Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 12:59 PM

183 posts, read 103,640 times

Advertisements

This is from a harvard-harris poll. I have never met anyone who really wants large scale immigration in their communities. The politicians, both republican and democrats are very out of touch. This is one of the major issues that gave trump his shock election victory and trump knows it.

Deputy White House press secretary Hogan Gidley touted a Harvard Harris poll on Morning Edition Tuesday, saying that it showed Americans support the president's agenda.

"It's an 80-percent issue, people want to close down the borders," he told NPR's Rachel Martin. "It's a 70-percent issue to end chain migration. [A] 68-percent issue to end the visa lottery program and ask people to come here on merit. That's a 70-percent issue. And this is a study from Harvard."

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...l-immigration/

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/23/58003...o-and-dont-say
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 01:08 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,775,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero99 View Post
This is from a harvard-harris poll. I have never met anyone who really wants large scale immigration in their communities. The politicians, both republican and democrats are very out of touch. This is one of the major issues that gave trump his shock election victory and trump knows it.

Deputy White House press secretary Hogan Gidley touted a Harvard Harris poll on Morning Edition Tuesday, saying that it showed Americans support the president's agenda.

"It's an 80-percent issue, people want to close down the borders," he told NPR's Rachel Martin. "It's a 70-percent issue to end chain migration. [A] 68-percent issue to end the visa lottery program and ask people to come here on merit. That's a 70-percent issue. And this is a study from Harvard."

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...l-immigration/

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/23/58003...o-and-dont-say
I don't always trust polls, but I agree with all of your comments.

& that 70% wanting to end Chain Migration would be 90% or higher (if people understood the Economic impact of chain migration). It's a No Brainer & I hope Trump puts as much emphasis on this issue as he does "the wall".

Old 01-24-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I don't always trust polls, but I agree with all of your comments.

& that 70% wanting to end Chain Migration would be 90% or higher (if people understood the Economic impact of chain migration). It's a No Brainer & I hope Trump puts as much emphasis on this issue as he does "the wall".
I agree with this . I was not surprised to see Americans want less legal immigration overall. For so much of the 20th century legal immigration was in the hundreds of thousands and then it exploded.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:24 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,861,606 times
Quote:
I agree with this . I was not surprised to see Americans want less legal immigration overall. For so much of the 20th century legal immigration was in the hundreds of thousands and then it exploded.
It was globalized and expanded after 1965, then exploded in 1990 to current. Fifty years of mass, globalized immigration and it's long past time for a change.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:34 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,632,895 times
I was wondering when someone was going to post this information.

The Dems are so out of touch with the majority of most citizens.

They keep adding layers to the bubble and deprive themselves of O2.

Soon they will be showing up in public in full body condoms.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It was globalized and expanded after 1965, then exploded in 1990 to current. Fifty years of mass, globalized immigration and it's long past time for a change.
Yet Lindsey graham thinks stephen miller is "out of touch" lol. These politicians , many of them republican,still dont understand trump voters and why he won.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:29 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,775,748 times
Quote:
Yet Lindsey graham thinks stephen miller is "out of touch" lol. These politicians , many of them republican,still dont understand trump voters and why he won.
Graham & 30-40% of other Republican Congressmen are beholden to their Business Donors (who employ illegals) & who WANT CHEAP LABOR. (even if it ends up being expensive in the long run for the country and ends up costing tax payers more - in 5 different ways. No skin off the Business Donor's back & no skin off of Graham and other Republicans....until people like us multiply and get louder.

E-Verify really is an important component (along with ending the chain and the lottery). Roll out E Verify, Toss a few Businessmen in Jail, you toob the cr*p out of the Perp Walk......& the rest of the "Employer of Illegals" will fall in line.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:37 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,298,722 times
I don't support about 90% of what Trump says or his policy agenda but on immigration he is spot on.

As it is we are too quickly losing the ability to assimilate new citizens and residents (which I think is one reason why there is a complete and total disregard for American history, especially on the east coast). Of course, culture is not static but there is difference between evolution and total upending.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:41 PM

25,915 posts, read 22,064,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
I don't support about 90% of what Trump says or his policy agenda but on immigration he is spot on.

As it is we are too quickly losing the ability to assimilate new citizens and residents (which I think is one reason why there is a complete and total disregard for American history, especially on the east coast). Of course, culture is not static but there is difference between evolution and total upending.
Many that don't support much of what Trump supports and who Trump is do support his agenda on immigration. Dems need to pay attention to that as it lost them the last election, will cost them in mid-terms with (Schumer's mouth) and 2020 will be here sooner than we all think.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:45 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,255,472 times
Keep in mind that when Schumer and the Media kept saying "Trump said he would sign a bill that was brought to him - and he rejected the bi-partisan agreement that was brought to him" ..... they are comparing Apples to Concrete Blocks.

1). Lindsay Graham & Jeff Flake do NOT represent all Republicans.
2). A proposal is NOT a bill that has been passed, there is nothing to "sign".

The Harvard-Harris poll pretty fairly represents the feelings of Republicans, Democrats & Independents.
It's why Schumer grabbed the Off-Ramp and quit while he was behind, but not so deep in a hole that he couldn't get out.

I won't be surprised if a group of Democrats join with some "moderate" GOP Senators and cut Schumer/Durbin out of the negotiations to basically get what this poll indicates.

DACA protection
NO Chain Migration
No open Lottery
No auto Residency for DACA parents.

I am totally against ANY sponsorship of Residency by a Non-Citizen -- ONLY Citizens should be able to sponsor immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies