Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 12:59 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
am not saying that, my point is, the 2nd Lt position is still higher in the hierarchy and yet the education qualification of the sgt major is higher?

Maybe on paper the 2nd LT is in the hierarchy, but that's it....

Not sure how you would or could even qualify that statement, 2nd LT is given his rank ,just as 1st LT and CPT....they meet the time period, they get promoted.

A CSM with 20+ years, you've had to earn your way to that position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 01:02 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I guess you never considered this.... wearing that "hat" is also a good way to meet other vets.....who you would never guess without the "hat"
yeah, a good conversation starter.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:05 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
Quote:
a sgt major required to have a masters degree with 20 years in service is saluting a freshly minted 2nd lieutenant with just bachelors degree?

something is wrong in the requirements for these positions

its called respect. The salute is respect for the rank of officer. The salute is also RETURNED.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:05 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,797,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am not an expert, but I've been told that most 2ndLt’s will be in charge of a small unit, such as a platoon or section. Thus, he’ll be responsible for writing performance evaluations for those subordinate to him - in addition to training them, ensuring their welfare, good order & discipline, etc.

There's two kinds of authority in the military.. Rank and position. In regards to rank, an LT out ranks a SGM. However in regards to position, a SGM is likely at least 2 or 3 echelons above the LT, and can easily make that LTs life a ****-wading simulator.

MOST NCO with many years of experiences will be more valuable (for lack of a better word) than a new officer. Butter bars need to earn the respect. Respect is not automatically given to them.
There is someone "in charge" of my husband. He and my husband are the same rank. His position is what makes him "in charge" of my husband. That is it.
But yes, an NCO with years of experience is respected more than someone who just comes out of the academy or someone who does not have experience.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:08 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
REMF is universal.

In the Navy, it is sea vs shore duty. Sea duty is where position matters more than rank, and shore duty is where they take all that rank pageantry seriously, since they really don't have much else to do. Life on the pond doesn't have time for all that crap. Maybe on whichever carrier is assigned dog and pony show duty for the year, but not for most folks out on the pond.
I love the Marine Corps and my loyalty belongs to the Marine Corps. But one of my best friends is a Navy greenside Corpsman and my other best friend is an Army ranger. They taught me all military branches are awesome! I learned a lot from them.

Very impressive. Marines are not the only "the few the proud".

Old 01-29-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
am not saying that, my point is, the 2nd Lt position is still higher in the hierarchy and yet the education qualification of the sgt major is higher?

In civilian terms. Head floor nurse with 30 years experience working with doctor just out of residency. You are a patient. The doctor makes a mistake in prescribing a medication for you which would interact with another resulting in your death. The head nurse points out this mistake. the doctor sees his mistake and you live. The doctor is technically in charge.........but do you want the head floor nurse around???

Old 01-29-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
been a while since I heard/saw the phrase REMF

to me REMF is a relative term...........depends on where and when you were there.........

Old 01-29-2018, 01:14 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
An opinion shared by many such as myself who served in the militaries of the world but never saw action or even posting to combat zones.

I'd go one step further with both my brother and I personally disavowing the privilege of the "veteran's" tags for our car because our father was a 'real deal' veteran with four years overseas fighting in three theaters of action during WWII and we'd be embarrassed to have had ourselves referred to as "veterans" in front of him.

I've noticed that old pharts and some younger ones walking around wearing ball caps and "tee" shirts proclaiming their service in some branch or another are somewhat unique to the U.S. The rest of the world generally reserves such display to Armistice day, Remembrance Day or Veteran's Day celebrations.
In my ten years, I was awarded two combat medals with device, all manner of unit awards (good submarine), and expeditionary medals (the catch-all medal for spec-ops) for the Arctic, Atlantic and Mediterranean theaters...and I share the same distaste for trumpeting my own service as you and your brother. Even in this thread, it more for context than a "rah rah, yay me" thing.

My grandfather won the Bronze Star in the Battle of Hurtgen Forest, and he could have won a Purple Heart, but in a letter to my great aunt, he wrote that he didn't think his injury was serious enough to give him time off and put some "unfortunate fellow" into the harm's way that might be meant for him, and he certainly didn't need a medal proclaiming he had been careless enough to get in the path of a projectile. That's a freaking combat veteran, not some dude who was inside a submarine.

I say thanks when I get thanked for my service, and I always shake hands with elderly vets from WW II, Korea and Vietnam, and I visit my grandfather's ashes at Arlington every Memorial Day...but I keep what I did in perspective, and boasting just seems silly given the massive number of vets who did and gave so much more. I was just a tiny cog in a very big machine, and for all my standard sailor complaining at the time, I didn't have it that bad.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Also, some of these social justice warriors should stop paying so much attention on the military families and the military service members.

The reason many wear the cap and T shirts is because buying those items at px is cheap. Like my friends always wear the USMC shirts because, well, the shirts just look great on them, and the shirts are affordable. No one wears the shirts to **** off the SJW

Give me a break!

My Christmas gift "Real girl dates a Veteran" shirt only costs $3 and I think it is sexy and super cute. I also have 100+ Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima posters. My veteran friends love to give me those posters because they know I love the Marines hehe lol The poster is cheap, but it is always a great gift for me.

plus.. i'm a lot prouder of my Vietnam veteran shirt than that "I ran the 10K" shirt................

Old 01-29-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:

Go rent the movie.........."an officer and a gentleman" then come back here......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies