Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 03:32 PM

1,074 posts, read 949,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
The whole idea of choice is saying I don't want my children going to school with certain groups. Yet wait until all the public schools are shut down. You will see how many black kids will be left out in the cold. In any case, charter schools are no more successful than public schools. The difference between the two is, one answers to the public, the other doesn't.
But shouldn't people have a choice? If I want my children to go to a good school where they would not be attacked, deal with crime, etc, I should have that choice.

Just deal with the reality: Most Americans segregate themselves.

Latinos with Latinos.
Blacks with blacks.
Whites with whites.

You cannot force people to associate with groups if they do not want to. I personally am friends with all races and ethnicity, white, black, Latino, etc.

However, if I want to talk to a white person or a black person or a Asian person, I should have the right to do so. I should have the right not to.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:34 PM

138 posts, read 173,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
"It's literally that simple" says some members of the far-left. Charter schools is just a code word for "I don't want my children going to school with black and brown people".

Says the left. Is this true?
Um....what?

Every charter school within our area is a mixture of all kinds of people.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:36 PM

1,074 posts, read 949,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Oh goody, yet another post where a righty thinks they get to tell people on the left what they believe.

Nope. I'm a lefty and my son goes to a charter school where white kids are in the minority. I even moved to be in the enrollment zone for this school because I wanted him there. Pretty much all the other parents I know from school are left or left-leaning Independents.

So once again, a right winger telling lefties what they believe gets it wrong.
I am an Independent.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:36 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,446,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
The charter school my little sister goes to is roughly 90% minority.
Something like 30% black, 25% White, 25% Asian and 20% Hispanic with half of the white people being off middle eastern/ North African origin. Charter schools in the Houston area are very minority heavy.
And of that 30% black, how many of them are Caribbean immigrants, African immigrants? Where does that leave the black kids who couldn't get in, even though they wanted to go there?

When it comes to education, black schools don't get the resources or dedicated teachers. This idea that charter schools is the answer is stupid. Public schools aren't the problem. The proof is in the pudding with white public schools not being closed down. If public schools were so terrible, why aren't majority white public schools being closed?

Old 01-23-2018, 03:40 PM

45,359 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
And of that 30% black, how many of them are Caribbean immigrants, African immigrants? Where does that leave the black kids who couldn't get in, even though they wanted to go there?

When it comes to education, black schools don't get the resources or dedicated teachers. This idea that charter schools is the answer is stupid. Public schools aren't the problem. The proof is in the pudding with white public schools not being closed down. If public schools were so terrible, why aren't majority white public schools being closed?
Give some examples of schools closing for reasons other than lack of enrollment.

26,490 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
The whole idea of choice is saying I don't want my children going to school with certain groups. Yet wait until all the public schools are shut down. You will see how many black kids will be left out in the cold. In any case, charter schools are no more successful than public schools. The difference between the two is, one answers to the public, the other doesn't.
I feel sorry for you - that you are so blind that choice to you means race and race only. Shame on you for ignoring that public charters can't base any admissions on race.

I once worked at a charter school that was majority black.

Many people choose for other reasons:

-some charter schools specialize in specific areas.

Here is a school that specializes in getting kids ready for fields or interests in aviation:
West Michigan Aviation Academy

I could go on with more examples.

-Some people choose charter schools, because they offer various programs that are not offered at traditional schools.

-Sometimes it is a closer distance.

-Sometimes it is a better fit for the kid to go from a big school to a small one.

Etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
But shouldn't people have a choice? If I want my children to go to a good school where they would not be attacked, deal with crime, etc, I should have that choice.

Just deal with the reality: Most Americans segregate themselves.

Latinos with Latinos.
Blacks with blacks.
Whites with whites.

You cannot force people to associate with groups if they do not want to. I personally am friends with all races and ethnicity, white, black, Latino, etc.

However, if I want to talk to a white person or a black person or a Asian person, I should have the right to do so. I should have the right not to.
Okay, then the answer should be more funding and resources to majority black public schools. Give them good teachers, black teachers in particular, and pay them. The answer isn't charter or private schools that these kids have to be bused to. Plus there's no research showing black kids do significantly better at charter schools vs public schools, and like I said earlier, there will be a lot of kids left out in the cold without a school at all.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:49 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
The charter school my little sister goes to is roughly 90% minority.
Something like 30% black, 25% White, 25% Asian and 20% Hispanic with half of the white people being off middle eastern/ North African origin. Charter schools in the Houston area are very minority heavy.

Reason why white kids don’t normally go to Charter schools is because they are already in good school districts although since Houston is a minority heavy metro the dynamics are different from other metros in the sense that many suburban areas are dominated by well to do minorities in the first place or have a even 50-50 or more leaning in favor of whites split, for example the whitest large school district in the Houston area is probably 70% or less white. Either way minorities that live in poor areas send their kids to good charter schools as well as well to do minorities who don’t trust public schools and just religious people in general across Houston ashich leads to many suburban charter schools that have a mix of poor kids, children of charter school alumni/ people who don’t trust public schools including religious people.

NN, the demographics of the Charter schools in IL support what you've posted.

https://www.incschools.org/tableau/?...hics&index=0-0

I agree that people who send their kids to Charter schools do so to get them away from a group, but the group seems to be the group that doesn't want to learn and is disruptive, it's not based on race.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Give some examples of schools closing for reasons other than lack of enrollment.
I have no specific examples of school closings, but I do know most schools that close in this country, are black schools. If public schools were so terrible, why aren't white schools closing down all over the place? That's what I'm pointing out. Even for the black kids who go to a better school, most of the kids from the closing school, find a better school. They are left out in the cold.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:53 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Okay, then the answer should be more funding and resources to majority black public schools. Give them good teachers, black teachers in particular, and pay them. The answer isn't charter or private schools that these kids have to be bused to. Plus there's no research showing black kids do significantly better at charter schools vs public schools, and like I said earlier, there will be a lot of kids left out in the cold without a school at all.
Chicago's black schools have black teachers. Not the answer, because that's not the problem. Next....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies