Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2018, 10:10 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Only in America could this climate denying hoax get any traction.

The USA has spawned so many cults and conspiracy theories it is the world capital of wackos.
Yes. The USA was founded by religious nuts, and plenty of other fringe religious groups came to America to escape persecution in Europe.

Unfortunately, the founders’ enlightenment belief in “freedom of religion” only served to enable religious extremism here.

Last edited by Freak80; 04-23-2018 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 10:33 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,349,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I remember the fear merchants saying that we were destroying the ozone layer and forced many products that used CFC’s to change at the cost of hundreds of millions of dollars only to have the entire thing debunked by Mother Nature when Mt St Helens went off and spewed more CFC’s into the atmosphere than mankind could produce in 100 lifetimes. Created a hole in the ozone layer and then a year later the hole was mostly gone and the ozone layer was thicker and stronger than ever.
Do you have a source that says that?, because I have sources that disagree:

Volcanoes account for about 3% of chlorine in the stratosphere. Methyl chloride produces about 15% of the chlorine entering the stratosphere. The remaining 82% of stratospheric chlorine comes from man-made sources, mostly in the form of chlorofluorocarbons.
Ozone destruction | Volcano World | Oregon State University

Many compounds containing chlorine are released at the ground. Those that dissolve in water cannot reach stratospheric altitudes in significant amounts because they are "washed out" of the atmosphere in rain or snow. For example, large quantities of chlorine are released from evaporated ocean spray as sea salt (sodium chloride) particles. However, because sea salt dissolves in water, this chlorine is taken up quickly in clouds or in ice, snow, or rain droplets and does not reach the stratosphere. Another ground-level source of chlorine is from its use in swimming pools and as household bleach. When released, this chlorine is rapidly converted to forms that dissolve in water and therefore are removed from the lower atmosphere. Such chlorine never reaches the stratosphere in significant amounts. Volcanoes can emit large quantities of hydrogen chloride, but this gas is rapidly converted to hydrochloric acid, which dissolves in rain water, ice, and snow and does not reach the stratosphere. Even in explosive volcanic plumes that rise high in the atmosphere, nearly all of the hydrogen chloride is removed by precipitation before reaching stratospheric altitudes. Finally, although the exhaust from the Space Shuttle and from some rockets does inject some chlorine directly into the stratosphere, the quantities are very small (less than 1% of the annual input from halocarbons in the present stratosphere).

In contrast, the major ozone-depleting human-produced halocarbons --such as chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) and carbon tetrachloride (CCl4)-- do not disolve in water, do not react with snow or other natural surfaces, and are not broken down chemically in the lower atmosphere. Therefore, these and other human-produced substances containing chlorine do reach the stratosphere.

https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/research...-human-sources

Old 04-23-2018, 10:36 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Yes. The USA was founded by religious nuts, and plenty of other fringe religious groups came to America to escape persecution in Europe.

Unfortunately, the founders’ enlightenment belief in “freedom of religion” only served to enable religious extremism here.
Under the U.S. Constitution, people were free to practice any religion they wanted. Nobody was forced to practice any religion, nor was there any state sponsored religion. So, what you call "extreme" had nothing to do with the Founders. They were largely Deists. It had to due with the freedom of those formerly oppressed for their religion to practice freely. Don't want to be a part of the religion, leave it.

You have a warped view of history, and the concept of freedom, and rights in general.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:39 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Under the U.S. Constitution, people were free to practice any religion they wanted. Nobody was forced to practice any religion, nor was there any state sponsored religion. So, what you call "extreme" had nothing to do with the Founders. They were largely Deists. It had to due with the freedom of those formerly oppressed for their religion to practice freely. Don't want to be a part of the religion, leave it.

You have a warped view of history, and the concept of freedom, and rights in general.
Please carefully re-read my post until you understand it.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
That is why they changed it to Man Made Climate CHANGE. If the WEATHER gets warmer, it's Man's fault. If the WEATHER gets colder, it's Man's fault. Pretty slick, huh?
On average the world is warming. That's why they changed that.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Lol

Humans have been using mass amounts of fossil fuels for over the past 30 years, yet every year our ozone hole has been decreasing since, and today its been the smallest ever recorded.
Just because they're fossil fuels doesn't mean they destroy ozone. The CFC's that do have been heavily restricted for quite some time.

Quote:
I read read an article recently of some atoll islands in the south pacific - scientists use this island chain as their prime example/barometer for rising sea levels many decades ago; scientist claim it would be underwater by now. Today, it so happens, the island is getting bigger, not because of growth but by dropping sea levels.

Its funny, a lot of tree huggers come on here to complain, yet do absolutely nothing in their lifestyle to reduce their own carbon footprint.
I don't know which island you're referring to, so I won't comment on that.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Right! The very fact they are here posting with their computer/smart phone, using electricity made by fossil fuels, live in homes/ appliances made up of mostly petroleum, cars that guzzle gas, etc (all huge contributors of so called globing warming) tell me they're not too concern, either.
The point of being concerned about preserving our environment is so that humans can live well in it over the long run. If we blindly leap back into the stone age and and have a technology-smashing fest, you're kind of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Michael Crichton said it best regarding global warming. Said we do not affect the planet on a global scale, we are just little apes running for cover.
We can't do much to the rocks below our feet...but the organisms on the Earth's surface are another story. Our species is causing a sixth mass extinction.

The oft-repeated claim that Earth’s biota is entering a sixth “mass extinction” depends on clearly demonstrating that current extinction rates are far above the “background” rates prevailing between the five previous mass extinctions. Earlier estimates of extinction rates have been criticized for using assumptions that might overestimate the severity of the extinction crisis. We assess, using extremely conservative assumptions, whether human activities are causing a mass extinction. First, we use a recent estimate of a background rate of 2 mammal extinctions per 10,000 species per 100 years (that is, 2 E/MSY), which is twice as high as widely used previous estimates. We then compare this rate with the current rate of mammal and vertebrate extinctions. The latter is conservatively low because listing a species as extinct requires meeting stringent criteria. Even under our assumptions, which would tend to minimize evidence of an incipient mass extinction, the average rate of vertebrate species loss over the last century is up to 100 times higher than the background rate. Under the 2 E/MSY background rate, the number of species that have gone extinct in the last century would have taken, depending on the vertebrate taxon, between 800 and 10,000 years to disappear. These estimates reveal an exceptionally rapid loss of biodiversity over the last few centuries, indicating that a sixth mass extinction is already under way. Averting a dramatic decay of biodiversity and the subsequent loss of ecosystem services is still possible through intensified conservation efforts, but that window of opportunity is rapidly closing.
Accelerated modern human

Old 04-23-2018, 12:05 PM

182 posts, read 197,216 times
Quote:
Lol

Humans have been using mass amounts of fossil fuels for over the past 30 years, yet every year our ozone hole has been decreasing since, and today its been the smallest ever recorded.
Burning fossil fuels is not the cause for the ozone hole, it's CFCs. We've greatly reduced our use, and have solved this problem. Science accurately diagnosed and solved the problem--funny how this works.

PullmyfingerI remember the fear merchants saying that we were destroying the ozone layer and forced many products that used CFC’s to change at the cost of hundreds of millions of dollars only to have the entire thing debunked by Mother Nature when Mt St Helens went off and spewed more CFC’s into the atmosphere than mankind could produce in 100 lifetimes. Created a hole in the ozone layer and then a year later the hole was mostly gone and the ozone layer was thicker and stronger than ever.

What can I say, hawaiiancoconut already answered this one for me.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:11 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,660 times
You know you've lost credibility when you immediately tell someone they're full of s--- when they are asking a valid question. I mean I don't mind cursing. I do it a lot myself but that's just rude. Answer the question first instead of jumping to that assumption.

Quote:
No lifestyle change on their part, but want us to change ours and endure yet more punitive taxes, and fees. It is the height of hypocrisy.
I always try and recycle when no one else cares.
I also try not to waste anything (food, paper towels etc.) I do waste paper towels sadly but I certainly try not to.
As far as cars and technology like computers, I don't think we can do much about that because computers and cars are necessary in today's world. The government and the businesses are the ones that need to make safer technology for the planet and to vote for someone that doesn't believe in saving our environment is wrong.

Something unusual is happening. You can call it whatever you want but it is happening. We have had the most bipolar and sometimes backwards weather this year than any other year in my lifetime. There's no way that it can naturally go from 80 degrees one day to 40s and 50s the next at least not as much as it has. The weather can be unpredictable but this is ridiculous. February was warm and then March was getting colder. April has had some pretty cold days too. I may not be a meteorologist but I do recognize patterns when I see them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies