Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 03:28 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Cool, but not within our company.
Geographic Information Systems/Maps/Cartography is what I know best. The last job I had, I did projects related to sewer systems.

My point is this. Until I'm working again, taxes are the least of my worries. I keep hearing "everything is great". For someone like me, it rings hollow. It doesn't mean anything to me if I'm without a job. If I take a job far below my skill level and far below the pay I had before, it's a loss for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 03:54 PM

46,278 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Geographic Information Systems/Maps/Cartography is what I know best. The last job I had, I did projects related to sewer systems.

My point is this. Until I'm working again, taxes are the least of my worries. I keep hearing "everything is great". For someone like me, it rings hollow. It doesn't mean anything to me if I'm without a job. If I take a job far below my skill level and far below the pay I had before, it's a loss for me.
I understand what GIS means, that's why I asked you what you did, and then when you stated GIS, I replied "Cool, but not within our company." I'm not sure why you are complaining to me?

I stated that if you provide what you do and it fit's within our company, I'll send you the company I work for.

Well, I'll tell you the EXACT same thing I have been telling my son since he turned 16 last year: Son, if you don't like the current job, you are still working and you still have the ability look for other jobs WHILE MAKING MONEY.....

I'm amazed that people over the age of 18, cannot comprehend this.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:00 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
Quote:

It's not a loss if it puts food on the table and keeps the lights on. I've changed career paths so many times that it's hard to count, either by choice or by circumstance. Don't get into the mindset of "this is what I know, and so I must do this." That only leads to bad things. Humans are a diverse creature. We are perfectly capable of learning more than one skill, as I have shown myself over and over again. Broaden your search and find other skills that you picked up while in the GIS field that can translate into gainful employment. No job is dependent upon only one skill. Do you know how to write reports? That's a skill. Do you understand logistics? Another skill. Dig into your knowledge base and figure out what you're good at besides GIS and go from there. Tailor your resume to the job you are applying for, not to the job you had.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:15 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
It's a temporary tax cut, so you're gonna get a tax increase anyways, in a few years. There is no "free money". Only the corporate tax cuts are permanent.

And unless you're in a poor moocher state like Alabama, your property and local/state taxes are going up.
Not going to happen. The Republicans will make it permanent in 2020 if they are still the majority party. This allows for those running this year to benefit and then those running in 2020 to benefit. I know that's what I'd do if I were them. Had they made it permanent in 2018 only those running this year would benefit. And of course if the Democrats take it away, they'll lose.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:24 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,284,929 times

Old 02-05-2018, 01:29 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,147,988 times
I feel scammed, trump administration didn't renew Mortgage insurance (MIP, PMI) deduction for 2017. Just lost over 8k in deductions while filing my taxes this year as well as not being able to deduct tuition expenses.

Ill know by next week if Trump tax plan will have a dramatic effect on my paycheck. Right now i feel like, they are taking from certain people to give to others (for example getting rid of the deductions millions of people take every year)

Old 02-05-2018, 01:32 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,234,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
$115 x 26 checks= $2,990 extra per year.

Ill take it!
Well I hope you spend or invest it wisely. No net increase in our income because we will paying an extra $3,600 in taxes because we will lose our property tax and mortgage interest deduction. I'm okay with losing it and think it balances the advantages of homeownership to renters disparity, and I hope real estate prices and rent decline to more affordable levels, but I hate that large corporations and the wealthy class will be saving billions off the backs of people like me.

A tax cut is nice, but not at the expense of greater disparity and a $1.4T deficit. I hate to think of the economy as a zero-sum game, but you have to when you focus on the winners and losers of the tax law by classes.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:15 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:

Have you been looking out of state?

Old 02-05-2018, 03:08 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,138,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
I feel scammed, trump administration didn't renew Mortgage insurance (MIP, PMI) deduction for 2017. Just lost over 8k in deductions while filing my taxes this year as well as not being able to deduct tuition expenses.

Ill know by next week if Trump tax plan will have a dramatic effect on my paycheck. Right now i feel like, they are taking from certain people to give to others (for example getting rid of the deductions millions of people take every year)
Historically neither PMI nor student loan interest was tax deductible.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:48 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Not going to happen. The Republicans will make it permanent in 2020 if they are still the majority party. This allows for those running this year to benefit and then those running in 2020 to benefit. I know that's what I'd do if I were them. Had they made it permanent in 2018 only those running this year would benefit. And of course if the Democrats take it away, they'll lose.
That remains to be seen, all indicators are that we will be setting historic debt, interest on debt will consume a rather large portion of GDP. Tax cuts should be reserved for spurring a poor economy, this was not the case in 2016. If we go into a recession the option of tax cuts is pretty much off the table as is stimulus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies