Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 11:37 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
DACA in exchange for (1) ending all affirmative action and preferences for Hispanics, (2) ending chain migration, and (3) ending the visa lottery.

Of course, birthright citizenship needs to end as well, but I don't think Congress can resolve that issue.
Gonna have to read the constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 11:50 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
I am a man of compromise. Anyone who come over age 14 and under are allowed to stay, but never can be citizens, to be a citizen, they must go back to their country and go through the same path everyone else does.

Those 16 and over when they came here, they must return. However, exceptions can be made for those with rare, in-demand skills, served in the military and/or Peace Corps.

All must be vetted, must be absent any felony convictions.

To prevent future issues; Make clear, via law, that no child brought into the US illegally/stay illegally, may ever gain permanent residency nor citizenship. Parents who think they are doing their kids a favor are not. Likewise, no institution of learning that receives direct or indirect funding from the US gov may spend funds of any source on these illegal immigrant children to educate them. Illegal immigrant kids will not be eligible for any government assistance. The only thing allowed are emergency room visits, medical care such as vaccines and other issues in which they are not to be apprehended as a result of such visits.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:52 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
This. No amnesty-permanent resident status or pathway to citizenship-without those things.
There can't be a pathway to citizenship as long as the Feds enforce affirmative action and preferences in favor of Hispanics. As long as those policies are in place, the DACA beneficiaries would be getting something other than mere "citizenship". They'd be getting special super-citizenship, with all sorts of rights and privileges and immunities that the majority of American citizens don't get.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:52 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Conservative here.

Let the DACA kids stay ... as permanent residents. No citizenship.

I'd be on board with that.
Works for me. They can still apply for citizenship over time.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:53 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Gonna have to read the constitution.
You might want to read my comment.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:01 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,646,770 times
I won't be negotiating DACA until the gov. and military is funded.

Thanks for asking.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:17 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Conservative here.

Let the DACA kids stay ... as permanent residents. No citizenship.

I'd be on board with that.
I'd be OK with this approach too.

After all the DACA kids were never promised automatic citizenship when they signed up for DACA; they were promised that they would have a renewable two year deferment period from deportation, and be able to work and attend school during that time so they could get their legal status cleared up.

In my opinion, President Obama did DACA kids no favors by the way he went about instituting DACA. It should have been a decision made by Congress, not the President.

And, also just my opinion, by President Trump also did the country no favors by his approach to DACA. He should have insisted that DACA *not* be tied into approving the budget.

Actually, I don't think that any legislation that is not dependent on budgetary funding should be tied into budget approval. It should be treated as a separate stand alone item so that we break out of this idiotic constant bickering in Congress every year when it is time to approve the budget.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:22 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
On another thread, Mad Jasper spoke of the need for compromise on the immigration issue, which according to him...well...read below.

I'm personally for DACA, and I detest the wall proposal. Even so, if politics is about compromise, perhaps immigration reform should be based on what I understand Canada's to be. Or accept DACA in return for tripling the size of the Border Patrol and its budget, plus likewise for ICE.

I know I'll **** off liberals by saying this, but if this is what it takes to get DACA through, I could be for such a deal.
I personally detest how sneaky McConnell is.

So I'd go all in or block. McConnell needs to learn how to give up and move away from his hardline positions. (Knowing that he already was willing to block something as long as a Merrick Garland)

Old 01-20-2018, 12:23 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
There is no reason that DACA should even be debated. The overwhelming majority of Americans support it. Get it done and move on. It's not a partisan issue.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:25 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
There can't be a pathway to citizenship as long as the Feds enforce affirmative action and preferences in favor of Hispanics. As long as those policies are in place, the DACA beneficiaries would be getting something other than mere "citizenship". They'd be getting special super-citizenship, with all sorts of rights and privileges and immunities that the majority of American citizens don't get.
I know what you mean. The Democrats treat the illegal aliens like god's chosen people and Americans like red-headed stepchildren. Democrats want to citizenship and affirmative action them to the top of American society. I don't see how the rest of Americans can support this and Democrats. Are they masochist or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies