Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2018, 11:42 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Why was it necessary to include pro-LGBT rhetoric at a hockey game?

How does it reach out to LGBT fans?

What percent of the fan base of the NHL is LGBT?

What percent of the LGBT fan base has been protesting the NHL for being homophobic and discriminatory toward LGBT players and fans?

Was the NHL in danger of losing profits by not promoting LGBT agenda?

So ... Where did the pressure come from to include this kind of rhetoric?

The only issues that gays are fighting for is the right to buy a cake. Which they can. They can buy as many cakes as they want. Just go to the bakery next door, or across the street, or order it online, they'll be happy to take your money.
OK, first of all these so called pride nights are happening in most sports. MLB has been having them for several years now. The NHL and NBA have jumped on board over the past few years, and there has been a few NFL teams that had Pride day. Can not give a more specific answer other then "sports is all about diversity and inclusion".

As far as activism within sports, I said earlier sports was a bastion for homophobia, and still can be and needs to be completely eliminated. What we see more of now within sports is casual homophobia, meaning someone may not be homophobic but may use a homophobic slur, or tell a homophobic joke. Am sure you know what they are. It could be a simple joke regarding homosexuality not realizing the guy sitting next to you in the locker-room is a closeted homosexual. Those same people would certainly not tell an ethnic joke in front of someone of the ethnicity that is the subject of the joke.

On another note athletes can be very inspiring to both fans and our youth who have inspirations of excelling in sports. Hence "You Can Play Videos" and other outreach can play a positive role on how people will conduct themselves in the stands, on the field and in the locker-room. Using an old term, "a melting pot", sports is exactly that. It is a melting pot of those from different races, religions, sexual orientations and sexual identities.

To answer you on wedding cakes, not to get into the legalities of the issue, but my opinion would be a question asking; "why would anyone seek out service from one that does not want to provide the service? I would be afraid of a sub-par product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Formerly male transgender "females" are even able to compete in women's events at the Olympics. That's grotesquely unfair and everyone knows it.
The OIC policy was adapted after the NCAA. Both policies state they can be changed at any time if their is evidence a clear advantage exists. "Clear advantage" is the key term here. Sure some trans females will have advantages over some cis-gender females, same as some cis-gender females have advantages over other cis-gender females. "Clear advantage" would be the trans female having advantages over all cis-gender females.

If any changes were to be made to both the NCAA or IOC policy it would most likely be by dropping individual sport but never team sport.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:54 AM

1,704 posts, read 748,682 times
Quote:
I can be fired for any reason at any time. It's called at-will employment. Deal with it. I do.

Post the law that says it is legal for a landlord to evict someone because they are gay.

Discrimination at colleges?? Really???? You have to be joking. Have you been paying attention to what is happening on college campuses? I'll play along though: Show me the LAW that states that it is 100% A-OK to discriminate against an LGBT college student by a college.

As far as assault, men are more likely to be victims of violent crime than any other group. Perhaps we should start a Leave Men Alone campaign? Think that would fly? And if you are really that upset by the fact that you think LGBT people are being beaten up by the thousands every day, maybe start a MA club to teach them how to protect themselves.

Your points .... aren't. Educate yourself to the reality of the world around you, not just LGBT talking points.

LGBT discriminated against on college campuses. That's a good one, really.
There are many right-winged conservative college professors who aren't impressed with the fact that an LGBT member now occupies a seat within their classroom, taking a seat that could otherwise be occupied by someone more "worthy" who has "higher" social and moral values.

It's the so-called "at-will" employment that's the problem. Essentially, it's saying if you're vocal minority activist, an intelligent adamant female, or a member of the LGBT community, an employer can easily dismiss you with complete impunity.

It's not so much that a gay or transgender can be evicted. It's more of a fact that an LGBT member is more likely to be "denied" appropriate housing by an unscrupulous landlord.

An MA club would be nice. However, concealed carry seems a much better option.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:02 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
OK, first of all these so called pride nights are happening in most sports. MLB has been having them for several years now. The NHL and NBA have jumped on board over the past few years, and there has been a few NFL teams that had Pride day. Can not give a more specific answer other then "sports is all about diversity and inclusion".

As far as activism within sports, I said earlier sports was a bastion for homophobia, and still can be and needs to be completely eliminated. What we see more of now within sports is casual homophobia, meaning someone may not be homophobic but may use a homophobic slur, or tell a homophobic joke. Am sure you know what they are. It could be a simple joke regarding homosexuality not realizing the guy sitting next to you in the locker-room is a closeted homosexual. Those same people would certainly not tell an ethnic joke in front of someone of the ethnicity that is the subject of the joke.

On another note athletes can be very inspiring to both fans and our youth who have inspirations of excelling in sports. Hence "You Can Play Videos" and other outreach can play a positive role on how people will conduct themselves in the stands, on the field and in the locker-room. Using an old term, "a melting pot", sports is exactly that. It is a melting pot of those from different races, religions, sexual orientations and sexual identities.

To answer you on wedding cakes, not to get into the legalities of the issue, but my opinion would be a question asking; "why would anyone seek out service from one that does not want to provide the service? I would be afraid of a sub-par product.
So because diversity and stuff is the answer = LGBT agenda. It has nothing, really, to do with reality.

It assumes that there are gay people in the closet.
It assumes that someone is going to tell a gay joke.
It assumes that the closeted person will hear the gay joke.
It assumes that this will cause tremendous mental anguish and mental illness to the closeted gay person.

To combat this, all sports figures must wear rainbows and participate in talking about diversity.

Next time someone says something I interpret to be offensive, I'm calling the NHL. They will handle it, right?

Or, I just say in my head, What a jerk, and move on with my day. Seems like a healthy, productive way to go about my life.

People CHOOSE to be victims. And these types of ongoing agendas promote being a victim more than anything else. As well as assuming that everyone is a bigot. Why else would they be doing this if not to educate everyone on how awful they are?

It's an agenda.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
So because diversity and stuff is the answer = LGBT agenda. It has nothing, really, to do with reality.

It assumes that this will cause tremendous mental anguish and mental illness to the closeted gay person.

To combat this, all sports figures must wear rainbows and participate in talking about diversity.

Next time someone says something I interpret to be offensive, I'm calling the NHL. They will handle it, right?

Or, I just say in my head, What a jerk, and move on with my day. Seems like a healthy, productive way to go about my life.

People CHOOSE to be victims. And these types of ongoing agendas promote being a victim more than anything else. As well as assuming that everyone is a bigot. Why else would they be doing this if not to educate everyone on how awful they are?

It's an agenda.
Well if you want to look at it that way, knock yourself out. I guess you could say sports does use the bully pulpit somewhat.

Several years ago Arizona tried to pass a Religious Freedom Law, the NFL threatened to pull the Super Bowl, the states Governor vetoed the bill.

Georgia tried to pass a RFL at the same time Atlanta was bidding on a Super Bowl. NFL said no way if the law goes into affect. Gov vetoed it.

NC passed a potty law HB2. NBA moved All-Star game, NCAA and ACC moved events, Gov that signed it voted out of office, law repealed.

Last summer Texas tried to pass a potty bill. NFL said no more Super Bowls, NCAA was going to move Final Four, NHL was going to move the draft event. Bill voted down.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:

It's an agenda.
This all seems nuts!

Old 02-02-2018, 12:31 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Well if you want to look at it that way, knock yourself out. I guess you could say sports does use the bully pulpit somewhat.

Several years ago Arizona tried to pass a Religious Freedom Law, the NFL threatened to pull the Super Bowl, the states Governor vetoed the bill.

Georgia tried to pass a RFL at the same time Atlanta was bidding on a Super Bowl. NFL said no way if the law goes into affect. Gov vetoed it.

NC passed a potty law HB2. NBA moved All-Star game, NCAA and ACC moved events, Gov that signed it voted out of office, law repealed.

Last summer Texas tried to pass a potty bill. NFL said no more Super Bowls, NCAA was going to move Final Four, NHL was going to move the draft event. Bill voted down.
Of course they do. Sports, entertainment and government are one and the same.

It's a way to gain the attention of the majority of people, without the people feeling like they are being manipulated.

But the trans issue and the kneeling issue ... well, pushback has started. Even though people don;t understand why they are pushing back or that the initial actions are politically motivated and have nothing to do with sports.

And we're back ... to ... that 's why it's an AGENDA. It's not organic. It's calculated and rolled out. It's why celebrities are spouting about politics every 5 seconds. Do you really think they believe half of what they say? Do you really think the NHL players were THRILLED to wear rainbow shirts and talk about LGBT?

Of course not. But they are TOLD and ORDERED to in front of the public.

Does anyone with even 1/100th of a brain think that the professional basketball league gave a flying fig about BATHROOMS? Really?? THAT's the issue that is most important to the NBA? Where some guy gets to pee?? [now if the NBA took on poverty and single mothers in AA neighborhoods, that would make sense, look at the fan base/look at the players. So why don't they do that?]

Agenda. Over and over again.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:40 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
No!

Currently, gays and transgenders can be legally fired from their jobs simply due to the fact that they are LGBT members.
Currently, gays and transgenders can be legally denied housing simply due to the fact that they are LGBT members.
Currently, gays and transgenders are subject to discrimination at institutions of higher education simply due to the fact that they are members of the LGBT community.
Currently, gays and transgenders are bashed and physically attacked simply due to the fact that they would dare to present themselves as who they are in public.
Do you know WHY that is?

Gays and transgenders have FAILED to get US Congress to pass Federal legislation that adds them as a protected class under the Federal Civil Rights Act.

Fix that problem.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:45 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
The OIC policy was adapted after the NCAA. Both policies state they can be changed at any time if their is evidence a clear advantage exists. "Clear advantage" is the key term here. Sure some trans females will have advantages over some cis-gender females, same as some cis-gender females have advantages over other cis-gender females.
Bingo! That's what makes allowing transgender men who "think" they're women to compete as women BOGUS!

Old 02-02-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Do you know WHY that is?

Gays and transgenders have FAILED to get US Congress to pass Federal legislation that adds them as a protected class under the Federal Civil Rights Act.

Fix that problem.
Precisely!
Just because congress refuses to acknowledge the innate natural right of LGBT members equality of citizenship under the law, does not necessarily mean that their right to equal citizenship should not be acknowledged under the law, due to ignorance.

The only resolution to this problem is education!

Last edited by zeliner; 02-02-2018 at 03:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies