Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 07:12 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,227,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
For the gazillionth time.. they can leave and apply the right way.
Yes and that is quite an easy answer to a rather complex problem.

Why you people refuse to consider all aspects and consequences to the removal of DACA astounds me.

Quote:
Nope.. not legally or morally. Just in their mind. My home is mansion in california... too bad that isn't reality.
I have no clue what you were attempting to say after "Just in their mind" so I'll ignore that part.
But yes, they are Americans in the fact that they were raised here since childhood, lived the American experience, went to American schools, participated in our culture, speak English, many served in the military, etc.

YES, for all intents and purposes they are JUST as American as I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Whatever. Sometimes a concept is just simple. Those who try to conflate it do so in order to avoid the truth.
Its not simple. Again.

Children were brought here by their parents. For many this is the only home they've ever known. How cold hearted must you be to send these people back to their places of birth even though they would be adrift not knowing anyone, the language, have a job, etc.? Seriously how CRUEL of a policy is that?

Most repugnant, though all of it is disgusting, is the deportation of the men and women who served in our armed forces, put their lives on the line for US and then we tell them to get the hell out?

FOUL.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:19 AM

2,825 posts, read 2,092,362 times
Looking back . . . The Indigenous/Native Americans probably wished that they had a few Walls.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:21 AM

39,033 posts, read 27,446,042 times
It is their parents' fault.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:29 AM

2,924 posts, read 1,581,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
The wall is not the solution and even trumpers know that. It's just a political promise they got conned into. Now neither they nor their Leader can back down from it, no matter how stupid an idea it is.
It's a good START. It will keep some out. Cracking down on Visa overstays would also help a ton.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
It is their parents' fault.
Well the horse is out of the barn. There is no going back at this point.

So what are we, as a country, going to do about it?

Find a balanced, compassionate and intelligent way to take care of this issue?

Or throw these people to the dogs, not caring that many of them have positively contributed to this country? Some of whom have served in our military? Many of them work in management, business, maintenance, repair and personal care and service occupations. Our economy will suffer without DACA.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:31 AM

30,010 posts, read 11,597,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Posts like the two above show just how insensitive some humans can be toward other humans. When some of us say we love our dogs and cats more than people, this is one of the reasons.

Odd lot we humans are, we only value lives that we choose to value, otherwise, those other humans are just a statistic and disposable.
I think the reality is somewhere between the first two far right posts and your far left post. One side has too much anger the other too much compassion, taking a complex issue and just using emotions instead of solutions.

The dreamers are by and large not criminals and thieves. I know quite a few personally. We have had a broken immigration system for decades and this is the result.

At the same token I have a big problem with people cutting in line to become legal residents when there are people all over the world waiting to do it the legal way.

So how about making every dreamer join the military for at least 5 years? Don't pay them a salary but provide barracks and food. Make them earn a skill while enlisted. Give them a green card that has to be renewed every 5 years. Break the law and they are deported. No path to citizenship ever. And these dreamers to be allowed to join the military have to have no criminal convictions at all.

The rest of the illegals need to go. Having an open border and loose immigration enforcement helps corrupt Mexico not deal with their own issues. Instead of having a safety net for their people its easier to just let them come here. End automatic citizenship, AKA anchor babies. If both parents are not citizens the kids are not citizens and need to leave with the parents. Make it a crime for not citizens to have a child here and stay.

So we need to build the wall, have a death penalty for businesses that hire illegals. Meaning the business is shut down and all assets seized for any company employing illegals. Make e-verify the law for all businesses and deport those here illegally.

Easy to solve all this when you step back without too much hate or too much sympathy. Be tough but reasonable.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:31 AM

4,232 posts, read 3,148,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
DACA recipients care about others. Not a concept familiar to the alt-right alt-white trumpers.
I would suggest you look at some of the signs being carried in the recent protests. There are no messages about caring for others! While I do have "some" sympathy, the fact is they came here illegally and I (and others) get to pay! Shouldn't we be taking care of our own first?

Old 01-28-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
I would suggest you look at some of the signs being carried in the recent protests. There are no messages about caring for others! While I do have "some" sympathy, the fact is they came here illegally and I (and others) get to pay! Shouldn't we be taking care of our own first?
The average age of entry for Dreamers is six years of age.

Compassion is in order.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:37 AM

17,317 posts, read 11,176,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Except Dreamers were brought here as children which means it was NOT their decision.
Just for the record, there are "dreamers" who came here as teenagers on their own. Not all of them were brought here by force by their parents. Some of these "teenagers" had no identification so no one really knows how old they are or their true identities. So for some Dreamers, yes it was their decision to come here illegally and no one else's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies