Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 06:56 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Tennessee has an extremely high rate of hospital closures.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/opi...see/425504001/
Yeah this is an article with a lot of ifs and proposed, will be, estimates and opinions but in real world only 8 hospitals have closed since 2013 and I listed those and the reasons. Eight is not extremely high and with the sparse populations in many of the rural counties it doesnt make sense to have 3 small hospitals when you can consolidate resources and provided better services with one larger more efficient hospital.
The truth still remains that at least in my state rural areas havent been negatively affected by those hospital closings, people are still receiving the same medical care, if not better, and Trump supporters are not suffering. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 02:33 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
you make no sense, read more, post less
Farming is rural. Dude....seriously.....reading comprehension....work on it.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:48 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Used to be 2-3 car dealers in every small town also. They could not support the volume required and now most are gone.

The small town hospital is going the way of the small town car dealer. For good service, people are willing to drive.
No, you got it wrong. They reason why you don't see any new car dealers in the down towns of small towns is because years ago they fled from there to the edge of town where the land was cheaper and more of it available to display more cars.

There are two hospitals in my rural county. One of them has been expanding by building a new cancer center. I doubt either hospital worries it might close.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:05 AM

13,307 posts, read 7,864,463 times
I can't find one doctor in this town who will give me a vision exam while wearing my eyeglasses.

I can only get one, by driving to another town when renewing my driver's license, but it takes 10 years between the exams. They don't give you much of a read-out, either.

All the eye doctors in this town only examine your eyes, without your glasses on.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/3265496...2-6dc10c1f3a7f

Old 08-21-2018, 11:20 AM

39,860 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
At $50K a ride and nearly NEVER in network.

I live in one of those rural areas with long delays for ambulance service, and recreate in areas far more remote. An annual subscription to our air ambulance service is $60 and covers everyone in the household. Been on autopay for a decade. Common sense to make provisions for such a thing.

Like most things-it's a matter of choice. If you can tolerate living in a densely packed concrete jungle, good for you-you'll have hospitals, fire and police within a few minutes. If you choose to live in a rural area among nature, wildlife, great views and serenity-there are compromises to make. Neither choice is for everyone.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:21 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Rural and small town hospitals and clinics are closing at a furious pace in the US. Without federal funding, these centers are not financially viable. Many will have to travel many miles for their healthcare needs. This trend is continuing. Who wants to drive over a hundred miles for their yearly check-up? Forget getting emergency treatment in a timely basis if you are having a heart attack!

https://www.cnn.com/2017/06/30/healt...are/index.html

State-by-state breakdown of 80 rural hospital closures
For AZ I have more intimate knowledge on 2 of the 3 closures.

Florence Community Healthcare was a failed attempt to revive a small poorly run facility. The idea was to capture federal moneys by caring for the local prisoners. And that never panned out.

Hualapai Mountain Medical Center (Kingman) was formed by a group of local docs to compete with the one local hospital. They were doing really well, more able to pick and choose patients, and then the cash cow was bought out by the main local hospital. I don't think that overall local HC and access was compromised to any major extent. But the community lost out on the benefits of local competition.

https://www.ahd.com/free_profile.php...3785c64f7647ae

We had a similar happening in our town about 15 years ago. Local hospitals in small communities can do very with their monopoly if properly run. We lost out on that competition also.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
The problem is hospital ERs are forced to treat uninsured patients. That means increased costs for everyone else. And often, that's still not enough and the hospitals are forced into bankruptcy. One can search on any given year and find out how many and which hospitals filed for bankruptcy. It's a surprisingly large number every single year. Trump and the GOP just made it worse because they take away the insurance mandate, people cancel their insurance and expect the hospitals to treat them anyway.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...17-091517.html
This why AZ hospitals put in $250M to help push the Obamacare related Medicaid expansion. Fewer no payers.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I work in a hospital and we suffered a loss after the enacting of Obamacare. Smaller hospitals in the area either went out of business or were subsidized/taken over by larger facilities. This was because the loss of those rural smaller hospitals would overload those still open. Thanks Democrats!
Why the loss due to Obamacare? Is yours a Medicaid expansion state?

Old 08-21-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Apparently the $716 billion Obamacare cut from Medicare actually has an impact.
Not. The money has not been deducted. That money is future projected reduced growth. So it's future political vapor.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Maternity wards are also one of the biggest insurance liabilities for hospitals. That's why many are closed down in smaller communities.
They are not cash cows. And small areas serve small numbers of young growing families. Overheads remain high whether the birth facilities are used or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies