Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 09:50 AM

58,936 posts, read 27,247,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The NRA has a gun safety program they teach called Eagle Eddy BUT, NON of the dem controlled state will allow it to be put on in their schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 09:54 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,492,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Clearly I need to put this in simpler terms. What difference does it make if gun safety used to be taught in school? We don't continue to do things just because we did them before. If you think it's a good idea, make an argument for it. But to say it's good because we did it before makes no sense. People stating it repeatedly adds nothing to the discussion except waxing nostalgic. Now this is in no way an argument against gun lessons, just pointing out it is not an argument for it either. It is irrelevant.

You're either being intentionally obtuse or you simply don't understand logic.
Safe sex/sex ed was ramped up in the 90s.
Since then, teenage pregnancy, abortion, and STD rates declined from 90-2014.

Firearms safety that was touched on when I was in school, consisted of demonizing and telling us kids that guns are bad don't touch them.
That creates an allure. The "forbidden fruit" approach. If you want something done... tell a kid to do the opposite. That or create an allure that piques their interest.

Remove the allure, it removes curiosity. This would remove the desire to go oooh shiny and "play" with a gun. Combine safe handling techniques and actually firing the weapon it "gets it out of their system".

Knowing these are not toys, knowing how to handle them, it would prevent a scenario where a kid goes to spend the night/weekend at a friend's house who's parents have firearms. If they should find one, not "play with it" as they know the firearm isn't a toy...

Old 02-01-2018, 09:58 AM

29,406 posts, read 14,607,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Safe sex/sex ed was ramped up in the 90s.
Since then, teenage pregnancy, abortion, and STD rates declined from 90-2014.

Firearms safety that was touched on when I was in school, consisted of demonizing and telling us kids that guns are bad don't touch them.
That creates an allure. The "forbidden fruit" approach. If you want something done... tell a kid to do the opposite. That or create an allure that piques their interest.

Remove the allure, it removes curiosity. This would remove the desire to go oooh shiny and "play" with a gun. Combine safe handling techniques and actually firing the weapon it "gets it out of their system".

Knowing these are not toys, knowing how to handle them, it would prevent a scenario where a kid goes to spend the night/weekend at a friend's house who's parents have firearms. If they should find one, not "play with it" as they know the firearm isn't a toy...
I proved this with my daughter. I would have my guns out for cleaning and she would ask questions I would explain things to her and eventually she came to care less about them. And the instance when she was older and a boy friend was showing of a rifle she called him out for being careless with how he was handling it.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I proved this with my daughter. I would have my guns out for cleaning and she would ask questions I would explain things to her and eventually she came to care less about them. And the instance when she was older and a boy friend was showing of a rifle she called him out for being careless with how he was handling it.
Worked for me. I was 4 or 5 when my father took me to shoot a 22 pistol.
I had firearms in the house, they were in a glass cabinet with ammo locked up underneath the display in the cabinet.

Never had a reason to pull one out, show it off to friends, or play with it.
Why? I'd catch a beating.

If I wanted to shoot, I just had to ask my dad. Until about 14 years old. Then I just had to tell him or my mother where I would be shooting and grab whatever rifle/shotgun, ammo, targets, hop on a quad and go up in the woods.

There were times I had friends spend the night. They'd go home and tell their parents we had guns. The phone would ring and it would be the kids mother or father FREAKING out... yet... those rifles/shotguns never left the cabinet, nor were they touched...

Some parents didn't find it crazy or offensive to have firearms present in the home. They themselves had firearms too...

Odd how that works... when the theme is kids are natural bullet magnets and will play with guns and shoot themselves, their siblings, their friends who spend the night etc etc...

Rod and gun club I was a member of from 13-24, there were many times where I was the only person present on a Sunday (18+). Shooting all by myself.

So, it's not rocket surgery to figure out if you want to prevent something, regardless of how uncomfortable that thing may be (like safe sex/sex ed) to discuss, it would be beneficial to discuss it, rather than fear monger, and create an allure...

Why anyone would oppose safe practices taught is beyond me unless it's because it hurts someone's ego to have safety taught by someone other than themselves to their kids.

But parents don't parent any more. Load the kid up on Ritalin and toss a video game to keep them pre-occupied. It's the "A.D.D./A.D.H.D." Paying attention, seems "parents" these days want the school to raise jr, and something to keep the kid preoccupied so they don't disturb mommy and daddy dearest.
I'm calling it exactly how I see it. There are not many parents who parent these days.

Just because you made one or a dozen, doesn't make you a parent...

So if the school won't teach the kids, then you must be a parent and get out of the lazy boy put down the remote, actually engage and interact with your kids, and be a parent... stop relying on the school or government to do it for you, you lazy pricks.

Of everyone I know 25-35 that have kids (cousins and friends from highschool and college) a significant majority follows the same trend of blatting and getting the kid some sort of medicine prescribed to deal with a make believe condition, toss them a video game, a tablet, computer etc, so they aren't bothered by the kid. And the kids don't play outside either. They're fragile. It disgusts me, I'd rather spend time with my kids build tree houses for them, ride dirt bikes and quads with them, take them shooting/hunting, actually be a part of their lives rather than be in a room distant from me with a video game going 6 hours per night...

Old 02-01-2018, 10:31 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,718,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
I have concluded from your statement that there are more accidents with Glocks because there are more of them out there and in use. Not because of a design flaw.
Is this a technical question? I don't want to go off topic

Old 02-01-2018, 10:31 AM

19,713 posts, read 10,101,966 times
Growing up in a rural area, everyone had guns. All the men that I knew hunted, except my father, he was never into it. But he bought me a 22 at age 8 and my older brother taught me the rules.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:33 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,611,282 times
It's quite amazing how whenever a negligent discharge happens the one responsible seems to always claim they were cleaning the weapon. In my entire life I have never been able to clean a loaded weapon. Before any cleaning operations can happen, the graven in stone procedure is to clear and disassemble the firearm.

I've always wondered how someone can be cleaning a firearm with the action closed on a chamber that has not been visually cleared. Maybe this is some new tacticool sort of "cleaning" procedure meant to be performed while in the middle of a firefight?

Old 02-01-2018, 10:36 AM

46,948 posts, read 25,950,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
If you see a firearm assume it is loaded, don't touch it, and contact an adult.
Bingo. If you're a kid, treat firearms as you would a running chainsaw - "Don't touch, you idiot!".

Old 02-01-2018, 10:37 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,121,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The NRA has a gun safety program they teach called Eagle Eddy BUT, NON of the dem controlled state will allow it to be put on in their schools.
I spent my junior high school years in public schools in Nebraska and Iowa, and we had hunter's safety and outdoor survival classes. I loved those classes. The kids in most places now only learn about survival on the 8 o'clock news and think that this only involves going to the local grocery store to stock up on about three days worth of water and some snacks.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
It's quite amazing how whenever a negligent discharge happens the one responsible seems to always claim they were cleaning the weapon. In my entire life I have never been able to clean a loaded weapon. Before any cleaning operations can happen, the graven in stone procedure is to clear and disassemble the firearm.

I've always wondered how someone can be cleaning a firearm with the action closed on a chamber that has not been visually cleared. Maybe this is some new tacticool sort of "cleaning" procedure meant to be performed while in the middle of a firefight?
Always seems to happen while "cleaning"

I don't understand how it's possible... you have to open the action on almost every weapon to properly clean the barrel and chamber...

But alas... Common sense is not a common commodity...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies