Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 07:17 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,586,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
School districts should hire the best black teachers who have a desire to educate the future of America's workforce.
So, is that all education is good for now, is to become some cog in the wheel in a workforce? That is NOT the American ideal! That is anti-American!

Old 01-23-2018, 07:18 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,990,937 times
Quote:
"It's literally that simple" says some members of the far-left. Charter schools is just a code word for "I don't want my children going to school with black and brown people".

Says the left. Is this true?
I've NEVER EVER heard that.

Isn't California one of the states that has the most charter schools ever?

Old 01-23-2018, 07:18 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,221,847 times
Quote:
"It's literally that simple" says some members of the far-left. Charter schools is just a code word for "I don't want my children going to school with black and brown people".

Says the left. Is this true?
If people don't want to go to school with a "diverse" group, and would prefer to go to school with people like themselves, why is that a problem? Its nobody else's business what you do or who you choose to associate with. We are constitutionally guaranteed the freedom of association. That means the government doesn't get to dictate who you hang out with.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:22 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,586,420 times
Interestingly, I can see the common denominator between the going to charter schools, private schools, or even homeschooling, as well as those that tend to do well in public schools: the parents care. Either they push their kids to do well in the public schools, or they send them to charter schools, private schools, or even teach them at home if they think the public schools won't help them.

It has nothing, interestingly, to do with race or even income level.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:07 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,221,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
The idea is for black kids to move away from the so called trouble makers. The real problem is you have white teachers deeming black kids as trouble makers. We need more black teachers and we need more resources going into black public schools. Notice how white public schools are still open, while they're closing down black schools left and right.

Now, what is going to happen to the kids who can't join a private or charter school? Nobody cares about that, and yes, that is racism in action. Using policy to effect a group of people due to their ethnicity.
The problem isn't white teachers mistakenly deeming black kids as trouble makers, the actual problem is that black kids ARE more likely to BE trouble makers. The Oakland School District, which has a black superintendent and about the same percentage of black teachers as black students, is proof of this dynamic. https://www.truthrevolt.org/news/too...top-punishment

Should also be noted, that other than teachers, that blacks are more than 50% of the staff of the district (whites are 15%), including more than 37% of the "district office" staff (whites are 27%). This when blacks are only 27% of the population of Oakland itself.

So you can't blame whites for this disaster. You can blame black management, or disproportionate black control of the system....but the white teachers aren't the problem...the kids are the problem.

BTW, Oakland three years ago when that article above was published was spending more than $12,600/student/year, in its 2014-2015 budget. This was significantly more than the state average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
The charter school my little sister goes to is roughly 90% minority.
Something like 30% black, 25% White, 25% Asian and 20% Hispanic with half of the white people being off middle eastern/ North African origin. Charter schools in the Houston area are very minority heavy.

Reason why white kids don’t normally go to Charter schools is because they are already in good school districts although since Houston is a minority heavy metro the dynamics are different from other metros in the sense that many suburban areas are dominated by well to do minorities in the first place or have a even 50-50 or more leaning in favor of whites split, for example the whitest large school district in the Houston area is probably 70% or less white. Either way minorities that live in poor areas send their kids to good charter schools as well as well to do minorities who don’t trust public schools and just religious people in general across Houston ashich leads to many suburban charter schools that have a mix of poor kids, children of charter school alumni/ people who don’t trust public schools including religious people.
Sounds like a sh thole school to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Chicago's black schools have black teachers. Not the answer, because that's not the problem. Next....
Yah, but it can't be an issue of their own creation because blacks aren't responsible for anything that they do. According to liberal doctrine. So it must be "racism".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
My granddaughter goes to a STEM-focused K-12 charter school. Only motivated parents that value education apply for the lottery to get in. There's something like 8 applications for every slot in the school. The thing is, the curriculum is college-bound only and with an emphasis on STEM subjects, though all kids starting in Kindergarten are also required to learn Spanish and be fluent by 12th grade. Dumb kids or unmotivated kids aren't going to be able to keep up with the curriculum. In kindergarten my granddaughter is already getting physics lessons and can tell you what gravity and friction are.

My daughter and son-in-law are thrilled that their kids can go to school with other smart motivated kids and not be dragged down with the sometimes chaotic environment of regular public schools where the problem kids are allowed to run the classroom and the curriculum is set to the lowest common denominator.
My daughter is a public school teacher and can attest to this. A couple years back she had a newly arrived "immigrant" show up in her class (7th grade) that spoke no English and had never gone to school before. He was totally illiterate in Spanish and so even bilingual materials couldn't help. It would be deemed a successful day if she could just get him to stay in his seat while she was trying to teach the rest of the class, which included kids trying to learn and kids who weren't and who had parents that just didn't care. The kids that were trying to learn got shortchanged in that environment.
Yep, this is something that rarely ever comes to light in debates over immigration and illegal aliens. They are stealing the birthright of American citizens. (actual birthright, which accrues only to native born citizens who are the children of citizens, and not invaders or anchor babies),

Old 01-26-2018, 11:13 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times
Most charter schools are majority minority.

My oldest child went to a charter in Atlanta that was 96% black.

It is only now becoming more diverse since gentrification is occurring in the city of Atlanta and white parents, like the black parents, don't want their kids going to crappy APS schools.

However, I will note that many gentrifiers do create charter schools under the guise of not wanting their children to go to school minority kids. I've seen it and heard parents basically "code speak" about it plenty of times. It is very telling in regards to the fact that oftentimes the neighborhood school isn't bad at all, but may be majority black and the white parents get together to open a new school. It is funny to me because most of the time these are liberal whites who claim to like diversity, yet don't want their kids to go to school as a minority. The 4% of white children at my son's school at the time were from homes where their parents actually weren't liberal white racist IMO. They saw the value in the school (it was and still is a great educational facility) and so made sure to get their kids in that school no matter the ethnic makeup.

It is always interesting to me in that oftentimes people think black parents should send their kids to a school as an extreme minority (less than 5-10% black student body) yet they would never do the same thing with their white children in reverse.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
The problem isn't white teachers mistakenly deeming black kids as trouble makers, the actual problem is that black kids ARE more likely to BE trouble makers. The Oakland School District, which has a black superintendent and about the same percentage of black teachers as black students, is proof of this dynamic. https://www.truthrevolt.org/news/too...top-punishment

Should also be noted, that other than teachers, that blacks are more than 50% of the staff of the district (whites are 15%), including more than 37% of the "district office" staff (whites are 27%). This when blacks are only 27% of the population of Oakland itself.

So you can't blame whites for this disaster. You can blame black management, or disproportionate black control of the system....but the white teachers aren't the problem...the kids are the problem.

BTW, Oakland three years ago when that article above was published was spending more than $12,600/student/year, in its 2014-2015 budget. This was significantly more than the state average.

FYI - black people can be and are very biased against black people and children as well. For some reason many people in America don't seem to understand that the psychological conditioning of black Americans over the decades, which have consistently taught the demographic that they are worse in every way than everyone else, is something that is engrained in many black Americans and as a result, many blacks often exhibit racism against their own demographic.

I am black and this internalization of the "inferiority complex" in black America, is IMO the biggest "issue" of black America. Not all the other crap that Americans want to focus on.

Often the kids are not the problem. I have worked with children many times including these so-called "bad" kids that teachers often stimatize as "bad" and didn't have a problem with those kids. I have many educators as well in my family and there are many more dynamics occurring in schools and school districts at play other than most realize. A black teacher/administrator, can and will give a pass to a white, hispanic, or Asian kid on behavioral issues that they would never give to a black kid because nearly every American internalizes the biases of black children as being "bad" versus other kids.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
If people don't want to go to school with a "diverse" group, and would prefer to go to school with people like themselves, why is that a problem? Its nobody else's business what you do or who you choose to associate with. We are constitutionally guaranteed the freedom of association. That means the government doesn't get to dictate who you hang out with.
It's not a problem IMO but don't pretend to want diversity then shun at it in reality. If you don't want your kids to go to school with black people IMO that is fine. I'll admit, I'd never send my kids to a school that was less than 20% black. I never have and never will and hope that they chose to go to an HBCU for college. I'm not going to lie and say I "value diversity" and then do the things above, I'm going to be honest and say I don't want my kids to be an extreme minority in public school and that for college, I'd rather they go to a highly esteemed HBCU (not all of them are that great) that will give them a very developed cultural knowledge about what it means to be black in America so that they will not fall prey to the black inferiority complex way of thinking I mentioned earlier.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I used to work with two women who were always fretting that their kids might not get into the Magnet school. They did not want their kids going to the regular public school because of all the problems. Hardly about race since both were black.

If administrations and teachers were actually allowed to enforce policy and remove the handful of disruptors from the classes so the others could learn something, most of these issues would go away.

The loudmouths stop the teachers from teaching, the whole school is dragged down and being a low performing school means that's going to be the one that is closed when it comes time for budget cuts.

It has zero to do with the race of the teachers whose hands are so tied that they often cannot control their classrooms.

Not that Chicago teachers are great - but they should be doing more than just babysitting.
ITA with the bold across the board in regards to public schools. I remember when I was younger, we had a "special" school for the bad kids, who didn't know how to behave in class. I lived in a so-called bad inner city neighborhood and went to my neighborhood schools and I received a great education primarily because when the bad kids got too bad, they'd be kicked out of our school and send to a "center" away from us.

Some of my old teachers said they closed this sort of system down in part due to the ADA whereas many of those "bad" kids now are deemed "disabled" and it being seen as discrimination against people with disabilities. I kind of understand that, but I also do believe that if a child has disabilities that cause the other students disruptions in their learning, then the majority needs to outweigh that minority and the disabled child should get their own special center that can more adequately meet their needs until they are ready for a regular classroom environment.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:33 AM

14,479 posts, read 11,272,235 times
My wife is on the board of a charter school here in Boston. I think that whites make up maybe 3 to 5% of the student body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies