Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 11:40 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,868,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Side A wants closed borders (or deportations and very well controlled borders) and Side B wants illegals to be granted citizenship.

Side A fears that granting citizenship to illegal aliens will change the political demographics of the nation.

Side B fears that closed borders (or deportations and very well controlled borders) will infringe the human rights of Dreamers who are in the US through no illegal act of their own.

So, who would agree to granting Permanent Resident status to the Dreamers without the possibility of obtaining citizenship and the right to vote (except through military service)?
I would agree to that in exchange for border wall, ending chain migration and visa lottery-basically the proposed Securing America's Future Act. I would also like birthright citizenship for illegals to stop being recognized.

I wished the US would just stop giving citizenship and voting rights to people not born to a US citizen all together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 11:43 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,581,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I would agree to that in exchange for border wall, ending chain migration and visa lottery. I would also like birthright citizenship for illegals to stop being recognized.
Yes. I'd like that, too.

Quote:
I wished the US would just stop giving citizenship and voting rights to people not born to a US citizen all together.
Can't agree to that. My wife obtained US citizenship through marriage to me and she loves the US. She gave us a son who will very likely serve in the US military, soon.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:50 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,784,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Nobody wants open borders and I have never heard anybody say that with the exception of right wingers accusing the left of wanting it.
That's exactly the problem!

You want to be lied to rather than be told you're being lied to!!!

If a Democrats lips are moving they are lying with their fingers crossed behind their backs.

Don't tell me they don't want them here!!! If they didn't the border would have been secured 30 years ago when they PROMISED Reagan they would in exchange for amnesty! They lied then and they're lying now! They want to do the EXACT SAME THING!

THEY NEED VOTES

They have totally lost the middle class. I'd imagine after the way they acted over the last year the I's are at a tipping point as well.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:52 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,868,047 times
Quote:
Yes. I'd like that, too.

Can't agree to that. My wife obtained US citizenship through marriage to me and she loves the US. She gave us a son who will very likely serve in the US military, soon.
Well citizenship through marriage might be an exception. But really is it even necessary for even a spouse of foreign origin to have citizen status or voting rights? I have a close relative (natural born as all my relatives are) married to a LPR and not yet a citizen and she lacks for nothing here in the US. He couldn't obtain citizenship in her country of origin despite being married to her even if he wanted to.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:19 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,906,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Ya, Trump was elected.
Trump being elected has almost nothing to do with DACA. DACA is supported by both parties pretty heavily. Even Trump voters support it. It's a nonpartisan issue in many ways.

So, I ask again, do you have data that supports your statement that Americans don't want it?

Old 01-25-2018, 04:57 AM

981 posts, read 899,198 times
Quote:
Because the answer is more mass,globalized immigration at least until Democrats have a permanent super-majority. They can't very well admit that though.
Exactly, and they will never admit that.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:13 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Trump being elected has almost nothing to do with DACA. DACA is supported by both parties pretty heavily. Even Trump voters support it. It's a nonpartisan issue in many ways.

So, I ask again, do you have data that supports your statement that Americans don't want it?
One of Trumps campaign running points was no DACA amnesty.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:31 AM

62,880 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Quote:
Side A wants closed borders (or deportations and very well controlled borders) and Side B wants illegals to be granted citizenship.

Side A fears that granting citizenship to illegal aliens will change the political demographics of the nation.

Side B fears that closed borders (or deportations and very well controlled borders) will infringe the human rights of Dreamers who are in the US through no illegal act of their own.

So, who would agree to granting Permanent Resident status to the Dreamers without the possibility of obtaining citizenship and the right to vote (except through military service)?

Here's the problem with you last suggestion/question. We'd still be putting 800,000 Dreamers in direct competition for jobs, resources, college seats and military enlistments against Americans. I'll bet the number to gain under that program is much higher anyway. They are of child bearing age and their offspring would be considered U.S. citizens and guess who they are going to vote for in the future? It is more unnatural and unlawful transformation of the politics and demographics of our country and rewards their parents for bringing them here illegally.

They are demanding that their parents get to remain here to and that would be the next battle in congress. If they are allowed to stay to then we'd be amnestying millions again. I wish people didn't have such tunnel vision and the GOP would be cutting their own throats by going along with any of this. We should be entitled to border security and improving our legal immigration system without having to bargain for it with something that is a detriment to our own citizens and the future of our country.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:36 AM

62,880 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
No one wants open borders and our government has yet to come up with a solution for immigration. But we have had the lowest border crossing in over 15 years.
We had a solution for illegal immigration and that was to enforce our immigration laws. It didn't happen but that doesn't mean it's still not the solution. You guys keep yacking about lower border crossings and that may be so but we still have thousands crossing every year so it's still a problem, thus the wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies