Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2018, 11:11 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,367,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Not true. Explain. Cite your source. Also add in most are elderly and/or severely immunocompromised.

According to recent stats, about 5,000 died of the flu either last season or the season before, I can't remember. The NVSS, a gov't report, tracks deaths annually. It's a great UNBIASED resource. You need to go to the report and then find the link IN the report that will take you to the supplement ... where the data is. Yep, they make you jump through all those hoops to get to it. Shocking, how difficult it can be, to get actual TRUTH.

All the others that fill out that 50,000 figure that the media just loves, loves, loves to screech about died of pneumonia. Not flu.

Or you can spend every waking second being terrified and paranoied.

I'd rather be informed.

World population = 7.6 billion .. check it most anywhere.

According to new estimates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as many as 646,000 people across the globe die each year of the flu.

7,600,000,000/646,000=11,764

So ... I was off a bit. Its 1 in 11.7 thousand instead in 10 thousand.

IMHO ... get a flu shot. Its relatively inexpensive, and it helps. Or not. Its your funeral as they say.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:25 AM

19,635 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I dunno, the text to her sister in their last conversation noting she should have gotten the flu shot combined with a bunch of emojis was a big hint.
I don't know why people are questioning you about your friend.

I know of someone who used to work at a company I did business with who died last month, also young and no risk factors. It is pretty awful, I really was not aware until this year this could happen so abruptly to otherwise healthy people. I always thought it was just children, elderly, and immune compromised that were at risk from a seasonal flu.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:34 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
One of my best friends - a healthy, vibrant woman in her 30s - died alone in her apartment from the flu two weeks ago. We've since learned she didn't get her shot. People in her social circle who developed the flu at the same time all had their shot and were only out of commission for a week.

Get your damn flu shot. It may not prevent the flu this season, but it will lessen the severity and may prevent another person like me from finding their dear friend dead in her apartment.

Really sorry to hear about your friend...so young, it's sad.

A few years back, I spent a month on a ventilator in an ICU because of the flu.

I almost died myself.

I get the shot now.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:36 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
World population = 7.6 billion .. check it most anywhere.

According to new estimates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as many as 646,000 people across the globe die each year of the flu.

7,600,000,000/646,000=11,764

So ... I was off a bit. Its 1 in 11.7 thousand instead in 10 thousand.

IMHO ... get a flu shot. Its relatively inexpensive, and it helps. Or not. Its your funeral as they say.
Not talking about the world population.

Just US population.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:37 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Also,

New study shows that those who receive flu vaccines are more likely to spread the flu than those who are unvaccinated. Authors conclude that with additional confirmation, this could impact vaccination policies.

Infectious virus in exhaled breath of symptomatic seasonal influenza cases from a college community
Jing Yan, Michael Grantham, Jovan Pantelic, P. Jacob Bueno de Mesquita, Barbara Albert, Fengjie Liu, Sheryl Ehrman, Donald K. Milton and EMIT Consortium
PNAS 2018; published ahead of print January 18, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1716561115

Infectious virus in exhaled breath of symptomatic seasonal influenza cases from a college community | Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences

Excerpts:

Self-reported vaccination for the current season was associated with a trend (P < 0.10) toward higher viral shedding in fine-aerosol samples; vaccination with both the current and previous year’s seasonal vaccines, however, was significantly associated with greater fine-aerosol shedding in unadjusted and adjusted models (P < 0.01).

In adjusted models, we observed 6.3 (95% CI 1.9–21.5) times more aerosol shedding among cases with vaccination in the current and previous season compared with having no vaccination in those two seasons

Vaccination was not associated with coarse-aerosol or NP shedding (P > 0.10). The association of vaccination and shedding was significant for influenza A (P = 0.03) but not for influenza B (P = 0.83) infections (Table S4).

The association of current and prior year vaccination with increased shedding of influenza A might lead one to speculate that certain types of prior immunity promote lung inflammation, airway closure, and aerosol generation. This first observation of the phenomenon needs confirmation. If confirmed, this observation, together with recent literature suggesting reduced protection with annual vaccination, would have implications for influenza vaccination recommendations and policies.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:39 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I'm watching these news reports on the news and after the newsman reports "Two more people died of the flu including one child" they never fail to say, "If you haven't gotten the flu shot get it now! It's not too late." This strikes me as nothing more than yellow journalism designed to attempt to scare people into spending $25 to get the vaccine. But it is now reported that:

https://www.ecowatch.com/should-i-ge...132041142.html

I personally just stay away from crowded conditions and if I have to be in them I wear a good viral mask. But doesn't the pharmaceutical companies making these vaccines also make billions of dollars off a vaccine that may harm more than it helps, if it helps at all and aren't the news medias just using sensational reporting tactics to help them and to boost their own ratings?
maybe take the tinfoil off.

you really walk around in the US with a mask?

Old 01-31-2018, 11:44 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
I don't know about 'shock value', all I know is this: the flu is rampaging in Texas:

Texas Flu Deaths Reach 2,300, Expected To Rise | Texas Public Radio

2,300 people dead in Texas, and we are halfway through the 'flu season'.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:54 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I don't know about 'shock value', all I know is this: the flu is rampaging in Texas:

Texas Flu Deaths Reach 2,300, Expected To Rise | Texas Public Radio

2,300 people dead in Texas, and we are halfway through the 'flu season'.

I currently know 3 people hospitalized with the flu currently, my friends healthy student died two weeks ago from the flu AND this morning I was just informed my high school gym teacher passed away this morning from the flu. Never have I personally known so many this many people die and/or be hospitalized with the flu. To me, this seems a little severe and crazy.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:10 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Our original alternative rock radio station's DJ died Saturday, he was 54. Dallas now has 52 deaths.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:33 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm with you on this. To each his own.

I do think it's important to get such shots for children, the elderly, those with breathing conditions or a suppressed immune system.

I just have a distrust of Big Pharma, but anything that works for an individual, they should do.

Mostly, I was just yanking your badge, Officer.
in total agreement with you.

it's up to the individual....I have a compromised immune system...when I go down, I go down hard, so I take the flu shot and presently am very worried, so much so, I've become a germaphob. A fella came into work just yesterday, with the flu...he was so sick, and we have the option to work from home? He went to the water fountain, you could tell he had a fever. He was so sick, that I'm really worried about him....so this morning I went over and bleached the entire area....I know, I know, funny, right?

During flu seasons, companies ought to make it mandatory for the cleaners to come in at night and go over everything, with bleach...not dry mop, but bleach and they should have to wipe down hand rails, and everything. This country, isn't as clean as it used to be...they never wipe down the stalls in our bathroom. They only wipe down the floor twice a week...and you never see them wiping down the handrails.

I see women, mind you, women with college degrees leave the bathroom without washing their hands, or simply rinsing them off.... Makes me very angry....and they are the reason, flu spreads. They come to work sick, use the bathroom, never wash their hands, and use all the common areas.

If there is truly an epidemic, we're screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies