Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 03:35 PM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
So this story is out today about the woman in New Hampshire who died of septic shock (she first had the flu). She turned down taking Tamiflu after her doctor basically talked her out of it.

One expert quoted in the article says this about Tamiflu:

New Hampshire Mother Dies of Flu After Declining to Take Tamiflu | PEOPLE.com

So is it that effective as stated above or is the one-day thing?

When I had the flu 2 years ago, an urgent care doctor did give me a prescription for Tamiflu but pretty much talked me out of taking it because I was "healthy" and we don't want to create a resistance. I didn't take it so not sure if there are side effects or not for me.
Quote:
The next morning, Franks was found unconscious in her bathroom by her family, and she was rushed to Monadnock Community Hospital, near her home in New Ipswich. Doctors there believed Franks passed out due to her fever running high, and she was sent back home after receiving anti-nausea medication and fluids, according to the Union Leader.
There's your problem. Someone is so sick with flu they dehydrate and pass out and the hospital sends them home. I don't blame the first doctor for warning her about side effects of Tamiflu. I blame the hospital for failing to take it more seriously considering she was getting worse, vomiting and fainting. That doesn't sound like normal flu for a healthy adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 03:44 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
There's your problem. Someone is so sick with flu they dehydrate and pass out and the hospital sends them home. I don't blame the first doctor for warning her about side effects of Tamiflu. I blame the hospital for failing to take it more seriously considering she was getting worse, vomiting and fainting. That doesn't sound like normal flu for a healthy adult.
I think the flu was "normal". What is odd is these people going into sepsis within days. It's not like their lungs are shutting down, which is one way. The septic shock is odd. But I did read that there is a population of people that are sort of genetically disposed to have a bacterial get into the blood stream.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:46 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
edit: I keep reading different versions of what happened and when so my above sentence may or may not even be the truth, but is one version I read. No matter what, I find it strange that the media is trying to portray her death as one that could have been avoided if she had just taken the Tamiflu.
I agree. It sounds like she went septic shortly after becoming ill.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:50 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
This is just a reprisal of the "seat belt" logic used to try to attack vaccines etc.

Basically, it's like dismissing the value of seatbelts by discrediting their value in saving lives while counting up the flukes where they trap someone in a burning\sinking car etc.

I've also seen the buzzwords showing up in posts like "toxins", "preservatives", "big pharma"....all the usual stuff.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:19 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This is just a reprisal of the "seat belt" logic used to try to attack vaccines etc.

Basically, it's like dismissing the value of seatbelts by discrediting their value in saving lives while counting up the flukes where they trap someone in a burning\sinking car etc.

I've also seen the buzzwords showing up in posts like "toxins", "preservatives", "big pharma"....all the usual stuff.
I think it's much more like being honest with what Tamiflu has been proven to be able to do (can decrease the duration by one day when taken early enough into illness) and weighing that against the known(and potential) side effects.

Last edited by MissTerri; 01-31-2018 at 05:35 PM..

Old 01-31-2018, 05:49 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,660 times
I don't know about all that but that stuff made me sick. When I went to the doctors the only problem I had was that I was run down. I even tested negative for the flu but they still put me on it. The first dose I felt nothing but the second dose I acquired all the other symptoms. I stopped taking it after that. The detox was hard at first but with some natural things I tried it started getting better.

The funniest part about it is if you read the descriptions Tamiflu does not even get rid of the flu it just reduces your recovery time by a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
All medicine has side effects.
That's why I stay away from as many prescriptions as possible. They all suck. I used to take at least Pepto Bismol but now I can't even take that anymore because I started getting diarrhea from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
As we all know, EVER drug you take, even over the counter drugs like advil and tylenol have side affects.
These rare side affects are just that....rare.
Yup a medicine like that played a hand in me developing gastritis. Tylenol didn't but it would give me rebound headaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
This drug has never made any sense to me.

It lessens symptoms by one day? What's the point? How would you ever know if it is *working*? You can't.

Take 2 shots of vodka and sleep. It'll also lessen symptoms by one day. With no side effects, risk of adverse events or ingestion of chemical, preservatives or other toxic substances.
I took an elderberry tablet and I could actually feel it working but you do have to be careful not to take too many because the second dose was too much zinc for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
The problem with Tamiflu isn't the drug itself....but rather, doctor's prescribing it when it shouldn't be prescribed. It should only be used for higher risk patients with confirmed cases, but instead, it's being prescribed to everyone, and even those that only have the cold.
That is my concern as well. I mean if you have to take a drug then fine but in some cases the doctor needs to think more about it before making it seem like taking a possibly dangerous substance is the only option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I skipped the vaccine and didn't get sick at all.

Your point?
My mom got the flu shot and she still got the flu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Don't like Tamiflu, don't take Tamiflu, problem solved.
Doctors prescribe it even when you don't want it and then you're basically pushed to take it.
They have a hard time accepting a "no"
This is the issue. We could always just not go to the doctor at all though. That's what I'm thinking about doing. The next time I am sick I am thinking about just diagnosing myself. 90 percent of health problems are mental anyway.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:24 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
I know some docs who won’t prescribe it and others over-prescribe it. I think if given within the first day or two of a confirmed flu then it is useful.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:52 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,226,282 times
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucele.../#3d0d6821307b

Old 02-01-2018, 11:00 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
So to sum it up, no one knows if the hallucinations and other strange events such as kids jumping out of windows, committing suicide, etc. are a side effect of Tamiflu or the flu.

Quote:
"the manufacturer of the drug sponsored all the trials and the reviewers found evidence of publication and reporting biases." He added that "With so much at stake I was surprised that there had been no prospective, placebo-controlled trials conducted that were funded by an independent source." Looks like more independent scientific studies may be necessary before making more definitive conclusions about the safety of Tamiflu.
Amazing that is drug was approved.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:14 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,977,467 times
I am currently taking tamiflu as a preventative measure because I have been caring for my sick daughter who has the flu all week. First day I did get sick to my stomach to the point I could have thrown up but I stupidly took it on an empty stomach with coffee. The last 3 days I have taken with food and have been ok. I do feel “off” though but that could also be my body fighting off the flu. To me, even if it gives me a fifty percent chance of avoiding the flu it’s worth it. I did have the flu shot. So did my sick daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies