Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should non-essential government workers be paid after a shutdown?
Yes 115 64.25%
No 64 35.75%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 07:15 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times

Advertisements

During a shut down, National Parks are closed.

People plan entire vacations around visiting a National Park are not permitted access. The Federal Government loses $ millions in fees and concession sales. Employees face uncertainty if they will be paid or not.

Guess the Federal Parks could turn over all Federal land to the people, a free for all. Garbage could accumulate forever. People could squat indefinitely. Animals could be hunted till no more. Meth Labs could be erected and protected by force. Turf Wars could erupt and the best armed takes all.

Conversely, the Federal Government could sell all Federal Parks ( and land for that matter) to the highest bidders, including foreigners and be done with it. New owners could choose to permanently close the parks and use the land as they see fit to do. Or perhaps they could seek to operate as for profit operations.

In the meantime, essential employees continue to wash and press the First Family's laundry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 07:29 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Baloney. I am an IT contractor. When my customer decides to furlough us for two weeks, we don't get back pay. You don't work, you don't get paid.
Apples and oranges.

Contractor-customer relationships are not the same as employee-employer relationships.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:52 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Baloney. I am an IT contractor. When my customer decides to furlough us for two weeks, we don't get back pay. You don't work, you don't get paid.
Contractor. Not an employee.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:56 PM

16,761 posts, read 8,207,350 times
Not fault of employee who was ready to go to a scheduled day. Mgt shut down the job. So The employer is responsible. The action to take by employee is collect UE if employer does not give back pay.

That would really PO some on this board.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:03 PM

16,761 posts, read 8,207,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
In the private sector .......

When a Union calls a strike and the company shuts down (except for essential jobs) - the Union Employees are not paid and the non-union employees are not paid. They can take paid vacation days if they have them.

Why should TaxPayer funded jobs be any different?
When I was on strike the only ones not paid were the strikers.

When a picket line was placed in front of my job by another local, the company was required, by contract, to pay us even if we did not cross the line.

Unions can be good.

In this case the employees were locked out by Mgt. So back pay is required or all those workers can go on UE and screw up the majority parties numbers for the month.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:47 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Apples and oranges.

Contractor-customer relationships are not the same as employee-employer relationships.
And when a coal mine or offshore oil drilling platform is shut down because of the Obama EPA, none of those workers get back pay.....

Old 12-24-2018, 09:49 PM

I do wonder if government contractors still get back pay in a federal shutdown.

Perfect time to dig up this thread btw lol

Old 12-24-2018, 10:07 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I do wonder if government contractors still get back pay in a federal shutdown.

Perfect time to dig up this thread btw lol
From what I've read online, contractors usually don't get back-pay. Since federal employees do get back-pay, the only inconvenience to them is that monthly bills are disrupted for those who don't have a lot of savings. I think that being in the national spotlight and not being able to go to work is mentally taxing and embarrassing (especially this time of year with big gatherings, having to answer questions); which may be as mentally taxing as not being paid on time.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:55 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
There are some essential government workers (such as the military, medical staff in VA hospitals, etc) who obviously should get back pay since they did go to work during a shutdown.

But should non-essential government workers who are furloughed get back pay? Shouldn't they have to use their vacation time? Is it fair to the "essential" workers that the non-essential ones are paid just to stay home? Is it fair to the American taxpayer to pay them for not working? And then they probably can argue they need "overtime" to catch up on the work during the shutdown........

I personally think federal workers who didn't actually work during a shutdown shouldn't get paid.
Why not?

My former and my current congressional Representatives never did do their jobs. They never really worked and the got paid.

All the “Freedom Caucus” ever does is say no, obstruct and contribute ZERO ideas. They get paid.

I don’t see you complaining about them.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Why not?

My former and my current congressional Representatives never did do their jobs. They never really worked and the got paid.

All the “Freedom Caucus” ever does is say no, obstruct and contribute ZERO ideas. They get paid.

I don’t see you complaining about them.
So because they didn't support the Obama agenda it wasn't work????? LOL.

So you're in Arizona? I"m sure Sinema would wish you could even be paid to go fight for the Taliban.

Republicans DO have ideas like a business friendly environment, supporting our military and police, and being pro life and putting America and Americans first. And protecting our borders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies