Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 03:01 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
GE I believe has or is selling their appliance division...besides them not sure if anyone makes them here anymore...year's ago, Maytag closed their large plant in Northwest Ohio and shipped those jobs to Mexico.

General Electric *sold* their appliance division to Haier, a Chinese company last year.

In fact look for GE to be getting shot of more divisions including railroad.....

Odd thing is when Maytag was swirling down the pan the Chinese wanted to buy. That caused such an outrage that the only other viable suitor (and Maytag's arch rival for decades) Whirlpool was given the green light to go ahead.

Over the years via mergers and acquisitions basically a few of major companies own nearly all American appliance brand names, including those many haven't seen in ages like Norge, Chambers, etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 03:05 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Why didn't you complain when Obama raised tariffs for LG and Samsung washing machines?

Who knew liberals were such free traders and for dumping ,and against working Americans? Who knew they were against a "tax"?

Old 01-25-2018, 03:09 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
As others have already stated in this and similar threads on the matter, tariffs are nothing but taxes. As such simple another CODB that can and often are passed on from manufacturers.

That and or when you place one part of a market under restrictions (price increases) it gives the others an opportunity to raise their prices due to elimination of competition.

Anyone who has studied even entry college level economics would know on balance tariffs rarely work as intended, and or simply cause distortions in economies.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:20 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post

Tennesee

Sort of wrong. They make good refrigerators, laundry, and a decent range. Dishwashers are terrible. Samsung is a brutal company. Didnt send in your warranty card? They probably wont help and no, the do not care. Their solution to their top load washer issue is inexcusable and quite frankly Im surprised they got away with it.
They broke ground 5 months ago and it's in an area where there many other companies also (Hankook, Letica, Google [formerly the Hemlock Semiconductor site] also close to one of my favorite wineries).
Trump tariff decision hurts LG as it builds Clarksville plant, but could pay off later

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Wrong. LG is strong in refrigerators and Laundry. Samsung is strong in refrigerators and front load laundry. Both stink at dishwashers tho Samsung stinks more. Both companies are not great at warranty work if you didnt bother to do the warranty card or do it on line.

GE is a terrible bet in dishwashers and front load laundry. GE appliances being owned by Haier now.... dont bet on that plant staying in KY long term.

You want awesome quality and insane lifespan Speedqueen which is only local dealers and runs over 1000 dollars a unit. If you are willing to pay, they are built in WI.
Samsungs fridges (along with their washers) are horrible. The one we had in our house water collected and froze in the bottom of the fridge. The rental we have the ice dispenser has been replaced once by our landlord and both fridges make some super weird noises. Both started all these crazy things 2 years into ownership. It pays to have mutual friends that your landlord has.

Many who are replacing or getting rid of their Samsung top loading washers are buying Maytags and Whirlpools off people and in the stores. Also they are gravitating toward Speed Queens also.
ETA: This popped up in my "memories" on FB today. https://www.click2houston.com/consum...sion-agreement

Last edited by ladybug07; 01-25-2018 at 03:33 PM..

Old 01-25-2018, 04:21 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,378,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Please name the location in America where they make washing machines.
That's already been answered at least twice, but ok, here we go again. Speed Queen is made in Wisconsin and I think Whirlpool is made in Ohio. Speed Queen uses all American parts but Whirlpool parts come from overseas I believe.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:18 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
That's already been answered at least twice, but ok, here we go again. Speed Queen is made in Wisconsin and I think Whirlpool is made in Ohio. Speed Queen uses all American parts but Whirlpool parts come from overseas I believe.
Whirpool is a mix. Some computer chips, simply are only made in east Asia. Most of the rest of the parts are US. Supply chain is global. ED Nurse said would not pay more... I would rather support an American worker, even if I have to pay a bit more. (Note a bit does not equal ALOT.) That being said, Whirlpool prices are about the same as LG and Samsung. Those 3 are my only laundry go-to's. I work at a major store. Speed Queen does not sell at major stores.

Understand every company has its strong and weak products. GE... ranges. LG most except dishwashers. Samsung... refrigerators. Whirplool is most things. Their weakness is they suck at innovatiion. I remember they tried to be innovative with french door refrigerators. Made this huge fuss about how they came out with a hybrid sized ice maker that took up less room inside because part of it stuck out of the top of the refrigerator. Our old Whirlpool re comes in...

WP rep, 'look at this new french door refrigerator. We will sell huge numbers. The ice maker takes up much less room inside. We will sell massive numbers of these!"
Me, "No you wont"
WP rep gets mad and walks away without asking why. LOL I remember this and some comment on being a negative Nelly.
6 months later the WP rep comes in, "You will be getting a new model french door from us."
Me, "Yep the old one was too tall to fit in anyone's house. WASNT IT!"
I saw it immediately because the number one thing about a refrigerator is the sizes are not standard. There are patterns but no true standard, especially on height. A dishwasher space is a dishwasher space. It is under the counter and 24" wide. Refrigerator spaces are damn near random in houses. When someone comes in for a fridge, the FIRST thing I ask is how big the space for it is. I dont care if you have a family of 10. If the space is 30 inches wide, and many are, you are not putting that mega size french door there.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:22 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,378,485 times
The 'jacked up' price reflects the tariff.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:32 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
The 'jacked up' price reflects the tariff.
If anyone calls $50 "jacked up" they must be really really poor considering they cost anywhere from 500-1k.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:33 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,073 times
If we enjoy low prices because of unfair foreign competition, it's on us. We shouldn't let Americans lose their jobs because other countries don't trade fairly.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:36 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
If we enjoy low prices because of unfair foreign competition, it's on us. We shouldn't let Americans lose their jobs because other countries don't trade fairly.
Not too long ago Leftists where crowing about globalism and were saying that we should pay more for goods if it helps America, now that it's happening they don't like it. Hypocrisy is the useful idiot's mainstay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies