Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 10:27 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,458,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I have to tell you that happened to a friend of mine who is a black belt. The guy with the gun didn't know what hit him....dropped it and ran lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
And what would you have done if this was you and not your friend that his happened to ?
Drag Wayne Lapierre into it....
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
If Wayne La Pierre's family were gunned down, would he change his stance on guns. I doubt it. Pretty sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
School shootings are not news anymore. This country made the decision to value gun ownership over all else. Kids will continue to die and that’s the reality. There’s no point in making every incident newsworthy. Nothing is going to change. This is the society Americans created.
Ditching the current system that is in place, would surely change things a whole lot.
Why you would expect a different result doing the same thing over and over again is quite foolish...

Arm and train the faculty allow them the opportunity to defend children.
Gun free zones do not work. No sign no law written on a piece of paper will magically get a deranged homicidal freak deterred from carrying out a heinous act.
We have seen it time and time again.
911 is called, badges with guns come.
The average time an active shooting lasts is 10-15 minutes.
When seconds matter, help is minutes away.
Ignoring that fact is blatant ignorance.
Not changing that to where faculty and staff are on site, trained and willing to thwart if/when these events occur, perpetuates the problem.
Choosing to ignore that and go for the implement is asinine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
True.

This plays right into the hands of the gun lobby, which above all desires to generate sales.
... and every mass murder is twisted to amp up the gun nuts so they will buy more ammo and vote against their own economic interests.
Vote against economic interest? How so? This claim is often made with no supporting evidence. Isn't it a sign, when these events occur, and people go and choose to purchase firearms for lawful purposes, folks are not interested in relying on a flawed and failed system of calling 911 to come minutes later when seconds matter now? Again do you choose to be this blatantly ignorant?

Or is this the only outline per the liberals hand book on how to debate on guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
The USA has a disproportionate number of violent deaths when compared to other modern western countries, and also a disproportionate number of privately owned firearms.

Some people might see these as connected somehow.

What other country has the same culture, all of it?
From gangs, to violent psychos?

What other country has the same population?

What other country is inundated with democrats/liberals/progressives who choose to perpetuate problems by enacting and enforcing problematic, flawed, and utter failures, to address the problem?

What other country has a political party that stands on the deceased and exploit the deceased to support a political agenda, rather than look for a real solution and just go after inanimate objects like clock work time and time again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 11:33 AM

19,635 posts, read 9,956,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
We also have a disproportionate amount of inner city drug, and gang violence where guns are used. Some people might see the connection somehow, but then that requires thought.
blacks are 13.8% of the population and commit 50% of the homicides, mostly other blacks.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:08 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,337,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
LMAO we have multiple friends that were threatened with deportation back to Canada because they couldn't renew their visas, they ended up moving back to Vancouver and starting a dog walking service. But, they still hope to come back. I'd move to Panama before freezing my A up there.

I'll add that Canada would be a completely different Country were it not for mooching off our military.
Mooching off your military? Wow, the ignorance of that statement is astounding. You've gone totally off topic here, so I won't engage you.

It seems your anger, has clouded your understanding of Canada's military role, and contributions.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
What were you saying about Australia ? That they are re thinking their gun laws do to rising violence ?

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics-Eco..._cid=NARAN1507
Did you read and fully understand the article you posted?

They are not rethinking their gun laws, as in loosening them. They want to toughen sentences. They are talking about amnesty like they had in 1996.

The rise is attributed to gang wars. These things come and go, HOWEVER as the article states

"Australia's gun homicide and suicide rates have both fallen markedly in the intervening 20 years and there have been no mass shootings (defined as five or more victims) since the tragedy at Port Arthur. "

Old 01-25-2018, 12:22 PM

28,877 posts, read 14,232,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Did you read and fully understand the article you posted?

They are not rethinking their gun laws, as in loosening them. They want to toughen sentences. They are talking about amnesty like they had in 1996.

The rise is attributed to gang wars. These things come and go, HOWEVER as the article states

"Australia's gun homicide and suicide rates have both fallen markedly in the intervening 20 years and there have been no mass shootings (defined as five or more victims) since the tragedy at Port Arthur. "

I already posted that I mistook the meaning of amnesty. So yes, I did misread the article.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Not proven? Numbers aren't proven? The left can't meme nor Math.
If a rate increases, that means the events too have increased. Yes?

Murder by fire: Arson-related homicides rising

I'll tell you why, guns aren't as available after their buy back and ban. So mass burnings Vs mass shootings the implement changed. The motivation is to kill yes? Remove guns, criminals turn to other implements. As proven here and in the UK with knives.

They ask doctors/shrinks for the why when it's blatantly obvious. We removed one implement from the market and those bent on killing have turned to a different implement. Fire.

Ban matches grills gas etc when the mass arson of 20xx occurs? Smart.

Next implement will be....?
You are having a hard time with this. The article I posted CLEARLY stated several possible reason that the rate APPEARS to have risen. The obvious one, is how they changed their record keeping on arson. The rise, as one expert said, may not be a rise at all.

Criminals with knives, kill less. Countries with less guns and better gun control have far less crime and gun deaths, let alone murder by other means, than the US. The numbers prove it. Over and over again.

The false analogy between matches and guns, knives and guns, cars and guns, baseball bats and guns, is a silly, childish, and not a well thought out argument.

However, as I've heard others say. If the shooting deaths of 20 children and 6 adults that took place in a place one would think the safest, an elementary school, didn't change America's laws. Nothing will.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I already posted that I mistook the meaning of amnesty. So yes, I did misread the article.
Missed that. Thank you for your correction.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:32 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,481,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
A friend of mine spent 20 years in south central LA as a cop. He has to now go through a background check to buy a box of ammo.
So?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Nothing defends in the heat of the moment like a gun. I hope it doesn't happen but if someone pulls a gun on you tell them they can't hurt you because government will protect you. See how well that works.
Lol, it amuses me those that believe they'd be able to shoot & kill someone when that other person has the element of surprise going for them. I wonder how stupid the pro gun folk, who have the need to have one on them 24/7, would feel when their on hand weapon was useless when they get shot in the face first? Pretty stupid, I'm thinking

Old 01-25-2018, 12:45 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,458,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You are having a hard time with this. The article I posted CLEARLY stated several possible reason that the rate APPEARS to have risen. The obvious one, is how they changed their record keeping on arson. The rise, as one expert said, may not be a rise at all.

Criminals with knives, kill less. Countries with less guns and better gun control have far less crime and gun deaths, let alone murder by other means, than the US. The numbers prove it. Over and over again.

The false analogy between matches and guns, knives and guns, cars and guns, baseball bats and guns, is a silly, childish, and not a well thought out argument.

However, as I've heard others say. If the shooting deaths of 20 children and 6 adults that took place in a place one would think the safest, an elementary school, didn't change America's laws. Nothing will.
Because they are an open invitation to heinous individuals. Cold messing with your thought process up there?

Serious as a heart attack. A gun free zone doesn't stop an armed sick and twisted individual. No sign, no law printed on paper. Why do you seek to perpetuate the issue?

It isn't a false analogy. Death is death. How it occurs is irrelevant. You could kill 10 with a knife is that better than killing 10 with a gun? Kill 10 with a car is that better? Kill 10 with noxious fumes/poison gas is that better?

Your mentality is the issue at hand with feeble emotion that well at least a gun wasn't used!

Old 01-25-2018, 12:48 PM

28,877 posts, read 14,232,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
So?

Lol, it amuses me those that believe they'd be able to shoot & kill someone when that other person has the element of surprise going for them. I wonder how stupid the pro gun folk, who have the need to have one on them 24/7, would feel when their on hand weapon was useless when they get shot in the face first? Pretty stupid, I'm thinking

And that is why , being aware of ones surroundings is the absolute most important thing. The whole key to concealed carry is to never have to use that firearm. One must do everything they can , not to put themselves in a situation, using that firearm is the absolute last resort , when ones life is in jeopardy.

Worked out well for this guy, in what would be a very bad senario. Obviously if you are shot in the face and dead , you really aren't going to care anymore are you ? And if they survive, they will feel just like any other victim. Only a dolt thinks that carrying a firearm guarantees protection.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/gun...lderly-victim/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies