Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 12:40 PM

6,492 posts, read 7,517,176 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain what this statement from President's Trump's speech means?

In a previous thread conservatives made it very clear to me that they were not against what is known as renewable energies but more so the government subsidies they receive. I'd like to hear more on what peoples thoughts are on the "beautiful, clean coal" remark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 12:42 PM

18,705 posts, read 7,587,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
You don't understand?

My sympathies.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:43 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,547,356 times
Quote:
Become a Republican and you will have access to all knowledge censored by the Dems and Leftist media.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:44 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,171,828 times
That coal you take out of the ground and clean

“...they’re taking out coal, they’re going to clean it.” DT

Old 01-31-2018, 12:46 PM

6,492 posts, read 7,517,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
You don't understand?

My sympathies.
I'd like to hear other's takes on it to understand more, I am very interested in the energy sector. Thank you for responding.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:47 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,349,739 times
Its misdirection. There was no real war on coal, coal simply became economically a bad choice, frakking has released a ton of natural gas that is cheaper then coal. The attempt to call it "clean coal" is as moronic of a marketing attempt as you might suspect.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:54 PM

11,218 posts, read 8,286,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Its misdirection. There was no real war on coal, coal simply became economically a bad choice, frakking has released a ton of natural gas that is cheaper then coal. The attempt to call it "clean coal" is as moronic of a marketing attempt as you might suspect.
THIS^

nothing more, coal never has been clean, but that has nothing to do with it's decline. Good old American Enginuity has made oil and gas extraction much less expensive, and coal is no longer competitive.

Note: This is coming from a Trump disliker and a "Lib". Fact is that Oil and Gas (most of which is fracked) is a better choice. I'd like to see us go more and more to renewables, but that is a long road and we'll need our fossil energy for decades as we make the transition. I'm OK with that.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:07 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,780,094 times
Quote:

In a previous thread conservatives made it very clear to me that they were not against what is known as renewable energies but more so the government subsidies they receive. I'd like to hear more on what peoples thoughts are on the "beautiful, clean coal" remark.
If I'm not mistaken that beautiful clean coal means that we are mining coal again and exporting most of it.

The war on energy was regulating coal out of existence and forcing generation plants to rework to run on NatGas, which has been done. These plants aren't ever going to burn coal again, at least not as long as we are swimming in the stuff (NG).

Under Trump's admin, we are becoming a net exporter of energy (coal, natgas, oil, byproducts...etc.) rather than being an importer. It's the new energy independence initiatives.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:07 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,881,978 times
It means that Trump supports coal obtained by the hellishly destructive mountaintop removal method, which has laid waste to untold acreage in eastern Kentucky, West Virginia, western Virginia, and eastern Tennessee. It means that he supports selling such coal to China and bragging about exporting it.

It means that he has absolutely no understanding of or interest in or concern about the true cost of such destruction.

Take a look at these areas on Google Earth if you are not familiar with mountaintop removal, which is just what it sounds like. Tops of the oldest mountains in the world are blown off by dynamite in order to get to the coal, and restoration is pathetic, with handfuls of non-native grass seed and heavy doses of fertilizer being scattered among the bare blown apart rocks and heavily bulldozed level shelves left when the mountaintop is gone.

There is no way to restore the rich and highly diverse forests which once grew there, nor can the water be adequately cleaned of the arsenic, lead, and other toxins which are exposed by the blasts and which leach into the groundwater. This practice has led to boulders rolling downhill into houses below and killing little children as they slept in their beds.

Yet mountaintop removal coal mining remains legal, and Trump terms it "beautiful".

It is used to extract coal from veins which are too small to be mined by other methods, such as deep mining or even strip mining, another extremely destructive practice. That coal was left by the deep miners because it was viewed as unreachable and/or economically unfeasible to mine. It still is economically unfeasible to mine for the domestic market, which has been heavily impacted by natural gas, but there are still markets abroad - for now. China is cleaning up its act and any sales there are likely to be very short-term.

Trump was playing to the crowd, specifically, to his WVA base, which seems to be willfully blind to the clear indications of what is coming in a very few short years.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:09 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,881,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
If I'm not mistaken that beautiful clean coal means that we are mining coal again and exporting most of it.

The war on energy was regulating coal out of existence and forcing generation plants to rework to run on NatGas, which has been done. These plants aren't ever going to burn coal again, at least not as long as we are swimming in the stuff.

Under Trump's admin, we are becoming a net exporter of energy (coal, natgas, oil, byproducts rather than being an importer. It's the new energy independence initiatives.
You write as if exporting coal is a good thing. It is not. Read my previous post. Appalachia's mountains are being destroyed in order to sell coal to China and other third world countries. The game isn't worth the precious candle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies