Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 08:17 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Apparently you never saw a McEnroe match.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-spirit-tennis
Yeah, but few players get away with that stuff any more.

"Nick Kyrgios faces a 28 day suspension and a fine of $25,000 following his scathing remarks against Stan Wawrinka."

https://www.sportskeeda.com/tennis/n...-wawrinka-jibe

Comments that were made, as in the case of this kid, during the match.
Not appropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 08:21 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
While I don't condone it, a comment like "at least......" is clearly a reaction to something that was said to him, What's the full story?
That bothers me too.

If you're a football fan you know the old adage of the guy retaliating is the one that always gets caught.

Example: post play a guy will get in an extra shove or slap on his opponent, the refs don't see it, the guy who got hit responds with a hit/slap back, this time the ref does see it and that guy gets flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct.

With the way the comment is structured, it's likely (very likely), that Wilson said something first. If anything was even said...because we don't know.

Of course that doesn't negate Brown's bad behavior if it occurred. It just gives the whole situation more context.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
If you dislike someone personally and are talking trash to them during a sports event I see nothing wrong with saying ”at least I know my dad”.
If the opponent cries over that, well he/she is pathetic.
If I was a coach and that kind of comment bothered my player, I'd not want to coach him/her.
Kids today.

It is a pretty pathetic that Wilson took it to Twitter and said "black Twitter, do ya thing" as a response.

If he wanted to do the proper/formal route going to his coach for guidance would have been the only appropriate response.

Informally, this is an otherwise intelligent 21-year-old black kid. You can't tell me he doesn't know a few white boy stereotype jokes to come back with.

But the black Twitter plea is nothing more than a female dog move.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:38 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I guess saying anything remotely negative or critical, no matter how true or deserving, to a member of an extra special identity group is racist..if you're white anyway.
The charge of racism is like ketchup, you can put it on anything.

It's gotten to the point where I really don't care anymore and in fact I go out of my way just to trigger someone because it's fun.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:40 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
I love how people suddenly don't understand how a reference to knowing your father, when made to a black person, is racist, but then they'll post in threads about how black fathers are absent. Selective confusion.

As for what the other guy may have said to prompt this - it doesn't matter with regard to this school. This school found out what their student said, and they obviously have standards about representing the school, so they suspended him.

My kids played multiple sports throughout grade school and high school and to a good coach - it doesn't matter what the other guy said or did. It's not going to justify what you do.

"Well, he started it" is for children.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I love how people suddenly don't understand how a reference to knowing your father, when made to a black person, is racist, but then they'll post in threads about how black fathers are absent. Selective confusion.

As for what the other guy may have said to prompt this - it doesn't matter with regard to this school. This school found out what their student said, and they obviously have standards about representing the school, so they suspended him.

My kids played multiple sports throughout grade school and high school and to a good coach - it doesn't matter what the other guy said or did. It's not going to justify what you do.

"Well, he started it" is for children.
Oh I agree that the absentee father remark is clearly racist in nature.

What I don't know is if it was really said or not. And in this day and age we'll never know because of the political/social atmosphere.

The school says it happened and Brown nor his coach are talking so it ends there.

I still say Wilson should have went to his coach (100% preferred) first. And before going to black Twitter with his appeal a more, but still not very desirable response, would have been to throw a barb back at Brown.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:57 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
The comment was racist, but on the scale of racist comments it's on the level of jaywalking, or maybe running a red light. Why is the student suspended indefinitely? Basically he will never be allowed to play organized tennis again over a mild remark that was probably a response to a taunt to begin with. I don't like how there's no scaled punishments, no chance to learn a lesson in these circumstances. The punishment is always the ultimate one.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:09 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
The comment was racist, but on the scale of racist comments it's on the level of jaywalking, or maybe running a red light. Why is the student suspended indefinitely? Basically he will never be allowed to play organized tennis again over a mild remark that was probably a response to a taunt to begin with. I don't like how there's no scaled punishments, no chance to learn a lesson in these circumstances. The punishment is always the ultimate one.
I agree, on a scale from one to ten, it's on the milder side, but it's still not right.

I think indefinitely means until this dies down. I'm not sure he'll never be allowed to play again. Are they saying that in other articles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Oh I agree that the absentee father remark is clearly racist in nature.

What I don't know is if it was really said or not. And in this day and age we'll never know because of the political/social atmosphere.

The school says it happened and Brown nor his coach are talking so it ends there.

I still say Wilson should have went to his coach (100% preferred) first. And before going to black Twitter with his appeal a more, but still not very desirable response, would have been to throw a barb back at Brown.
I'm thinking that since there wasn't a denial, that the kid owned up to it.

Between the comment about black twitter, saying he still hasn't heard from Brown, that administration has not yet reached out to him, and gloating over Brown's suspension - I think it's pretty clear Wilson is a punk ***** *B*.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:35 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
He went over the line but the line was in the wrong, not him.
Plus 'the line' was drawn after the event.
How could anyone know they'd be suspended for telling a mother/father joke/taunt?
It’s tennis...not football. The etiquette is far different

Old 01-31-2018, 02:12 PM

638 posts, read 624,105 times
You could compare it to Lavar Ball's comments about white basketball players "foot speed." Sure, there is truth behind it but it doesn't need to be said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies