Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2018, 06:47 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,222,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
many black people are similar to you, but the general perception of black people is not similar to you. why is that? because blacks have the highest criminal rate in america. when that statistic changes to equal whites, blacks will be viewed as equals.
but the victims of those crimes are usually other black people and it's not the majority of black people committing those crimes.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:35 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
it's not the majority of black people committing those crimes.
This is of course true, and I doubt many people believe that a majority of black people are criminals but that doesn't lessen the problem posed by the minority.
Quote:
the victims of those crimes are usually other black people
That actually is not true. Most victims of black crime in America are non-blacks.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:00 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,222,638 times
most crime in intra-racial rather than interracial.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:25 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
The idea is for black kids to move away from the so called trouble makers. The real problem is you have white teachers deeming black kids as trouble makers. We need more black teachers and we need more resources going into black public schools. Notice how white public schools are still open, while they're closing down black schools left and right.

Now, what is going to happen to the kids who can't join a private or charter school? Nobody cares about that, and yes, that is racism in action. Using policy to effect a group of people due to their ethnicity.
Charter schools are created so that black kids that want an education will not be taunted by their peers for "acting white".

Old 01-31-2018, 10:35 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You better look again at the stats for children of single parent households. What you wrote is flat out incorrect as far as outcomes.

A short look:
http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/...afe_Harbor.pdf
The Consequences of Fatherlessness | National Center for Fathering
You need to take a look again at your own links. None of them mention how many kids today graduate high school or college today who were raised by single parents. FYI - in the early1960s only about 40-50% of black students graduated high school. Today black males graduate around 70% of the time and black females graduate 87% of the time (which is equal to the white high school graduation rate) of those who graduate over 50% go on to college. A majority of black graduates today were raised by single parents. For college only 9% of blacks had a college degree in the 1960s, today over 35% do. We have risen the most in educational achievement of any other demographic since the 1960s.

Again, I am well versed in actual numbers, not the "at-risk" studies that you are citing. Being "at-risk" doesn't mean that something actually happens/happened. Those studies also are only about a specific segment of the population and usually are focused on people in institutions and/or prisons and not the general public. So they paint a false narrative that you and others just run with because you are refusing to look at the real numbers.

High School Status Completion Rate

Just like with education, same can be said for all other things you all believe are horrible in regards to single parented children. Today crime across all demographics is lower as well. So it makes no sense for you to believe that your links are showing you reality. They are not. They are showing you a "risk" and risk usually don't come to fruition

Old 01-31-2018, 10:43 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
"It's literally that simple" says some members of the far-left. Charter schools is just a code word for "I don't want my children going to school with black and brown people".

Says the left. Is this true?
Who is saying this? When? Link?

Most charter schools are located in urban areas and admit via lottery. The student population trends diverse.

Most charter schools do not have Special Ed so that excludes a percentage of students, regardless of race or ethnicity?

Most charter schools will reject serious/ chronic behavioral problem children, regardless of race/ ethnicity.

Charter school outcomes are highly variable. Some perform better than local traditional schools Some do not.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:44 AM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
You need to take a look again at your own links. None of them mention how many kids today graduate high school or college today who were raised by single parents. FYI - in the early1960s only about 40-50% of black students graduated high school. Today black males graduate around 70% of the time and black females graduate 87% of the time (which is equal to the white high school graduation rate) of those who graduate over 50% go on to college. A majority of black graduates today were raised by single parents. For college only 9% of blacks had a college degree in the 1960s, today over 35% do. We have risen the most in educational achievement of any other demographic since the 1960s.

Again, I am well versed in actual numbers, not the "at-risk" studies that you are citing. Being "at-risk" doesn't mean that something actually happens/happened. Those studies also are only about a specific segment of the population and usually are focused on people in institutions and/or prisons and not the general public. So they paint a false narrative that you and others just run with because you are refusing to look at the real numbers.

High School Status Completion Rate

Just like with education, same can be said for all other things you all believe are horrible in regards to single parented children. Today crime across all demographics is lower as well. So it makes no sense for you to believe that your links are showing you reality. They are not. They are showing you a "risk" and risk usually don't come to fruition
Umm, a birth rate of 75% to single parent households isn't a "projection", it's actual numbers. As is teen pregnancy, crime involvement, gang involvement, etc.

The only thing you're well versed in is making excuses.

Having taught in a majority Black school system for 30 years may give me a perspective on reality. And I was in a middle class school. Kids, of whatever race, have better outcomes across the board than those from single parent households.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
There is no credible data to indicate that failure is causally linked to heredity. All races and cultures are basically equal in terms of potential and intelligence. Members of any race have the same potential for greatness or failure. So race is irrelevant to success. Today, Middle Eastern culture is backward and retrograde in terms of enlightened concepts such as individual rights, Reason, and freedom. There has been a slide to religious fundamentalist primitivity. But there was a time when the Middle East was the apex of humanity. So it has nothing to do with heredity, and everything to do with conscious choices. And political and economic philosophy.

Poor people in America suffer not from problems with heredity or biology, but from philosophy and bad choices. Which are reinforced by a corrupt oversized government whose powerlusting politicians reinforce irresponsibility and weakness. Not surprisingly, the people who are irresponsible and of weak character tend to overwhelmingly vote for the politicians who apologize for them. And agree to steal from others to subsidize their bad choices.

Which results in the inmates running the asylum. As we see in nearly all segments of society.
I agree with you on the above and will add that we humans are all the same race.

The posters that you are responding to are very attached to the idea of genetic superiority, yet I doubt they can even define "intelligence" from a universal perspective, something that they believe IQ tests are measuring.

I agree most failure and success in life is from a combination of thoughts, decisions, and actions that one takes in their life along with their own individual view of what is and is not failure and/or success.

Many posters here seem not to be able to come to grips with the fact that their skin color or ethnic origins doesn't make them superior to anyone else. What matters is your socio-economic positions, nutrition, nurturing (or lack thereof) received in early childhood, and as an adult your thoughts, behaviors, and actions. Not a test. Intelligence cannot be accurately or adequately defined and cannot be measured by a test. Humans are a diverse species and as a species, depending on the environment of which we were reared/live we will develop the skills/intelligence that is deemed the most important in said environment, which may not coincide with the test that the posters believe that everyone needs to score well on to be "successful."

Will note, that recently I have been re-reading a text that I read in college. It basically discusses the fact that for many people in America and in Europe because of cultural values, that the definition of "success" is historically rooted in assets and/or currency Working toward those aims are what is deemed the most important aspect of "success" and this mindset, due to colonialism has spread across the globe and become a part of the mindsets of various humans, who prior to their interactions with Europeans, may not have placed value on working towards their (the European) version of "success." For various other cultures around the world, having "things" and money was/is seen as pointless endeavors/possessions in the grand scheme of life. Who's to say who is right or wrong? Different people value things, and the skills/talents (i.e. intelligence) that one set of people may find to be of the greatest benefit to society/mankind another group of people may not find that sort of intelligence to be valuable at all in their society.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Umm, a birth rate of 75% to single parent households isn't a "projection", it's actual numbers. As is teen pregnancy, crime involvement, gang involvement, etc.

The only thing you're well versed in is making excuses.

Having taught in a majority Black school system for 30 years may give me a perspective on reality. And I was in a middle class school. Kids, of whatever race, have better outcomes across the board than those from single parent households.
I didn't make any excuses. I gave you a link of graduation rates in the US. You can continue to believe what you want to believe, but my point is the things you believe are not rooted in the reality of our entire country, which has seen a great increase in single parents since the 1960s, yet which has gotten better on every other socio-economic factor since that time period. I am not arguing your last sentence either, but facts show that the black demographic has gotten better in your field in particular. You can deny that if you want, but that is the case. As single parenting increased, so did educational achievement and crime decreased. I'll note that I believe that is because institutional racism decreased substantially between 1980 and 2000 but many people like to pretend that black people today are worse than we were 40-50 years ago, when that is not the truth at all.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:00 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
Charter schools don't have to answer to a public school board. Also, they don't accept everyone. Black kids will be left out in the cold. With that said, I'm tired of this "Black and Brown" talk. I'm tired of all this "People of color" talk. Black people have no coalition with hispanics/latinos. They hate us as much as your racist white folk. That's why I can't stand all this DACA stuff.
Same here. Race is a very divisive issue. Much of it is perpetuated by th. Sjw left, even though sjws and. Just as racist as those on the right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies