Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 03:49 PM

29,478 posts, read 22,503,445 times

Advertisements

And the answer is hell no.

But why is the media making this about Trump, or trying to make it seem like the ball's in his court?

This Army guy signed on the dotted line to honor his commitment and serve in the active duty Army after the Military Academy.

I don't like how he seems to be wavering between saying he will serve his duty, and that it also seems like he hopes someone raises the issue to higher ups of him being able to waive all of his required military service in order to enter the draft and play in the NFL. People like Roger Staubach served and went onto a distinguished NFL career.

Just freaking serve already.

Will President Trump grant Army NFL prospect waiver after season of ripping league, players over anthem?

Quote:
But there’s mystery surrounding Toth’s draft process that reverberates up to the highest levels of Washington bureaucracy. All the way up to the White House, actually, where President Trump has developed a combative relationship with the NFL.

By attending West Point, Toth has agreed to a mandatory military service requirement upon graduation. It’s a five-year commitment that would allow him to apply for a waiver to pursue a professional career after two years. He fully plans on fulfilling his military commitment. Toth majored in physics with a concentration in nuclear engineering, and on Feb. 17 he will learn about where he’ll be posted as an engineer.

There’s a possibility and precedent, however, for Toth’s military service to be waived. And that’s where things get complicated. For the Army, no recruiting campaign could replicate the reach of one of the most respected cadets on campus getting drafted and playing in America’s most visible sporting league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 04:08 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,293,551 times
No he will not since I am sure his SECDEF will advise against it. The guy owes military service for his education.

David Robinson served his time too as I recall. How such a tall guy fit on a submarine i do not know

Old 01-26-2018, 04:11 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,813,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
No he will not since I am sure his SECDEF will advise against it. The guy owes military service for his education.

David Robinson served his time too as I recall. How such a tall guy fit on a submarine i do not know
Also see Roger Staubach, among others.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:05 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,185,124 times
No.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:11 PM

2,825 posts, read 2,096,688 times
Nope

Old 01-26-2018, 10:06 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,785,877 times
He made a commitment he needs to man up and keep it.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:35 AM

56,989 posts, read 35,126,376 times
It’s more complicated than people think. M

First of all, he’s 6’6, 303 lbs. Way beyond the height to weight standard. That’s great for West Point football, but not exactly your ideal tanker or infantryman. Nearly all WP grads go into Combat Arms. I’m not even sure if he’s ideal for ADA since a lot of that is on track vehicles. He might make a decent artillery officer.

Secondly, the Army can get more mileage out of him by making him do a two year stint instead of a four year stint on active duty. He can do the rest of his time in the reserve. They’ll be able to better use him for promotions and recruiting by having him in the NFL. The military loves that stuff. I knew Ray Mercer (the boxer), and he was a walking marquee for the Army when he went to the Olympics.

David Robinson only gave 2 years on active duty and supposedly, it was because of his physical restrictions more than anything else. But the truth is more likely that he was far more valuable as a recruiting tool.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:41 AM

56,989 posts, read 35,126,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
He made a commitment he needs to man up and keep it.
He always intended to.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:47 AM

39,052 posts, read 27,474,301 times
well, There is an arbitrary minimum and maximum height/weight. Anything over or under will require a waiver. if i remember this correctly, I think the Max height is 80inches, this dude does not need a waiver for that. He's obviously smart and can PT, so yes, he can serve in the Army without a problem. <although my personal opinion is that he is too damn big (looks kind of silly) for the Army, but this doesn't mean that he cannot be an excellent army officer)

This said, he says he plans on fulfilling his commitment and is not lobbying for special treatment. The media is making this an issue, not him. He obviously does not have an entitlement issue.

I think NFL can wait, Roger Staubach did his Air Force commitment and THEN entered the NFL and became a legend.

But if he gets a waiver, I would have no issues with that.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:54 AM

57,074 posts, read 26,047,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post

I'm pretty sure David Robinson got a waiver for the last 3 years of service but served 2 due to him being around 7 feet after graduation, it would have been cruel to have him spend a full 5 years in a sub but they should have found another place for him.

This soldier has a degree in physics and going into nuclear engineering, seems like he should want to protect those brains.

some other military athletes:

https://www.military1.com/military-e...emies-gave-us/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies