Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 05:52 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,171,516 times

Advertisements

OP abandoned their own thread. What does that tell you?

Another fail.

The store did this guy wrong.

And lol at the stupid comment about wearing previously purchased merchandise to the same store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 06:04 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Price tags are racist. No more price tags.

Stupid people will pay more at check out and never know it.
What are you even talking about?

Old 02-01-2018, 06:15 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,285,556 times
Loud and wrong again, huh, OP? That must suck.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:17 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 25 days ago)

27,640 posts, read 16,125,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
OP abandoned their own thread. What does that tell you?

Another fail.

The store did this guy wrong.

And lol at the stupid comment about wearing previously purchased merchandise to the same store.
I saw this on local at noon. They were scanning a tag. Was the guy wronged because his color? How many colors shopped that day?

Old 02-01-2018, 06:18 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,171,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
I saw this on local at noon. They were scanning a tag. Was the guy wronged because his color? How many colors shopped that day?
Just admit you were wrong and move along.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:45 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
No they weren't. I posted the link to the video above. They were looking up the item numbers of a clothing tag - NOT a price tag - and hand keying them into the register. There was no price tag hanging off the clothing, just the normal clothing tag that is sewn in.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:37 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,395,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Wearing clothing from a store while going to shop at that same store is low class? And I suppose racial profiling is done by some very fine people?
1. If the guy had the tag on his jacket, your point about racial profiling is moot. If there was no tag, then you (or he as the case may be) would have to prove that the store clerks would not stop to check a White person wearing store clothing out, without paying, while the same clothing is featured in the store. The guy makes a dubious assertion that other people in the store wore that seasons styles in the store, because he can't prove it.

If he had the tag on (which he very likely did), the people defending him here are essentially defending the ability to put clothes on, in store, and walk out with them without paying. Using the "racist" accusation if someone stops them from stealing. This particular case, if the tag was on, is unusual because no one generally walks around with the price tag on their clothing. The store clerks would not be blamed for stopping him as a likely thief in that instance.

2. If you people want to get into discussions of "class", without revving up into a pointless hysterical frenzy like Catgirl did, then we can do that.

First, I'll give you a reference. My reference is Paul Fussell's "Class: A Guide through the American Status System". Just so that you know that I'm not going on my opinion, although I do hold that this particular behavior is rather intuitive as low class, but rather am appealing to the person who wrote the defining book on the American Class system. I've read the book twice because Fussell is a talented writer. I recommend it.

First, doing anything to draw negative attention / suspicion of theft to yourself is low class. Period. That's before we get into other issues, but this is probably the most salient point about the class implications of wearing an item into a busy store where it is still on sale. I feel that this should be intuitive for everyone. Moreover, making a low-wage salesperson's life unduly difficult because you are forcing them to make a theft assessment of your activities because of what you are wearing is low class.

The rest of the issues discussed are a distant second to the above, but you asked for it. These are the issues that are likely to send people who somehow believe that there isn't a class system in America into a rage:

Without getting into any potential class issues that would arise from the Old Navy brand and clothing quality, I'll merely address clothing quantity. A particular higher class signal is to signal that you own a higher quantity of clothing. Upper class people frequently display this quantity through layering.

Wearing an item to he store where it was recently bought gives the opposite signal of the layering concept. It shows that your wardrobe is so meager that you have little other option but to wear something to a store that other people are looking at and buying with you standing there. As I said, it makes you look like a store mannequin.

There are your class answers, like them or not. Rage away.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:41 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
First, doing anything to draw negative attention / suspicion of theft to yourself is low class. Period. That's before we get into other issues, but this is probably the most salient point about the class implications of wearing an item into a busy store where it is still on sale. I feel that this should be intuitive for everyone. Moreover, making a low-wage salesperson's life unduly difficult because you are forcing them to make a theft assessment of your activities because of what you are wearing is low class.
You have no standing to be preaching class to anyone.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:49 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,395,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You have no standing to be preaching class to anyone.
There's that class rage.

Sick burn bro.

It's a shame that what I "preached" as being low class is unassailable as truth. And it really isn't that hard to not do. It's basic low-drama behavior. Throw on an old hoody, instead of the new Old Navy jacket, when going to the Old Navy store.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:13 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
1. If the guy had the tag on his jacket, your point about racial profiling is moot. If there was no tag, then you (or he as the case may be) would have to prove that the store clerks would not stop to check a White person wearing store clothing out, without paying, while the same clothing is featured in the store. The guy makes a dubious assertion that other people in the store wore that seasons styles in the store, because he can't prove it.

If he had the tag on (which he very likely did), the people defending him here are essentially defending the ability to put clothes on, in store, and walk out with them without paying. Using the "racist" accusation if someone stops them from stealing. This particular case, if the tag was on, is unusual because no one generally walks around with the price tag on their clothing. The store clerks would not be blamed for stopping him as a likely thief in that instance.

2. If you people want to get into discussions of "class", without revving up into a pointless hysterical frenzy like Catgirl did, then we can do that.

First, I'll give you a reference. My reference is Paul Fussell's "Class: A Guide through the American Status System". Just so that you know that I'm not going on my opinion, although I do hold that this particular behavior is rather intuitive as low class, but rather am appealing to the person who wrote the defining book on the American Class system. I've read the book twice because Fussell is a talented writer. I recommend it.

The rest of the issues discussed are a distant second to the above, but you asked for it. These are the issues that are likely to send people who somehow believe that there isn't a class system in America into a rage:

Without getting into any potential class issues that would arise from the Old Navy brand and clothing quality, I'll merely address clothing quantity. A particular higher class signal is to signal that you own a higher quantity of clothing. Upper class people frequently display this quantity through layering.

Wearing an item to he store where it was recently bought gives the opposite signal of the layering concept. It shows that your wardrobe is so meager that you have little other option but to wear something to a store that other people are looking at and buying with you standing there. As I said, it makes you look like a store mannequin.

There are your class answers, like them or not. Rage away.

Too bad you failed your own exam.

1. There is video evidence that there was no price tag. The clerks were getting numbers of a regular, sewn in clothing tag and hand keying them into the register. No scanning. So no, he "very likely" did not have a tag. That could have been cleared up easily by a little reading comprehension of the now multiple times that's been posted in this thread.

And the person involved stated that white customers next to him in the store also wearing Old Navy clothing were not asked to let the store staff examine that clothing.

2. I have no idea who "you people" are - you quoted me, but I don't know who I'm supposed to represent. In any case, your tortured argument that it's somehow inappropriate to wear a line of mass marketed clothing back to the same store where it was purchased is inane.

3. It's racist to suggest that shopping while black is doing something to draw attention to yourself. But that's exactly what you are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies