Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2018, 09:48 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,799,876 times

Advertisements

The OP posed the question:

Is the current "shock value" flu reports on news channels designed only to get people to get the flu shot?

No. The purpose of shock headlines is to draw attention to increase readership and sell commercials.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:40 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
The OP posed the question:

Is the current "shock value" flu reports on news channels designed only to get people to get the flu shot?

No. The purpose of shock headlines is to draw attention to increase readership and sell commercials.

and to get people to get flu shots. The media does not mind doing good as it makes money.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:43 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,172 times
I think it is a fair introduction to reality
goodnight

Old 02-02-2018, 06:28 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Canada does indeed vaccinate against rabies. In some provinces it is required depending on local risk.

https://www.canadianveterinarians.ne...-animal-owners

Someone bitten by a dog that is up to date on rabies vaccination does not need to be treated for rabies exposure. It is very expensive and I find it hard to believe a doctor would order it.
well maybe it was the area she lived in, but if I had bought a puppy, I would have had to pay to have it vaccinated and bought into the states. She never had rabies shots given to her dogs...ever, but she is also an antivaccer?

Old 02-02-2018, 06:34 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well maybe it was the area she lived in, but if I had bought a puppy, I would have had to pay to have it vaccinated and bought into the states. She never had rabies shots given to her dogs...ever, but she is also an antivaccer?
I don't know why she chose not to vaccinate. However, if she told you that dogs will become immune to rabies just by walking in the woods she appears to be very ignorant about rabies.

The only way for a dog to become immune to rabies is by vaccination. Having the disease does not produce immunity because it is 100% fatal.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:37 AM

suzy Q

This doesn't make sense....and correct me if I'm wrong, and I know you will....lol

the first paragraph of your link

Quote:
Vaccines contain viruses, bacteria or other disease-causing organisms that have been killed or altered so they can no longer cause disease. Newer vaccines may contain genetically engineered components derived from those disease agents. When given to an animal, vaccines will stimulate the body's immune system to form disease fighting cells (cell mediated immunity) and circulating proteins (known as antibodies) to protect against the disease.
there is no vaccine on this earth (as of yet) that will protect any human or animal if they are bit by a rabid animal.

So, how does this shot protect against the disease?

We lived on a lake in the woods, and in daylight a raccoon strolled by our home...my husband leashed our coonhound, and left him tack the raccoon. My husband was pretty sure the raccoon had rabies.

So we called animal control, and they came and got the raccoon, and wanted to know if my husband or our dog got anywhere near the raccoon? He said if we had, and the raccoon tested for rabies, we would have to quarantine the dog, and my husband would have had to get rabies shots? So what good does the rabies vaccine do?

The animal control guy wanted us to bleach the shovel my husband picked up the coon with, and was so worried. He said rabies is so much more worse then most people know?

I'm sorry but I just do not buy all this garbage about vaccines...and I'll be the first one to admit it, I get the flu shot every year, but???? Not sure how I feel about it....

Old 02-02-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
suzy_q2010

The only way for a dog to become immune to rabies is by vaccination. Having the disease does not produce immunity because it is 100% fatal.
That is exactly what she explained to me Suzy, she said, if you take your dogs for walks in the woods, there are agents on the plants, grasses, etc...that builds up an immunity on the dogs...

She didn't say they had to have the disease, and I apologize for not making that clear.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:08 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
fyi

Septic shock is a result of a systemic response to infection or multiple infectious causes. Sepsis may be present, but septic shock may occur without it.[5] The precipitating infections that may lead to septic shock if severe enough include but are not limited to appendicitis, pneumonia, bacteremia, diverticulitis, pyelonephritis, meningitis, pancreatitis, necrotizing fasciitis, MRSA and mesenteric ischemia.[6][7]

Sepsis is a constellation of symptoms secondary to an infection that manifests as disruptions in heart rate, respiratory rate, temperature, and white blood cell count. If sepsis worsens to the point of end-organ dysfunction (kidney failure, liver dysfunction, altered mental status, or heart damage), then the condition is called severe sepsis. Once severe sepsis worsens to the point where blood pressure can no longer be maintained with intravenous fluids alone, then the criterion has been met for septic shock

Old 02-02-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
suzy Q

This doesn't make sense....and correct me if I'm wrong, and I know you will....lol

the first paragraph of your link

there is no vaccine on this earth (as of yet) that will protect any human or animal if they are bit by a rabid animal.

So, how does this shot protect against the disease?

We lived on a lake in the woods, and in daylight a raccoon strolled by our home...my husband leashed our coonhound, and left him tack the raccoon. My husband was pretty sure the raccoon had rabies.

So we called animal control, and they came and got the raccoon, and wanted to know if my husband or our dog got anywhere near the raccoon? He said if we had, and the raccoon tested for rabies, we would have to quarantine the dog, and my husband would have had to get rabies shots? So what good does the rabies vaccine do?

The animal control guy wanted us to bleach the shovel my husband picked up the coon with, and was so worried. He said rabies is so much more worse then most people know?

I'm sorry but I just do not buy all this garbage about vaccines...and I'll be the first one to admit it, I get the flu shot every year, but???? Not sure how I feel about it....
Yes, there is a treatment for humans who are bitten by rabid animals. It is called post exposure prophylaxis and consists of two parts. One is an antibody to the rabies virus which will neutralize the virus. The other is an actual rabies vaccine made from the virus that causes the recipient to make his own antibodies.

https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/medical_care/index.html

Quote:
That is exactly what she explained to me Suzy, she said, if you take your dogs for walks in the woods, there are agents on the plants, grasses, etc...that builds up an immunity on the dogs...

She didn't say they had to have the disease, and I apologize for not making that clear.
She is wrong. There are no "agents on the plants, grasses, etc...that builds up an immunity on the dogs". If there were, we would just identify those "agents" and give them to our pets.

The cynic in me just thinks she does not want the expense of vaccinating multiple dogs.

My apology to the mods for the thread drift, but I think it is important to make it clear that walking through grass cannot protect a dog against rabies. Anyone who has further questions feel free to DM me.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
fyi

Septic shock is a result of a systemic response to infection or multiple infectious causes. Sepsis may be present, but septic shock may occur without it.[5] The precipitating infections that may lead to septic shock if severe enough include but are not limited to appendicitis, pneumonia, bacteremia, diverticulitis, pyelonephritis, meningitis, pancreatitis, necrotizing fasciitis, MRSA and mesenteric ischemia.[6][7]

Sepsis is a constellation of symptoms secondary to an infection that manifests as disruptions in heart rate, respiratory rate, temperature, and white blood cell count. If sepsis worsens to the point of end-organ dysfunction (kidney failure, liver dysfunction, altered mental status, or heart damage), then the condition is called severe sepsis. Once severe sepsis worsens to the point where blood pressure can no longer be maintained with intravenous fluids alone, then the criterion has been met for septic shock
Sepsis can also be caused by viral infections, including influenza, without a superimposed bacterial infection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies