U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2018, 03:18 AM

9,448 posts, read 4,332,705 times

Advertisements

As Trump announces tariffs, Trudeau unveils Canada’s new trade deal with Asia

Quote:
Hours after the Trump administration announced its first major tariffs on imported washing machines and solar panels, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told a global audience that his country had just reached a historic trade deal with 10 Asia-Pacific countries. The symbolism from Canada was clear: When it comes to trade, the rest of the world is ready to move forward without President Trump.

Pacific trade deal progresses with Canada and without US

It will be interesting to see where these strategies lead.

Isolationism sounds good to many in theory, but I fear it'll come at a great cost to America. And the message being sent here is clear, many in the world are prepared to move on without us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 03:22 AM

12,039 posts, read 3,321,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post

Isolationism sounds good to many in theory, but I fear it'll come at a great cost to America. And the message being sent here is clear, many in the world are prepared to move on without us.
I expect Canada's trade deficit will increase.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:34 AM

29,007 posts, read 19,031,716 times
Quote:

Ah yes, our good friends the communist Chinese...

U.S. media: PLA Navy to top the world in 2020 - China Military Online

Old 01-24-2018, 04:48 AM

33,060 posts, read 12,557,512 times
Quote:
Isolationism sounds good to many in theory, but I fear it'll come at a great cost to America. And the message being sent here is clear, many in the world are prepared to move on without us. ...
We'll soon be running our own lemonade stand where we only sell cold drinks to each other.

How's that going to work out?

Old 01-24-2018, 04:52 AM

33,060 posts, read 12,557,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I expect Canada's trade deficit will increase.
Whatever you expect, here's what is going on now.

Check out this thread.

Canada sees job vacancies increase 15% and unemployment down to 40 year lows

Old 01-24-2018, 05:04 AM

15,857 posts, read 8,449,787 times
Quote:
Are you sure that Trump is pushing isolationism instead of protectionism? I think we need to be very clear about terms here, because MSNBC was seemingly pushing the word "isolationism" as a way to deceive viewers who don't have much of an understanding.

I don't think Trump wants to completely shut off trade, but rather feels that our large trade deficit is hurting our economy and he is trying to fight against that.

Many economists and financial people, including liberal icons Paul Krugman and Warren Buffett, argue that long-term large trade deficits hurt the economy. And sure those two are known for flipping their arguments based on partisan reasons, but they each have a clear track record agreeing that trade deficits hurt the country.

Economist's View: Paul Krugman: CSI Trade Deficit

Warren Buffett: Here's How I Would Solve the Trade Problem | Fortune

Old 01-24-2018, 05:15 AM

5,476 posts, read 2,321,338 times
Now I understand MAGA....bring back the 1930s...since tariffs and trade wars were so good for the nation and the world.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:55 AM

27,901 posts, read 37,925,268 times
Pulling out of TPP was the dumbest strategic and economic move in US history.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:11 AM

1,215 posts, read 276,180 times
I founded by luck this post on Toonzone forums about the TPP posted in 2015 where a Canadian poster is intrigued by the importation of milk along with these vlogs from 2015 when they beginned to talk about the TPP. The 2nd video had a length of 2h55.
https://www.toonzone.net/forums/thre...#post-83962282

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSkUJ3DAO-w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp8e6zWZTPE

Edit: Let's wait and see if these fears might come true.

Last edited by Hrw-500; 01-24-2018 at 06:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies