Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 07:03 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times

Advertisements

https://twitter.com/iealondon/status/955777383428059138
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 07:10 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
This thread is wonderful. I don't know of any other place on the internet that I can hang out with one-per-centers. I really hope you guys defending this got a big share of that 82%, but if you didn't, let me clue you - you never will.
It’s great to rub elbows with all of these billionaires on City Data isn’t it?

Old 01-23-2018, 07:16 AM

13,943 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
This thread is wonderful. I don't know of any other place on the internet that I can hang out with one-per-centers. I really hope you guys defending this got a big share of that 82%, but if you didn't, let me clue you - you never will.
Go back to my earlier post where I address the hypothetical of everyone "getting their share." I've done the same thing with the billionaire and millionaire class of the US. If you seize the wealth of the entire global billionaire class and equally dole out that amount of money to the poorest 50%, you give them enough to purchase a few outfits with enough left over to buy dinner. In the 3rd World nightmares most are living in, like most of Africa for instance, you give them enough for a second rate AK-47 and maybe 200 rounds of ammo, depending on if the gun broker gives bulk discounts.

We are talking about $400 handed back to "equal everything out." That's it. You've now skinned every one of the world's richest 42 people, thus turning them into 42 more penniless poor people, and in return, everyone can buy a few new outfits and eat dinner...ONCE. OK, go skin the next riches 42, or 420, or 4200. End of the day, you have maybe 18 months where anything at all results from what you've done, ad now the world has no rich people and further, since rich people get financially and economically skinned alive for the crime of being successful, you've disincentivized the entire planet from the notion of ever being successful, since a skinning will be their reward at some point.

Take your little class warfare revenge fantasy to its logical conclusion, and basically, civilization itself breaks down.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:26 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
It is an absolute crime the way we are seeing a growing percentage of the globes wealth becoming concentrated into fewer and fewer hands.

Technology and legislation and corruption seem to be driving it. In the US the biggest problem is that billionaires like the Koch family are writing our policies. Just look how Koch's caucus is distorting congress.
Just wondering who did you buy the computer or phone you are using to post this on?
Also I bet most posters who feel this is bad have a net worth of 100 times or more than the poorest 1/3 of the world. I suggest you divest and distribute.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:28 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Many who aren't rich live paycheck to paycheck and can't afford to invest any money because they need to pay the rent and feed their kids.
And whose fault is it that they had kids before they could afford them?

When people do that they are creating their own wealth gap.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
And whose fault is it that they had kids before they could afford them?

When people do that they are creating their own wealth gap.
Which party is trying to make abortion illegal? Birth control is not 100% effective.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:35 AM

Default dus yoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
So that means you should have no problem giving away all of your wealth, since wealth is unlimited.
Did you miss the part where I said that my wealth has nothing to do with your wealth and vise versa?

Get off your ass and create your own wealth.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:35 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
That said, corporatism is giving the politically connected an unfair advantage. Instead of straight-up, honest competition, you have lobbying for regulations, licensing, subsidies, etc. that, surprise, benefit the companies lobbying for them.

That's Crony Capitalism. It rules our society today.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Did you miss the part where I said that my wealth has nothing to do with your wealth and vise versa?

Get off your ass and create your own wealth.
You apparently missed the part where you said that wealth was infinite and trivial to acquire. If that is the case, then you should have no problem with giving all of your wealth to me.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Which party is trying to make abortion illegal? Birth control is not 100% effective.
The percentage of unwanted pregnancies by otherwise responsible people whose birth control failed is miniscule compared to the number of people who aren't using any and think it won't happen to them.

Birth control when used properly and regularly is very effective.

Does it happen? Sure.

But exceptions to the rule do not disprove the rule..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies