Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2018, 11:30 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I don't know why these workers are upset about their plant closing. I'm sure it's all part of Trump's plan to MAGA!

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/eco...ax-cut-n876901
I doubt the Thais will ride HD's. So, if the market is already saturated, there would not be US buyers of bikes made in Thailand, either, and the whole new factory would be superfluous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 11:31 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
KC shop: closed

Thailand plant: open for bidness

Well, maybe bikers want a Siamese Harley.

Maybe not...

Good job, tRump!

They have to be better than the ones made in India...

Old 05-24-2018, 11:40 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
What are the US sales figures of Japanese motorbike manufacturers like?
Maybe Americans today prefer the modernistic, efficient bikes the Japanese make.
I suppose HD does not participate in international racing, which however is where the Japanese and other manufacturers learn a lot...
To me HD is like a dinosaur, similar to US cars up until the 80's.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:44 AM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Trump gave them the tools to suceed. It isn't his fault they're too stupid to use them...
They're not stupid at all. There's wealth still to be extracted and like all intelligent parasites, they'll attempt to keep the host organism alive as long as it serves their purpose.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:47 AM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
So in otherwords. Blame Trump for Harleys issues.
Trump doesn't control Harley. ...

This isn't an example of why tax cuts are bad.
This is an example of poor business management skills.

Trump gave them the tools to suceed. It isn't his fault they're too stupid to use them...
You're not arguing the point made.
  1. Trump and his economic advisers sold the idea of tax cuts on the basis that the workers would benefit.
  2. Critics of the tax cuts said the money would be used for stock buybacks and not benefit the workers.
  3. The money was largely used for stock buybacks and did not benefit the workers.
  4. HD provides an example of point 3.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:48 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
Rich corporate types make moves to benefit rich corporate types.

Stop the presses! Shocking!

84% of the US stock belongs to the top 10%.
Corporations exist to make money.
Stop being shocked when these things happen.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:48 AM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I don't know why these workers are upset about their plant closing. I'm sure it's all part of Trump's plan to MAGA!

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/eco...ax-cut-n876901
TDS syndrome is intact.

Ridership is down, HD sales are down and they are making too many motorcycles. But for those with TDS, ALL plants must remain open even if the item they are making is no longer selling well.

HOG stock peaked out in 2014. It's been falling ever since.
Reality means nothing to a NeverTrumper.

Motorcycle sales peaked in 2006

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...cycle-industry

Old 05-24-2018, 11:49 AM

989 posts, read 769,172 times
Some of the responses here are humorous. "Trumpers" would believe the world was flat if Trump Said it. Just shows how gullible they are. Again I am a Republican, all be it a moderate one, I have an advanced education, and get his mantra. "If you say things often enough, true or false, fools will believe you". What a group of folks they are.......

Old 05-24-2018, 12:03 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,366,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
TDS syndrome is intact.

Ridership is down, HD sales are down and they are making too many motorcycles. But for those with TDS, ALL plants must remain open even if the item they are making is no longer selling well.

HOG stock peaked out in 2014. It's been falling ever since.
Reality means nothing to a NeverTrumper.

Motorcycle sales peaked in 2006

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...cycle-industry
You’re talking common sense to psychos. It’s a fool’s errand.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:18 PM

20,716 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Yeah, that sneaky Washigton Post, citing Trump ad verbatim - even going so far as to post the video.
I guess you are not equipped to understand complex material presented to you. Bezos probably has more influence than Trump does at this point. We don't see him doing anything about it either. The reason is because that is not how economics tends to work. Anyone who knows about economics would know.

Quote:
The people in your expert estimate "don't know anything about economics" was Trump's own council of economic advisers, led by Kevin Hassett.
Uh yeah , ya know how many times I have out guessed "economists". Most "economists" at least pretend to think there is a national debt. I is any easy profession to fake to the uninitiated and even when they know they lie. What do you think about the financial press that says we need cheap affordable hosing that increases in value. The majority sees no problem with that statement.

Quote:
That's
Quote:
the source of the $4,000 figure - the figure used by His Orangeness himself in a speech. And you can hate Jeff Bezos until green in the face, Trump still chose to use that figure. Those are facts - and won't change even if you don't like the source.
Well then I guess Trump was wrong, lying or manipulating. I would guess manipulating because its too hard to explain that low taxes are a precondition to wage growth. It would never do so alone without negotiation power from wages. That can only happen with lower unemployment and mote competition from capital. Of course with the left whining about Trump picking on the obvious Amazon monopoly, it will not come form there. Trusts like Google and Amazon are precious to the left. See how they read their news letters..

It also possible he is lying but Trump has better taste in the rich. He tends to benefit rich capitalists, not rich rentiers in a toll booth economy. Those rich people tend to hire much more labor.

Were you here when Obama did far worse and just handed money to banks? What Obama did does not fit into any economic theory at all. Was it Monetarist? Nope. Was it Keynesian ? Nope . Was it Austrian? Nope. The closets thing to the Obama bailout in economic theory would probably be Feudalism. The nobles own by right, despite the market.

The next thing we did was nothing, just letting the automatic stabilizers run. Algorithms spared us.

Anyway go ahead and inform us about your "economics" . Let us know which founder you were inspired from and tell us how to get there. Tell us how raising taxes will provide that economic boost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies