Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 05:38 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,080,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

What is "offensive" is subjective, not objective.

It's always amazing how many people parrot "that's offensive" without being able to objectively explain why it's offensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 05:39 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
" It's better to let someone think you are an Idiot than to open your mouth and prove it. "
So you are an advocate of censorship? Very tolerant of other's opinions, I see.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:33 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,218,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
What is being censored?

Old 01-29-2018, 06:34 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,904,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
So, in other words....you got nothing and you're just barking at the sound of the metronome along with the other dogs.

Racist....woof....offensive... woof, woof.
I laid out my case clearly. It is really not difficult to understand, Bob.

If a business wants to change their logo to be more inclusive to others, than good on them.

Why does that bother you what they do with their logo? And who are you to claim what is offensive to Native Americans? Are you Native American?

Old 01-29-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Yes.....but there are limits to consequences.

When your delicate sensibilities bump up against someone else's rights...

Your bruised emotions will lose every time.

Because there is no such thing as a right to never be offended.
The only limit is government punishment.

By all means - say all of the offensive things you want to say (This is America, after all!!!!).

Just don't be surprised when you get plenty of free speech thrown back in your face. Because, again, this is America!!

Don't want to deal with the consequences? Maybe consider keeping it inside. Just some friendly advice.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
LOL at calling this "censorship".

This is a conscious decision they are making for their business. No one has forced them to change their logo.

You are free to be as offensive as you want. No one is stopping you from doing so.

The Cleveland Indians organization, however, have made a choice to be more inclusive in their logo design. And I, for one, applaud them for it. As a general principle, I find living by the golden rule (do unto others as you would want done to you) to be a good aspiration. And even if they did so for monetary reasons (they are a business, after all), I appreciate the move, nonetheless.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:53 PM

30,994 posts, read 22,039,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I laid out my case clearly. It is really not difficult to understand, Bob.

If a business wants to change their logo to be more inclusive to others, than good on them.

Why does that bother you what they do with their logo? And who are you to claim what is offensive to Native Americans? Are you Native American?
Are you? You seem to speak for them?

Old 01-29-2018, 10:03 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,324,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
What is being censored?
You seek to control the thought processes of the young and impressionable by directing scorn against anyone who doesn't see things exactly as you and your friends within the (supposedly-) enlightened Circe of the Politically Correct do; and any bad example you can find, such as the handful of true "white nationalists' are depicted as typical of all conservatives - traditionalist, libertarian, or anything in between (and they say "progressives" don't resort to stereotypes. )

Nearly niney years ago, at the onset of the Great Depression, the Democrats played the same game with white-ethnic voters, depicting all Republicans as rich, white, Protestant idlers who hid out at country clubs; the strategy only worked until more of the Democrats' new recruits recognized that they too, had something to lose rather than something to loot, and the cycle is in the process of repeating itself.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:08 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,586,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
The only limit is government punishment.

By all means - say all of the offensive things you want to say (This is America, after all!!!!).

Just don't be surprised when you get plenty of free speech thrown back in your face. Because, again, this is America!!

Don't want to deal with the consequences? Maybe consider keeping it inside. Just some friendly advice.
BTW, the government actually DID try and go after the Redskins for their name. Perhaps the Indians didn't want to suffer the same fate of all the hassle.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:16 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,511,169 times
Somebody made a business decision. Don't like it? Don't buy tickets to Cleveland games or buy their gear. You might want to stock up on Redskins merchandise while you're at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies