Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2018, 11:45 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
There is a Reuters story referring to Page as an "employee". I'll switch to my desk top and see if I can post some direct quotes.
All of these articles are coming from a Wall Street Journal article where Carter Page is discussed as a "key FBI informant" in a Russian Intelligence operation in New York.

Some sites have decided to make grandiose statements about him being an "employee." Technically, he was as informants usually get some sort of compensation from the FBI, in some form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 11:48 AM

26,563 posts, read 14,441,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post

Carter Page said last night in an interview that we worked with the FBI as a witness.
was he a witness for the FBI or an undercover FBI employee?

interesting but needs more time researching then i can devote today.

will see how this progresses.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:54 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
was he a witness for the FBI or an undercover FBI employee?

interesting but needs more time researching then i can devote today.

will see how this progresses.
I don't know the answer to that question.

One thing is for sure, we haven't gotten the whole story yet.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:57 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
So I did a quick search of "Carter Page FBI informant."

We've got an article in GatewayPundit about how "Carter Page was working as an under-cover employee (UCE) of the FBI, helping them to build a case against “Evgeny Buryakov."

Next on the list is Ron "Secret Society" Johnson in Brietbart claiming that Carter Page may have been included in the secret society of folks within the DOJ and FBI.

It goes downhill from there.

But you get the drift.
Thanks for that.

More straw-clutching from the usual suspects.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:59 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Well, if Nunes wanted that specified in the FISA application (and here I've NO idea of the level of detail that a judge might want to see or what is customary in these applications) ...

then Nunes shouldn't have written the memo to seemingly allege there was a total omission of any political bias - which in the end is the key conclusion.

It's funny (or not) - Gowdy is complaining that the FISA application footnote was not clear enough.

What about the Nunes memo?
I cannot wait to see all of the font memes.

Going to be all kinds of fun.

Nunes: Fine, the FBI Didn

Old 02-06-2018, 12:07 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Interesting interview with Schiff from this morning.

Quote:

CAMEROTA: There are a couple of headlines from the Nunes memo I want to bounce off of you. And I know that this is a challenge because until the president says you can release it, I know your rebuttal is classified. But this is out there. And I want you to respond to it as best you can. One is that the deputy director of the FBI, McCabe, testified before your committee in December of 2017 that no surveillance warrant, no FISA court -- to the FISA court would have been sought without the Steele dossier information. Is that true?

SCHIFF: That's a characterization that's not what Director McCabe or deputy director McCabe actually said. While I can't go into the details of what he said, essentially his argument was we look at this as a complete whole. All the parts of the application are important. That was the sum and substance of what he said.
The broader point, though, was that the only parts of the dossier that were important were those that pertained to Carter Page. And some of that was corroborated. We set this out in our responsive memo. So it's very important for people to understand, contrary to the misleading impression that the GOP gives, the salacious video and all that stuff, that was not part of the FISA application. Only the parts pertinent to Carter Page. And there was corroboration of some of those very important elements.

CAMEROTA: That's really helpful. So you're saying that the FISA court never saw the most salacious, uncorroborated stuff?

SCHIFF: That's exactly right. And we'll be releasing the transcript of our hearing last night, and you can see members making this argument, that unfortunately it's because they haven't read the underlying materials. So one of my colleagues, for example, said, well, we don't have evidence that Michael Cohen made a trip to Prague. This is also part of the dossier. But that Michael Cohen trip to Prague wasn't part of the materials provided to the FISA court. So it's very disingenuous to say the FISA court was misled because we don't believe Michael Cohen went to Prague when that information was never provided to the court.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...isa_court.html

Old 02-06-2018, 12:08 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,340,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
So I did a quick search of "Carter Page FBI informant."

We've got an article in GatewayPundit about how "Carter Page was working as an under-cover employee (UCE) of the FBI, helping them to build a case against “Evgeny Buryakov."

Next on the list is Ron "Secret Society" Johnson in Brietbart claiming that Carter Page may have been included in the secret society of folks within the DOJ and FBI.

It goes downhill from there.

But you get the drift.
And at that point your interest (and any willingness to spend hopefully valuable time) trails off ...

Especially after an hour or so devoted to parsing the misleading Nunes' language in his memo.

So much "easier" to simply go along with whatever partisan flow you've attached yourself to ...

And not put in the hard work or time - for it does take that.

Here, if there is to be blame I tend to start with elected officials who - partisan or not - have SOME responsibility for veracity to the public. Our standards are now so low.

That's not to say that Administrations in decades past did not woefully mislead the public for one purpose or not - just take a look at the Vietnam Era.

But there, when caught, there was a backlash - and deservedly so (although, if national security is involved, I'm not opposed to a certain obfuscation).

Now? A politician's clear lies can be exposed - over and over. But ... it ... makes ... no ... difference.

And so it continues.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:15 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Could you write a one-sentence summary of the allegation?

I clicked on CTH but I'm not about to wade through all the detail. Here, I'll say that often publications like that frequently bury the reader in various "facts" with endless links - with the sheer volume seemingly creating the mirage of well-researched evidence. But it's an allusion. A deceptive one.

IF the point is that Carter Page received some sort of payment from the FBI along the way, again (like I first said), so what? Why is that relevant?
The gist of the story is (in case someone else wants a summary):

that until May 2016, Carter Page was "working for the FBI helping them build a case to prosecute" a Russian spy named Evgeny Buryakov. Page is documented as an "undercover employee" (UCE-1) but was "posing as an analyst working for a NY based oil and gas firm" for over 2 years.

Later, Page is used by the FBI as an "opportunity to get a foot in the door" at the Trump campaign, ostensibly for surveillance purposes. So now the FBI turns on their "employee" and brands him a Russian spy "in order to 'legally' spy on Trump's campaign and transition teams".

When Page realizes how he has been played by the FBI, he starts publicly making claims about a conspiracy to take down Trump.

The key is, the "FBI knew all along Carter Page was not any kind of foreign agent for Russia. The entire FISA warrant was based on a huge lie. And the people who took it to the FISA Court *knew* it was a huge lie". That is the relevance.

As you say, there are numerous links from documents and news stories and probably other details as well.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:18 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,585,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
The gist of the story is (in case someone else wants a summary):

that until May 2016, Carter Page was "working for the FBI helping them build a case to prosecute" a Russian spy named Evgeny Buryakov. Page is documented as an "undercover employee" (UCE-1) but was "posing as an analyst working for a NY based oil and gas firm" for over 2 years.

Later, Page is used by the FBI as an "opportunity to get a foot in the door" at the Trump campaign, ostensibly for surveillance purposes. So now the FBI turns on their "employee" and brands him a Russian spy "in order to 'legally' spy on Trump's campaign and transition teams".

When Page realizes how he has been played by the FBI, he starts publicly making claims about a conspiracy to take down Trump.

The key is, the "FBI knew all along Carter Page was not any kind of foreign agent for Russia. The entire FISA warrant was based on a huge lie. And the people who took it to the FISA Court *knew* it was a huge lie". That is the relevance.

As you say, there are numerous links from documents and news stories and probably other details as well.
If Page was working for the FBI, why not just have him record the calls or otherwise assist in providing audio surveillance? Makes no sense.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:22 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
I have not see the story on Page working for the FBI anywhere except the CTH and some of the other right wing sites, these are not credible news sources these are bloggers. If this story was true every credible newspaper would carry it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies