Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 07:56 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Fido buying premium dog food with his EBT card will send me over the edge.
Yes we will have threads about how food stamp recipients are buying Ziwi air dried dog food and gourmet dog food from the refrigerated section will us tax payers have to buy Ol' Roy from the Wal Mart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 09:02 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
Only if you reside in California.
LOL.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:38 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Organizations already exist for this purpose.

About 10 years ago, our local Meals on Wheels announced such a program. It seems that drivers noticed the styro food containers on the floors of pet owners while making deliveries, and shared this info at meetings.

Instead of "scolding" the recipients, they contacted area pet stores for donations. Many, especially those locally-owned, were happy to help out. Now, pet food is included upon request.

Many of the MOW recipients are elderly. It's not exactly news that pets can brighten the lives of such people, many of whom are shut-ins who are socially isolated, or simply can't get out.

In those cases, donations help.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:43 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
I'd rather feed pets than the military industrial complex.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:53 PM

4,030 posts, read 2,715,223 times
My initial thought to this was, "Huh?"--then I sat down and considered the following:

A lot of animal shelters see pets surrendered when the owners can no longer take care of them--such as in a job loss (which, obviously means loss of income). A dog who may have been part of the family for five years now risks being taken to a shelter because the family can't afford to buy his food, and more likely than not, put down, due to the shelters being overcrowded.

From experience, I had a friend who lost her job and her fiance (which meant losing her home, since they'd been living together.) I told her she could stay with me until she got back on her feet. She was initially going to leave her dog with her now-ex, figuring that 1.) She didn't have the money to pay for his care, and 2.) I already had two dogs and two cats, so she didn't want to crowd it even more.

Then she found out her ex stopped feeding the dog, so she went to get him, with the intention of surrendering him to a shelter....which broke her heart, because he was 1.) Elderly, and 2.) Didn't like children (she and her fiance didn't intend to have any), so she figured he was as good as dead. I told her to bring him to the house. And pretty much the whole time she was there, I was the one buying his food.

Granted, there's more to pet care than just food, but a lot of routine care (shots, for example), are spread out pretty far apart, and some shelters will charge on a sliding scale for them. And a lot of people will immediately think, "Oh my God, I can't afford to buy dog food!"--which is a daily necessity. I don't think they tend to think about the other needs in the immediate rush of, "How am I going to manage?"

I'm not saying this is the right way to go about it, but I am wondering if that was part of the thinking behind it--if people who already have pets find themselves on hard times and can't feed them, maybe create a way so they can, rather than the pet getting dumped at a shelter.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:59 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
This is just -- I've got nothing. is the ASPCA for real with this??

Neither the OP or the linked article mention the ASPCA pushing any kind of food stamps for pets program.

The thread title is very dishonest.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:01 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Neither the OP or the linked article mention the ASPCA pushing any kind of food stamps for pets program.

The thread title is very dishonest.
gettin' a little too old to actually read the links, gringo?

Quote:
These groups say that allowing food stamps to be used for pet food could potentially keep tens of thousands of animals out of shelters and prevent low-income people from giving their own food to their pets. “It’s potentially game-changing,” said Matt Bershadker, the president of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. “I think we should get behind this in a big way.”

Old 01-24-2018, 01:10 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
My bad!

Old 01-24-2018, 01:24 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
My initial thought to this was, "Huh?"--then I sat down and considered the following:

A lot of animal shelters see pets surrendered when the owners can no longer take care of them--such as in a job loss (which, obviously means loss of income). A dog who may have been part of the family for five years now risks being taken to a shelter because the family can't afford to buy his food, and more likely than not, put down, due to the shelters being overcrowded.

From experience, I had a friend who lost her job and her fiance (which meant losing her home, since they'd been living together.) I told her she could stay with me until she got back on her feet. She was initially going to leave her dog with her now-ex, figuring that 1.) She didn't have the money to pay for his care, and 2.) I already had two dogs and two cats, so she didn't want to crowd it even more.

Then she found out her ex stopped feeding the dog, so she went to get him, with the intention of surrendering him to a shelter....which broke her heart, because he was 1.) Elderly, and 2.) Didn't like children (she and her fiance didn't intend to have any), so she figured he was as good as dead. I told her to bring him to the house. And pretty much the whole time she was there, I was the one buying his food.

Granted, there's more to pet care than just food, but a lot of routine care (shots, for example), are spread out pretty far apart, and some shelters will charge on a sliding scale for them. And a lot of people will immediately think, "Oh my God, I can't afford to buy dog food!"--which is a daily necessity. I don't think they tend to think about the other needs in the immediate rush of, "How am I going to manage?"

I'm not saying this is the right way to go about it, but I am wondering if that was part of the thinking behind it--if people who already have pets find themselves on hard times and can't feed them, maybe create a way so they can, rather than the pet getting dumped at a shelter.
Having read the original article, I can tell you this is EXACTLY the thinking behind it. Back when the recession hit, shelters saw a huge spike in the number of pets surrendered by heartbroken families, and frankly, I am in favor of anything that helps put a stop to that.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:27 PM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Organizations already exist for this purpose.

About 10 years ago, our local Meals on Wheels announced such a program. It seems that drivers noticed the styro food containers on the floors of pet owners while making deliveries, and shared this info at meetings.

Instead of "scolding" the recipients, they contacted area pet stores for donations. Many, especially those locally-owned, were happy to help out. Now, pet food is included upon request.

Many of the MOW recipients are elderly. It's not exactly news that pets can brighten the lives of such people, many of whom are shut-ins who are socially isolated, or simply can't get out.

In those cases, donations help.
Do you think these elderly just didnt want the remainder of their MOW and gave it to their pet?
I image much of those meals go uneaten.
Not that I am opposed to pet food donations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies