Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 01:26 PM

8,313 posts, read 3,921,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Tax cuts aren't going to create demand for HD motorcycles. The Boomers who loved them are aging, and there isn't the demand there once was. That's not Trump's fault, that is demographics. Meanwhile there have been a lot of hires elsewhere, business start ups, etc. Look at the stats man.
How quickly we forget. Remember how Trump killed the TPP? TPP would eliminated the high tariffs in 12 countries that Harley exports to. Trump effectively extinguished that market for Harley. HD had no kind words for Trump after he killed the TPP. Rather than cherry pick what WOULD work in the TPP and keep that, instead Trump had to destroy it entirely, in an appeal to his base - after all it was "Obama's plan". Throw the baby out with the bath water, shoot yourself squarely in the foot - this is how Trump operates.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/01/trum...d-the-tpp.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 01:30 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Guess they were not big enough. Maybe if they took them down to 5% or 0%
If you are losing money tax cuts do you no good. Where tax cuts help is increasing the return on profitable goods and services and leaving companies more money to invest in those areas

This ain’t that complicated. Any percentage of zero is zero. Liberals too dumb to understand that.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:31 PM

13,943 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
so then we agree, tax cuts are not a panacea that will magically solve all of societies ills
Who ever made the claim that tax cuts were any such thing? Individuals and corporations get to keep more of the money they earn, and that means the money itself is being used more efficiently, as nobody is less efficient with money than government, and it also increases the individual power while decreasing the collective's.

These are generally positive things, but not magical or utopian. Tax cuts by themselves only solve the ill of taxes being too high. Who made the claim they were a panacea for every ill of society?

Old 01-30-2018, 01:33 PM

13,307 posts, read 7,864,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That's hardly political. HD rested on their laurels for ages, believing that their brand mystique would somehow sell overpriced products forever, and they did the absolute minimum in product development. They should have realized that eventually, you can't uphold a rebel image and sell at lawyer-and-accountant pricing. So now they're facing a crowd of buyers who look at them as a byword for "midlife crisis".

They should have copied Ducati ages ago. Another motorcycle company that had a niche product with very limited appeal (in Ducati's case, achingly beautiful, temperamental, uncomfortable racing bikes), but one that didn't dig in its heels. Ducati sells bikes in a multitude of varieties now - racers, cafe racers, off-roaders, motard, retro and even the occasional tourer. An object lesson right under HD's nose, but...
Some a them Ducatis run on gas spring valves.

A few years ago, my friend came to my house riding a brand new Royal Enfield, still made in India.

Then just last year a guy at work showed up on a new Indian, made somewhere on the east coast.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:35 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,586,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Hell, Sonny Barger used to say years ago if it weren't for the image thing he'd rather ride a Beemer and I knew the co-owner of a Harley store in NJ who'd tell you much the same thing.
Sonny Barger did or still does ride a BMW. He said that the biggest mistake he made was getting his "buddies" to ride Harley's because mechanically they are junk.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:36 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
From what I read it's an uphill fight getting them to even want to drive.
Try finding a new car with manual transmission these days. They want nothing to do with them. If you can't do it from a phone, forget it. Another reason GA is in a steady decline. Yes, I know I am generalizing. There is even a TV commercial where a kid, and his friend can't change a flat tire, and they don't know what a lug wrench is, and are perfectly OK with it.

Last edited by Pilot1; 01-30-2018 at 02:02 PM..

Old 01-30-2018, 01:39 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Are they relocating? Are they discontinuing a line?

Curious ...
KC production is moving to York, PA. 800 jobs eliminated in KC.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:41 PM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
i remember when vans with $8000 custom painted exteriors were very popular. anybody see one lately?

times change.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 01-30-2018 at 03:08 PM..

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Some a them Ducatis run on gas spring valves.

A few years ago, my friend came to my house riding a brand new Royal Enfield, still made in India.

Then just last year a guy at work showed up on a new Indian, made somewhere on the east coast.
I believe you mean desmodromic valves which have opening and closing cams allowing cam profiles more radical than springs could cope with.

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
Curious if anyone knows how HD's plant in India is doing?

A excellent question. From what I have read that plant assembles the 500 and 750 models which are also made in Kansas City, although I don't know what else is done in either facility.

I see that they recently opened an assembly facility in Thailand as well.

Steelworkers, machinists upset with Harley-Davidson about plans for Thailand plant

Harley Davidson is a truly global brand. They manufacture product in one or another foreign country and ship to other foreign countries, and perhaps into the USA from there. Patriots might think of it as an American company, but that doesn't seem to be much the case any longer. They have graduated from exporting product to exporting investment capital (and potential jobs).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies