Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Agree?
Yes 49 74.24%
No 15 22.73%
Not Sure 2 3.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 10:36 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,739,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Ahh bubbles -- they can't find low skilled workers in my neck of the woods. Economy is booming and jobs available everywhere. Folks can't seem to get unskilled laborers that want to work.
It doesn't work that way. Pay the unskilled worker enough, and he'll want to work....even for companies in "your neck of the woods".

Keep raising the the hourly wage until the company looking for workers get a bite. Easy Peasy. Capitalism really does work.

Whether a company is a Construction Company in Texas, a Landscaper at Mar a Lago, or a laborer in Moneill's "neck of the woods". I don't want to pay for Medicaid, Section 8 or Snap or Social Security for their workers (or for the worker's family) today..... or tomorrow...... or in 5 years.

Shut all Visa's down. Start with the Hatians & the other Countries mentioned on the fraud list & then work their way to the other countries.

If after a year or two smart people determine that we "really do" need laborers for agricultural work, start relaxing there. But Trump's landscaping needs, & my Buddy's Landscaping business here in Texas (& the companies in Moneill's "neck of the woods") can pound sand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 10:37 AM

23,717 posts, read 14,830,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The kids looking for a summer job and after school work to buy a car, or pay for college books and classes, will love that.

We should put a hold on immigration, until the correction to get back to normalcy is over.
Self sufficiency is the goal, with the byproduct being less people on the welfare rolls, which will drop the cost of living.
I would love to hire neighborhood high school kids for help around the house. Weeding the flower beds, washing windows on the first floor. Stuff this old woman does all the time. I would pay 10-15 an hour. But the kids in my neighborhood wouldn't bend over to pick up a 20 dollar bill.

So, my yard man hires illegals for 7 bucks an hour.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:38 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,787,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Ahh bubbles -- they can't find low skilled workers in my neck of the woods. Economy is booming and jobs available everywhere. Folks can't seem to get unskilled laborers that want to work.
For what they are willing to pay. Labor is a good. For every good there is a price point where demand will be satisfied.

Why do you want to suppress the wages of low skilled workers?

Last edited by whogo; 01-18-2018 at 10:55 AM..

Old 01-18-2018, 10:39 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,065,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
It doesn't work that way. Pay the unskilled worker enough, and he'll want to work....even for companies in "your neck of the woods".

Keep raising the the hourly wage until the company looking for workers gets a bite. Easy Peasy. Capitalism really does work.

Whether a company is a Construction Company in Texas, a Landscaper at Mar a Lago, or a laborer in Moneill's "neck of the woods". I don't want to pay for Medicaid, Section 8 or Snap or Social Security for their workers (or for his family) today..... or tomorrow...... or in 5 years.

Shut all Visa's down. Start with the Hatians, & other Countries on the fraud list & then work their way to the other countries.
Many are on government programs like SNAP, WIC, CHIP, etc.
Make $1 over the income limit and you lose it all.

Would you like to lose hundreds of dollars needed for your family because you earned $1 more ?

Our social programs do not encourage people to work more.

I went and looked up that Palm Beach Post ad.

Housekeepers: starting at $10.33..$15 for overtime plus $12/day travel expense.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:46 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,739,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
Many are on government programs like SNAP, WIC, CHIP, etc.
Make $1 over the income limit and you lose it all.

Would you like to lose hundreds of dollars needed for your family because you earned $1 more ?

Our social programs do not encourage people to work more.

I went and looked up that Palm Beach Post ad.

Housekeepers: starting at $10.33..$15 for overtime plus $12/day travel expense.
I don't even know what you are asking me (or the point you are trying to make)?

Are you saying that the relatives of immigrants (legal and illegal) don't take advantage of Federal Programs?

It's a 100 Billion + per year issue. An issue that needs to go away. (& will when low wage workers are ejected out of the US)

Old 01-18-2018, 10:59 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,787,995 times
Let me add that what is best for a business may not be what is best for a nation. Trump hiring foreigners may well be a good business practice but may not be good for a nation. I attempt to maximize my income under our current laws regardless if I agree with those laws.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:02 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,116,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I wonder what countries the 70 workers granted visas to work at Mar-A-Lago are from?

Trump wins visas to hire 70 foreign workers at Mar-a-Lago | TheHill
Don’t know, don’t care. We have enough unskilled sh!tbags in the US.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I don't even know what you are asking me (or the point you are trying to make)?

Are you saying that the relatives of immigrants (legal and illegal) don't take advantage of Federal Programs?

It's a 100 Billion + per year issue. An issue that needs to go away. (& will when low wage workers are ejected out of the US)
You said pay them enough.

Do you know any unskilled job that will pay your $12/day travel expense ?

And as far as people on welfare..they limit their work hours so they don't lose benefits.
Make $1 more then cutoff and you lose all benefits.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:09 AM

58,423 posts, read 26,752,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
I voted YES because we have enough low skilled people already.

You say it is wrong, so let me ask you a couple of questions.

How many of these even a a comparable high school diploma as Americans?

Or should we bring in MORE illiterates?

How many are YOU willing to let to move into YOUR HOUSE?

Old 01-18-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Let me add that what is best for a business may not be what is best for a nation. Trump hiring foreigners may well be a good business practice but may not be good for a nation. I attempt to maximize my income under our current laws regardless if I agree with those laws.
I thought so too until I looked into that further.

Ads were placed in the Palm Beach Post in July.
$10/hour + $12/day travel expense and optional living arrangements for $50/week.

That's July. Request for foreign workers came in November.
So Americans did have first crack at those jobs.

Then again..the full story doesn't fit the current meme so it's not told.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies