnb for $70/month and more, in crappy backyards and a toilet is just a hole in a shack or a bucket sometimes...way better and more upscale...

Old 01-21-2018, 04:16 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xani View Post
This is a "1st world country" supposedly....horrifying. I grew up in what's definitely not considered "first world", but there was nothing like that, remotely. I had not seen a homeless person until I'd moved to the US. Are these half-a-million $$ condos overlooking the camp?? One has to slave away the whole life for some greedy corporations, always one step away from sleeping in a car (unless you got mommy/daddy to house you), to pay for some crapshack built from "cardboard" aka common building materials here, just to have a roof over the head and not be among filth and crime in the streets, here... insane. I'm afraid these guys didn't buy into "the dream", somehow.
No those are not condos they are expensive apts near Angel stadium. I asked a guy that lives there if they get a deduction in rent for having to deal with the encampment. He laughed and said he wished. They see fights and hear yelling coming from there every night. Their stuff is constantly being stolen. He was going to move out when his lease ended.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:38 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
And you proved the point that most of the people posting about this topic don't care at all about solving the problem.
You’re right. Most don’t have the time to care. They’re too busy trying to survive and keep from becoming homeless themselves.
I think there is a minority who wants to do something and not be homeless. A good portion just wants everything handed to them or too lazy to do anything. Sime are addicted to drugs and alcohol. Some are mentally deficient and those people need to be in a facility. I had enough interaction and observed enough homeless to know that I have no interest in giving them money or go out of my way to help them.

I had a friend tell me a story. He was going in a market. A homeless guy was outside. My buddy asked the guy if he was hungry and the guy replied yes. My buddy went in ordered him a nice sandwich a drink and chips.
Brought it out to the guy. The dude looked at it said he didn’t want all the mayo and veggies. Then threw it in the trash. From that day on my buddy refuses to lift a finger to help any homeless. My buddy is a well respected finance guy and would have no reason to make up such story. I’ve known him for 24 years

The most I will do is buy them a meal. But that’s about it.

Most people say they want something done about the “homeless problem”. Which im9 translates to just get them out of my area. I don’t care how. Because of we REALLY wanted to eradicate the homeless problem it’s doable. It takes money. But then you get the argument as why is he getting a house and I gotta buy mine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
A big part of the homeless population is addicted to alcohol and drugs. Giving them prison time for repeat offenses would be their best chance to sober them up. The government could hire homeless and pay them minimum wage to clean the highways and parks. Instead, they enable them to continue their addictions and lifestyle. There are some homeless who truly have just had terrible luck and was born into the wrong life, so I don't hate the homeless, but that doesn't mean they are greater than the law.

If you think drugs and alcohol isn’t available in prison you’re sadly mistaken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies