Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 06:31 PM

2,979 posts, read 1,162,718 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 06:32 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,509,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I didn’t read all 11 pages, but I’m curious- how many Democrats stood up and yelled at the President—“You lie!”

Just asking....
How many Republicans marched out in a triggered fit upon hearing the chamber break out in a chant of "USA, USA," the way that Luiz Guittierez did?

Old 02-01-2018, 06:34 PM

16,760 posts, read 8,203,610 times
Last I heard no one YELLED YOU LIE in the middle of the speech.

If I was there in the gallery I may have yelled that a few times.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:22 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,819,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Maybe because more than 1200 Democrats lost their seats due to Obama's policies.
Yeah, GOP shady voter redistricting policies like they tried in NC have nothing to do with that.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
How does this make the "GOP worse"? This is partly why they were elected....to reverse course. Politics in this country are usually on a pendulum, and in this case, the results showed that voters disagreed with the current swing. "Elections have consequences..."

This is exactly right. And don't forget Rep. Guitierrez walking out during the chants of "USA, USA".

And playing Candy Crush? This is an insult to every single taxpayer. We pay these people. This is their JOB.
Exactly WRONG.

If you treat US politics as a winner take all zero sum game, you get where we are today.

The winners (either side) can't just deny that about 50% of the population's concerns and views should be ignored because their choice in the election did not win.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Worse than Luis Guittierez walking out in protest when they started chanting USA, USA?

No, it wasn't.
Right. Someone walking out is much worse that someone else yelling out "You lie!" during the POTUS State of the Union speech.

Luis Guittierez was practicing his First Amendment rights. He didn't interrupt Trump's speech.

Joe Wilson was being rude. What did your parents teach you about respect?

Old 02-01-2018, 08:41 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,509,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Right. Someone walking out is much worse that someone else yelling out "You lie!" during the POTUS State of the Union speech.

Luis Guittierez was practicing his First Amendment rights. He didn't interrupt Trump's speech.

Joe Wilson was being rude. What did your parents teach you about respect?
They taught me not to be a traitor to my country.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:42 PM
Status: "College baseball this weekend." (set 23 hours ago)

52,671 posts, read 47,918,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I have no problem with Congressmembers not applauding for policy issues they disagree with. The Republicans do this when Democratic presidents speak. But much of what Trump said was pretty generically patriotic. To not applaud for those things only makes you look bad. I’m guessing that Democrats were given orders not to applaud for anything, and they took it literally.
What's really sadder is that, when Trump recognized Steve Scalise and how he is alive and kicking after nearly dying from a gunshot wound last fall, Democrats did not stand and applaud for him, either. They could not stand or applaud. They could not rejoice that Scalise is alive! This definitely is very disturbing, and shows that Dems really are heartless and cruel. It gives the impression that they'd rather have Scalise dead (which, astonishingly, was the sentiment of one Nebraska Democrat). Their actions for this one thing are just unforgivable.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:43 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,620,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
From the Washington Post:
The Dems and their hand-puppets in the media have the volume of their racial animus and name calling turned up absolutely full blast. There is no way to make it louder. They are mad, yes very mad. They were glowering and pouting during the SOTU to make their point. They did not stand up to clap even news of low unemployment among minorities or the suggestion of a huge infrastructure bill, because they want everyone to know how angry and how offended they are.

Of course they are also hurling racial epithets indiscriminately and in an incredibly irresponsible manner, as is their standard practice, which some people who are not generally not all that interested in politics are seeing for the first time in connection with the aftermath of this SOTU speech.

It isn't working and they know it. The race card playing is being almost entirely ignored and nobody except the most unhinged leftist wingnuts are putting any stock in it. The anger is coming across for exactly what it is, the acting out of a large group of petulant children.

This is a very bad look for the Democrats.

Seriously, this speech is when Donald Trump was accepted as president by all but the most marginal opponents of Donald Trump. It is also the moment when the Democrat left discredited themselves with their shark-jumping display of excessive contempt for President Trump.

For reference purposes so we can look back on this moment later, this is when it happened. This was when Trump was legitimized as the President of the United States, with a big assist from the Dems and their petulant conduct on worldwide television.

January 30, 2018. Remember that date.
Not nearly as bad as the dude yelling "You Lie!!"

He took the cake.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:46 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,062,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Exactly WRONG.

If you treat US politics as a winner take all zero sum game, you get where we are today.

The winners (either side) can't just deny that about 50% of the population's concerns and views should be ignored because their choice in the election did not win.
Remind me again, who was it that said "Elections have consequences"?

Oh, that's right! Obama.

Obama's full statement : "Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won. So I think on that one I trump you.”

So don't blame that on the Republicans.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile....ition.amp.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies