Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 01:51 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,358,852 times

Advertisements

Part of the reason I really love the President is because he isn't religious at all.

In fact, he reminds me of myself having no religion, yes we are still conservative. He is also really non-partisan and not that ideological, but believes in winning. This is why I find it so odd that the Democrats have such a difficult time with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 01:55 AM

30,677 posts, read 21,811,937 times
Yep, can't argue with you there. He definately operates in a different world than what I live in. If Dems were right, Trump would have destroyed the country by now. But, like all things, they are "Always" wrong when it comes to Trump.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:12 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,893,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Yep, can't argue with you there. He definately operates in a different world than what I live in. If Dems were right, Trump would have destroyed the country by now. But, like all things, they are "Always" wrong when it comes to Trump.
From what I've seen on this board, I'm not sure this country is doing so great.

Economics -- yeah -- Americans can trudge through anything. We've been enjoying a slow, steady, growing economy for 8 years and shouldn't see that change. There is no reason to. The economy would chug along whoever was in charge.

Everything else -- what a freak'n mess.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:32 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,724,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Part of the reason I really love the President is because he isn't religious at all.

In fact, he reminds me of myself having no religion, yes we are still conservative. He is also really non-partisan and not that ideological, but believes in winning. This is why I find it so odd that the Democrats have such a difficult time with him.
He is politically incorrect. That is more important than anything else to a modern progressive.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:39 AM

6,252 posts, read 5,046,680 times
Quote:

I am also conservative but not religious. My priorities during the election were aligned with Trumps. I agreed with his proposed solutions to the problems facing the country. My priorities were not aligned with Clintons and the direction she wanted to take the country was not the direction I wanted the country to go. Who I voted for in 2016 was as complicated and as simple as that.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:13 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,219,270 times
Liberals may come to miss the days of the religious right. Religion acts as a moderating force for conservatism in some aspects. Not on libertarian issues, but on issues of welfare.

Religious conservatives are more likely to support policies like prison reform, foreign aid, refugee acceptance, and welfare in general. Religion also has a univeralist aspect, such that you can be accepted by coreligionists even if you are not ethnically or culturally similar.

Secular conservatives, on the other hand, are generally less charitable and more concerned with law and order. They may see no prospect of final judgement, and so be more ruthless. They can also be more nationalistic, since their worldview is civically oriented rather than spiritually oriented.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:23 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,602,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Liberals may come to miss the days of the religious right. Religion acts as a moderating force for conservatism in some aspects. Not on libertarian issues, but on issues of welfare.

Religious conservatives are more likely to support policies like prison reform, foreign aid, refugee acceptance, and welfare in general. Religion also has a univeralist aspect, such that you can be accepted by coreligionists even if you are not ethnically or culturally similar.

Secular conservatives, on the other hand, are generally less charitable and more concerned with law and order. They may see no prospect of final judgement, and so be more ruthless. They can also be more nationalistic, since their worldview is civically oriented rather than spiritually oriented.
I think those days are over. I get what you're saying. I often saw that attitude in my son's religious school, with most of the nuns leaning left. I would agree that the very religious Pope Francis is 100% behind all of the things in your second paragraph.

Yet, the political/religious power base in this country, is 100% opposed to any of those things. Their sole concerns are forcing their Christian biblical morality on the entire population which violates civil rights for some and abortion, abortion, abortion.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:32 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,358,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post

I think you're correct to a point. As a secular conservative myself, I am charitable privately and quietly and give what I can to organizations I think are deserving. I am not, however charitable in the sense that I believe the government should be deciding what to do with that money, to 'help' people with the problems the government created.

I believe the rule of law and yes, law and order, are of utmost importance and fundamental to our republic. I am also very nationalistic, having traveled and lived all over the world, I understand the value of America and what it means.

Of fundamental importance, is the belief that we are what we think we are and we each, as individuals have the ability to create our own world and do whatever we want in life, BUT understanding that if we violate norms and laws, there are and should be consequences.

I'm not interested in helping people, because each person is capable of helping himself.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:44 AM

68,298 posts, read 54,154,649 times
Quote:

He may believe in winning but is that really an admirable quality if it's 'win at all costs'? If 'winning' may include reneging on promises he's made, screwing people on deals, talking out both sides of his mouth, dragging others down for no reason other than sport, acting like a vindictive, petulant 6 year old?

Personally , I have no respect for him as a man and believe he's completely lacking in character, politics has nothing to do with it.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:02 AM

9,639 posts, read 5,990,832 times
Quote:

Some people see through his false facade. His whole life is a reality show he's orechestrsted through use of media.

- he's not self made. Daddy's money got him going.
- he's not as successful as he pretends to be.
- he's not the great businessman he pretends to be.

He's fake. When he needs more money he just rips more people off and moves on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies