Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 02:59 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
And before anyone asks, here's my link. Yes, I'm sure many will find it convenient to dismiss it.

Trump and Schumer came close to a deal. Then it fell apart - CNNPolitics
When Trump was ready to agree to a bill, Tom Cotton and others came rushing over to convince him not to sign it. That's when Lindsay Graham got there only to be surprised by Trump's no and insults. And here we are. Everyone saw Trump say on camera that he would sign it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 03:12 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,862,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Schumer put border wall funding on the table in exchange for DACA..why did Trump end up rejecting it?

Because Trump had asked for only enough for 1/3 of the wall, $18 billion, a figure he has publicly stated for weeks.

Democrats offered $1.6 billion.

At that rate, the wall wouldn't be finished for 50 years.

Of course Trump rejected it.

Only mystery is, why did Schumer offer such a tiny fraction of what was needed? It was an obvious "up yours, we're not going to let the wall be built" statement.

Clearly Schumer didn't intend to make ANY acceptable offer. Just so he could then go before the cameras and claim "Well, I made an offer, it was Trump who rejected it, not me" ....when in fact, it was him rejecting anything reasonable.

Glassy-eyed liberal fanatics such as yourself swallowed it hook, line, and sinker, of course.
Whatever happened to the promise that Mexico would pay for it?

And why do people ignore that Bush and Obama already put up a very good set of barriers all along the southern border? I suppose so that Trump can later show them pictures and say that he built it - and his minions will believe him.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:17 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
No DACA. Ever.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:24 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,536,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
No DACA. Ever.
then why they negotiating with it? you know its illegal.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:25 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,536,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Whatever happened to the promise that Mexico would pay for it?

And why do people ignore that Bush and Obama already put up a very good set of barriers all along the southern border? I suppose so that Trump can later show them pictures and say that he built it - and his minions will believe him.
if Obama did a good job with the fence... why did he not do a better job with DACA. its his legacy

Old 01-21-2018, 04:16 AM

16,761 posts, read 8,207,350 times
As the word of the meeting have come out and the POTUS staff member telling the country, at the podium that the POTUS is moving the Goal Post.

How does the party in charge get 10 votes.
They can try and blame the minority leader.
They can send the same bill to the floor and hope to get a different result, dumb even for the GOP.
They can send an ex-congressmen to a podium trying to blame others and instead tell the country the POTUS cannot be trusted.

They can NEGOTIATE.

Yes, that is the correct answer as the party in power is the only one to put bills on the floor.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:24 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I realize that anything I say from the media is immediately going to be dismissed as "Fake News," but there are some details emerging of Schumer's talks with Trump. They met in person and had what appeared to be a promising talk. Schumer says he put the border wall funding on the table in exchange for DACA. They left on an optimistic note, with Schumer asking Trump to sell it to his folks. Some hours later, John Kelly called Schumer back and said no deal, it was still too liberal.

If this did in fact transpire in this manner... shouldn't both sides have taken it?

Feels like some hardliners basically blocked what would have been a reasonable compromise.
I think you are misinformed. From what I heard, Schumer came with more demands. Basically, the President told him to 'take a hike, this is your problem. I'm staying out of it' It isn't the President's job to insert himself into budget negotiations. That is the job of Congress alone. The House did their job. Now it's up to the Senate.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:27 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Schumer put border wall funding on the table in exchange for DACA..why did Trump end up rejecting it?

Because Trump had asked for only enough for 1/3 of the wall, $18 billion, a figure he has publicly stated for weeks.

Democrats offered $1.6 billion.

At that rate, the wall wouldn't be finished for 50 years.

Of course Trump rejected it.

Only mystery is, why did Schumer offer such a tiny fraction of what was needed? It was an obvious "up yours, we're not going to let the wall be built" statement.

Clearly Schumer didn't intend to make ANY acceptable offer. Just so he could then go before the cameras and claim "Well, I made an offer, it was Trump who rejected it, not me" ....when in fact, it was him rejecting anything reasonable.

Glassy-eyed liberal fanatics such as yourself swallowed it hook, line, and sinker, of course.
You're exactly right.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:35 AM

16,761 posts, read 8,207,350 times
You still need 10 votes.

How do you get them?

The party in power needs to NEGOTIATE.

The party in power can play the blame game or they can get off their butts and back to work.

The GOP is the party in power and does not know what to do.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:43 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Maybe you should see how quick you can go - this isn't a distraction as most of us know the whole Trump Russia thing is a non entity - there is nothing there - whereas Hillary's connection - there more solid evidence.
If there is nothing there why are 2 people under house arrest and 2 others have taken guilty pleas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies