Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2018, 08:49 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,184,775 times

Advertisements

LOL. Not like tunnels, ladders, and fancy things like airplanes exist. But let's build a wall George. That's the ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 08:49 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
A tall ladder or tunnel will easily defeat this unconscionable waste of money - unless of course Mexico is paying - but wait a minute they're not!

Also how does this deal with the 40-50% of illegals that come in via plane and just overstay their visas?

Will wait for answer.
Lol. You think a wall is going to be built and there will be no monitoring at all?

Go back to the couch and remote control.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:52 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
LOL. Not like tunnels, ladders, and fancy things like airplanes exist. But let's build a wall George. That's the ticket.
Then why do the existing portions of the wall reduce crossings?

Old 01-20-2018, 08:55 AM

16,581 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
The answer is simple and you should know it. Nothing is fool proof, but having to lug a huge ladder or dig tunnels deters all but the most determined. So large numbers will not come in as a result, which is especially true of young children and pregnant women looking to drop anchor babies.

Your false equivalency implies that if we have a ship at sea and there is a giant hole where most of the water is coming in, we shouldn't fix the hole because of other places we have leaks. Obviously if you do not take care of the biggest problem first, the ship will sink. However once the major means of water intrusion is mostly fixed, then you move on to fixing the smaller problems.

So I cannot tell if liberals are being intentionally obtuse, or just lack logical thinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The Southern Border is NOT the biggest leak, there were 170,000 illegal southern border crossings last year, but over 700,000 visa overstays and and an unknown number of entries though our 328 ports of entry (the Government refuses to issue data illegal entry via ports of entry)
So you quoted my post (above) to another poster, yet did not address the main thrust of my point.

Visa overstays are a problem, but they also have a record where many of those people can be found, and most do not flee or demand asylum. The same cannot be said of those crossing the border illegally. Also, a decent amount of overstays are just stats that include those who left, but late. I know of several that could not get back due to funds, scheduling, etc., yet did leave afterward.
As to port entries, I am all for stopping them as well, but that does not mean we ignore those who are pouring in via our southern border. We have ignored the solution to the problem for far too long, hence there are an estimated 13 million+ illegally in our country from crossing the southern border over the decades. That is not a small problem, and instead one that is costing us tons of money and lost treasure due to a lot of unreported crime perpetrated against our citizens.

`

Old 01-20-2018, 09:05 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
And then they are all arrested by Border Patrol because it took so long... the wall works...
Took so long? The Vietnamese guys had two up the wall in about 2 minutes.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:06 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I want to see what they are going to do while standing atop a 30 foot wall that is one foot wide.
Drop a rope or fire escape ladder and climb down.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:06 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
If this is true** it's obvious our Special Forces need to be better trained.

**But I highly doubt this is true.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:10 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Considering how short people south of the border are, it would be even harder for them. I just wish there were videos posted of these tests. I will email the White House to suggest it. If you agree, do it, too. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."

US Commandos Unable To Scale Border Wall | The Daily Caller

You evidently don't understand how inventive desperate people can be. I guarantee you, people who want over that wall will either scale it, dig under it, or go around it.

Look at Cubans who want to come here. They strap a 1955 Buick to barrels and travel across 90 miles of open ocean. You think a little wall is going to be a problem ?

Old 01-20-2018, 09:10 AM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
So you quoted my post (above) to another poster, yet did not address the main thrust of my point.

Visa overstays are a problem, but they also have a record where many of those people can be found, and most do not flee or demand asylum. The same cannot be said of those crossing the border illegally. Also, a decent amount of overstays are just stats that include those who left, but late. I know of several that could not get back due to funds, scheduling, etc., yet did leave afterward.
As to port entries, I am all for stopping them as well, but that does not mean we ignore those who are pouring in via our southern border. We have ignored the solution to the problem for far too long, hence there are an estimated 13 million+ illegally in our country from crossing the southern border over the decades. That is not a small problem, and instead one that is costing us tons of money and lost treasure due to a lot of unreported crime perpetrated against our citizens.
Visa overstays don't flee, What does that mean? We don't have any record of where they can be found, all they have is the address where they said they will be staying on arrival. Southern border entries are 10% of what they were 10 years ago and visa overstays are up, the Government won't release numbers for unlawful arrivals via ports of entry. Think about it.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:12 AM

1,087 posts, read 782,186 times
Walls and fences can stop golf club members, but not Mexicans. All Mexicans know how to use a ladder, which can defeat any walls and fences.

What really would work is newer technologies like drones, cameras plus human patrols.

Trump is a real estate developer, not a security consultant. He was thinking about mortgages, spendings and contractor jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies