Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 07:18 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times

Advertisements

Those who are upset that foreigners are buying up homes must be positively livid that the recent tax scam gave foreign investors such a great deal.

Another good deal for foreign investors was the dollar falling 10% over the past year.

Good times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 07:20 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Name 1 illegal that got a mortgage. Because you don't know what you are talking about.
Bush pushed heavily to get mortgages to Hispanics and other minorities. Not sure if illegals were included or not, but he put in a lot of effort into it.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:26 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,930 times
Rural areas are dying and jobs are moving into cities because that is how most people want to live. Very few people want to live in rural areas. It is a simple supply and demand issue, if people wanted a rural lifestyle the prices would go up for housing and jobs always follow the population. Things are only going to get worse for rural areas, young people are fleeing in droves and very few people are moving to the sticks to take their place.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:59 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
The reasons are two-fold:

1.) The jobs are being killed (and I believe deliberately by both Big Government and Big Business) in rural areas, forcing everyone into more cramped cities. As a result, the price of land, housing, etc, all go up due to all the competition. Finding a way to stay decently employed (without having to resort to selling meth, etc) in rural areas would alleviate that.

2.) Allow more land development. With the Enemies of Progress Association (EPA) blocking so much development and the government illegally nationalizing land, we have huge sections of our country undeveloped. We need to throw this "climate change" BS out the window and start developing land. That will bring the cost of housing down.

There is a lot of land that is available for development. It's not being developed because it is not profitable to do so. If there was a big market for start-up communities in the middle of nowhere, believe me, someone would have jumped on the opportunity. Most people want to live near existing cities or towns.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:07 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
You are obviously not aware of this, but mortgages were handed out like candy to ILLEGALS during the last housing boom. We were surrounded by them in a very nice Texas neighborhood. Most of them loaded up hauls in 2008-10, destroying the home values around them
I doubt anything has changed because we never learn.
Well that may be true for your area.

In my area what destroyed the values were the young couples who were able to mortgage themselves so much they were under water big time. None were 'illegals' .

They were handed home equity lines and used them to have the newest cars, fanciest theater rooms, big vacations.

The downturn hit and they were so underwater they didn't know what hit them.

Sometimes people think people are illegal because they don't seem to be just like them -- but sometimes they are wrong.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:09 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Interesting information on home ownership and illegals.
https://www.marketplace.org/2017/09/...s-buy-homes-us

Researching how easy/hard/common it was for illegals to buy homes...I found this article about Trump University blogger telling illegals how to buy a house.

We can't make this stuff up -- we just can't.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/trump-...rticle/2001383

Old 01-23-2018, 08:21 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,472 times
I am taking care of myself right now when it comes to this very issue, but I think, if there is a way to do what I am doing on a large scale, it would help a lot.

I live in a very high cost of living area and I have a job that pays well that I like. Nationally, the pay is good (I just got a raise to $80k a year). But locally, I actually make "below average" pay.

I've been working on making my job online/telecommute friendly. Currently, I can work about two days a week from home, but my goal is to make it 100% from home. I am doing this by using different applications to make things that had to be done by hand, online. When I reach that point, I plan on selling my house and moving to a nice, rural area (I hate suburbia and I hate the city even more... not my thing). With what I have in home equity today, I could buy a house outright where most of my family lives. It would be a small ranch house on an acre or so, but that's all I really want.

If there could be a way to encourage people to move out or maybe encourage businesses to have more telecommuters, that would help. And this isn't just to help people afford housing. I think it's good for national security too to be more decentralized. Another benefit could be to help decentralize power resources as well (people living out in rural areas could produce solar, wind, gas, geothermal, oil energy sources depending on where they live, use some for themselves and sell the rest back to power companies).

Old 01-23-2018, 08:25 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times
HS rail to the megalopoli on the coasts could make vast areas job friendly. Imagine living 150 mi from Boston but working there. Problem solved.

Did a quick google maps. thats southern Maine to all of Connecticut, All of Mass and into the Albany NY area.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:00 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Agree but I blame immigration flooding our cities and suburbs. And foreigners buying up property.

well then either you are joking or you don't understand what is driving residential RE.. tell us which one and i will step through it for you.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:04 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
The reasons are two-fold:

1.) The jobs are being killed (and I believe deliberately by both Big Government and Big Business) in rural areas, forcing everyone into more cramped cities. As a result, the price of land, housing, etc, all go up due to all the competition. Finding a way to stay decently employed (without having to resort to selling meth, etc) in rural areas would alleviate that.

2.) Allow more land development. With the Enemies of Progress Association (EPA) blocking so much development and the government illegally nationalizing land, we have huge sections of our country undeveloped. We need to throw this "climate change" BS out the window and start developing land. That will bring the cost of housing down.
Yes the government is trying to "kill" jobs.

GREAT conclusion. Makes perfect sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies