Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 10:44 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,736,290 times

Advertisements

If push came to shove I’d concede the wall for DACA. There’s just no morally defensible position for opposing it. But sure go ahead build your wall that will never get built anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 10:46 AM

15,525 posts, read 10,491,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Remember when Republicans used to be “pro-family?”

Good times.
I pay thousands in property taxes to support a county hospital and school system that these "families" abuse. It's not fair to the "families" who come legally, nor is it fair to our poorer citizens

Old 01-20-2018, 10:57 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,267,873 times
you want a compromise on DACA:

1) Secure the damn border....I don't know what you need, a WALL , a fence, a barrier or put full time the Army and National Guard. That means the Democrats have to approve the funds for it.

2) Enforce E- VERIFY and punish any employer that hires illegals with hefty fines and jail time if they keep repeating the offenses.

3) Get rid of sanctuary cities. We can't have cities or states defying federal laws and federal law enforcement.

4) Not all "grown-ups" in DACA can stay....if you have a criminal record and haven't finished High School you are gone.....the ones that stay, offer legal resident and put at the back of the line for U.S. citizenship like everybody else.

5) NO chain migration...it has to be on merits.

6) We can't reward lawbreakers even if they used their children because millions more will come and do the same thing and we will be stuck with this problem forever.

But Democrats won't have any of that.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:03 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,906,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post

1) Secure the damn border....I don't know what you need, a WALL , a fence, a barrier or put full time the Army and National Guard. That means the Democrats have to approve the funds for it.

2) Enforce E- VERIFY and punish any employer that hires illegals with hefty fines and jail time if they keep repeating the offenses.

3) Get rid of sanctuary cities. We can't have cities or states defying federal laws and federal law enforcement.

4) Not all "grown-ups" in DACA can stay....if you have a criminal record and haven't finished High School you are gone.....the ones that stay, offer legal resident and put at the back of the line for U.S. citizenship like everybody else.

6) We can't reward lawbreakers even if they used their children because millions more will come and do the same thing and we will be stuck with this problem forever.

I would support most of this, especially point 2 since that is THE core issue to ALL of this, as no one is coming here if they can't find work.

To point 4, DACA already has strict standards. You have to have education and you can't have a criminal record. There's no point in singling out DACA since it does what you ask.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 01-20-2018 at 11:15 AM..

Old 01-20-2018, 11:14 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,639,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I would support a path to citizenship for any "dreamer" who has never been convicted of a crime and has never been on social services during their adult life. People say these dreamers are contributing to society but this is not true of all of them. Let those who are contributing stay and get rid of the rest of them.
Under DACA rules, no one who has been convicted of a crime can be approved for DACA.

So, that really isn't an issue.

If a DACA recipient commits and is convicted of a crime during their two year DACA period, then I would have no problem with their renewal for DACA not being granted or their citizenship application turned down.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:19 AM

923 posts, read 494,850 times
Never negotiate with terrorists. And make no mistake, democrats like Schumer, Pelosi, et.al. as well as the leftist on this board are terrorists and enemies of the country.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:20 AM

34,007 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Quote:

I'd add (7) Turn in the adults who brought you as a kid, testify in their deportation hearings, and once they are deported for life, while the DACA "kid' obeying 1-6 may stay, those adults and all in his family, are permanently barred except the DACA kid.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:22 AM

34,007 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
Never negotiate with terrorists. And make no mistake, democrats like Schumer, Pelosi, et.al. as well as the leftist on this board are terrorists and enemies of the country.
Agreed.

No talks should be held until 180 days after the last hostage taking-a/k/a Democratic party induced shutdown.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:25 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,366,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
On another thread, Mad Jasper spoke of the need for compromise on the immigration issue, which according to him...well...read below.

I'm personally for DACA, and I detest the wall proposal. Even so, if politics is about compromise, perhaps immigration reform should be based on what I understand Canada's to be. Or accept DACA in return for tripling the size of the Border Patrol and its budget, plus likewise for ICE.

I know I'll **** off liberals by saying this, but if this is what it takes to get DACA through, I could be for such a deal.

What does any of that have to do with a spending bill?

Working Americans will no longer vote for Democrats, so the Schumer shutdown is being used in an attempt to import foreign voters though chain migration.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:28 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,639,371 times
Quote:

A bigger wall (one already exists along much of the border) isn't going to stop illegal immigration. I live a couple of miles from the border (I literally have a border patrol checkpoint within walking distance of my house) and guess what, almost every "illegal" I have met has not crossed the border on foot. They came by air or just drove across at a border entry on a tourist visa and never went back. (By the way, I've met illegal aliens from Canada, Australia, China, Vietnam, England in addition to those from Mexico and South America).

Also, if anyone thinks a bigger wall on the southern border will do the trick, then we really need to also be talking about a NORTHERN wall along the Canadian border. Also, we'll need a wall along the U.S. coastline to keep people from coming in by boat. Otherwise, you still have ways for people to get in illegally.

If we really want to stop illegal immigration, spending billions on a bigger wall along the southern border isn't going to solve the problem. I'd rather see that money spent on the following:

- Increase funding for the development of additional and better technological border enforcement. The border patrol is already using technology and it is working; let's give them more.

- Improve the system of Visa tracking so that people arriving on tourist visas are not allowed to stay past their visa date.

- I agree with you about strengthening E-Verify. I'd extend it so that even if a business hires a contractor who uses illegal aliens to perform work, they can be penalized. In other words, if someone is doing work for your company - even through a contractor - you are responsible for insuring that they are legal.

- Overhaul our current immigration system. In particular, I think the idea of the "diversity lottery" is silly. Why should people in some countries just "win" a spot here through the lottery? Immigration decisions should be made on an individual basis, not just because you win a lottery. So, until we fix our current immigration system, we will not really solve the underlying issues that contribute to the illegal immigration problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies