Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 01:15 PM

57,232 posts, read 26,172,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
a lot of hospitals are struggling , and most doctors, especially GP's or pediatricians, make very little profit

most of the insurance companies, which also offer life insurance make more profit from life insurance than the health field

but if they are going to "not make a profit" than, they will be burning through their capital, and it might not be pretty.... sure it may work...but it also may not

I am not disrespecting their idea...think its a good idea... just I know business, and profit is a NEEDED thing to stay afloat
Most of those hospitals closing are in rural areas where they don't have the economic base for support, they cannot keep up with the escalating costs of healthcare without subsidies. There are many reasons for increased health care costs but for profit companies and their associated costs is one of them. I don't believe any other civilized country administers health care as we do and it shows, it is eating an increased portion of our GDP and hurting businesses.

They really haven't put forward any specifics with their proposal and it's just those three companies but they have really have the talent to be successful in their business, I expect the same on this venture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 04:59 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
Good, it needs disrupting. In it's present form, it's an absolute disgrace, unless, or course, you are one of those profiting from the current system.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:13 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
I keep seeing this meme over and over again about profit. How can any business run without making a profit? Are these HC owners just supposed to pay out of pocket for their equipment/technology, electricity, building space, etc? I agree HC costs are out of control but nothing can be run for no profit at all, that's called bankruptcy. It's unsustainable.
Yes, obviously, income has to match outgo, and outgo includes foreseen capital costs. Just about any not-for-profit does that. This may surprise you, but business accounting works for not-for-profits as well as it works for any business.

What not-for-profits don't do is gift their executives with stock options and pay dividends to thousands of share-holders. That's what most insurance companies do.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:26 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Good, it needs disrupting.
I seriously doubt Amazon will have any impact.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:11 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times
This the fundamentally American way to solve problems. Not government coercion, mandates. Or, even central planning. Hope they or someone else is successful. The government does bring manna from heaven, in the commonly understood way for the citizenry. Quite the opposite.

Look it up. “manna from heaven”. Classic misunderstanding of real affect.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:18 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Get ready for the Democrats to plan a boycott of their companies.
I don't see why they would.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:24 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
I bet other corporations will watch this new business model and see how it goes and if it helps the bottom line, they will adapt the same policy. TimeWarner seems like the type of corporation that would do well considering all their subsidiaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies