Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2018, 10:20 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times

Advertisements

https://twitter.com/hashtag/Droolgate?src=hash

#droolgate is real
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 10:21 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Did Joe say something about making college affordable? Not free, which is stupid and impossible.

But affordable would be good--and if it's for Americans, at least that's one thing FOR Americans instead of for illegals. I would vote for him if it ever came to that because his family stood for single payer healthcare and that would be for everyone. Not illegals, I hope, but for all Americans and legal residents who pay into the system.

So affordable college and single payer healthcare, I would be onboard.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:26 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,052,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Democrats are always about pedigree and star power. They haven't reinvented themselves to more align with the avg American tax payer. They delivered the biggest tax increase during Obama's years and I swear and many others will never vote Democrat again because they have damaged my faith in the Democrats of the 90s. They only care about what the elites want, they would put illegals first over any American tax payer.
Trump's tax cuts has added to our deficit. Now he wants us to pay billions for a wall which we don't need. Our county desperately needs in-frustration repair. Our roads and bridges are failing. So which is more important.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:27 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Did Joe say something about making college affordable? Not free, which is stupid and impossible.

But affordable would be good--and if it's for Americans, at least that's one thing FOR Americans instead of for illegals. I would vote for him if it ever came to that because his family stood for single payer healthcare and that would be for everyone. Not illegals, I hope, but for all Americans and legal residents who pay into the system.

So affordable college and single payer healthcare, I would be onboard.
College affordability is a small piece of a big federal budget though. Free or not, it's a very small amount required to either make it very cheap and/or free. So that isn't the issue.

The biggest lever he talked about changing was the way taxes work and where our spending priorities lie. The part where he said the economy has seen stocks soar to record highs, corporate profits at record numbers, yet corporations fail to give a proportional slice of the profits to every worker in their company. (My company I work for is a top Fortune 100 company and has actually announced that it'll weakened the 401(k) benefits to benefit shareholders this past week). Also the part where we have to make a bunch of false choices, like cutting the social safety net in return for defense funding, etc..

That's the biggest problem imo.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:29 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,511,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
And who were those 13 or so super stars the GOP had on their ticket this past election ? Jeb Bush, Ted, and a lot of people who couldn't even beat an outsider with zero experience and questionable character.

And Hillary STILL lost .

Old 01-30-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Trump's tax cuts has added to our deficit. Now he wants us to pay billions for a wall which we don't need. Our county desperately needs in-frustration repair. Our roads and bridges are failing. So which is more important.
I've learned over the years that Republicans aren't that great at math.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:43 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
College affordability is a small piece of a big federal budget though. Free or not, it's a very small amount required to either make it very cheap and/or free. So that isn't the issue.

The biggest lever he talked about changing was the way taxes work and where our spending priorities lie. The part where he said the economy has seen stocks soar to record highs, corporate profits at record numbers, yet corporations fail to give a proportional slice of the profits to every worker in their company. (My company I work for is a top Fortune 100 company and has actually announced that it'll weakened the 401(k) benefits to benefit shareholders this past week). Also the part where we have to make a bunch of false choices, like cutting the social safety net in return for defense funding, etc..

Yeh, the rich getting richer and the division between rich and poor getting so vast. We need some way to bring the lower income people up. Why are the super rich being allowed to get so super rich? That only breeds resentment and revolution.

The stock market only benefits those who have the money to gamble in it. The average person needs some means to get more of the pie.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:45 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,052,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post

Social security is taken out of our paychecks for our future. You and no one else has entitlement to it.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yeh, the rich getting richer and the division between rich and poor getting so vast. We need some way to bring the lower income people up. Why are the super rich being allowed to get so super rich? That only breeds resentment and revolution.

The stock market only benefits those who have the money to gamble in it. The average person needs some means to get more of the pie.
100% there with you. The other part of the puzzle is to get people financially literate about how to handle their money.

I don't know how people think it's even fair that most of the stocks and assets are owned by the wealthiest.
I think if people realize that, if you borrow money to buy something, you don't own it, you're borrowing it and renting it (renting money essentially in the form of interest payments to the bank). The power comes from owning that asset outright by either paying for it in full or paying the loan off since all our property laws derives from the concept of ownership. It's a powerful concept to realize and unfortunately most don't place that much importance on it as it should be.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Social security is taken out of our paychecks for our future. You and no one else has entitlement to it.
Except those who earn over that income limit! They aren't entitled to it at all. (Whatever that limit is).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies