Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 08:12 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
zentropa I'm sure you are telling the truth but...
I don't know many parents who would be willing to get up every morning at 3 to drive their middle schooler to a job. I'm assuming that you weren't out walking around in the dark at that hour...
actually I was walking to work by myself, but I lived a block away....in a very small town, it was safe. Sometimes, my mom would walk me to the corner, and watch me walk down a block. Not always though. the bakery that I worked at, hired all us neighborhood kids. We washed baking pans, I filled the cream donuts, stacked them on trays, then put them on wracks, same with the glazed donuts, and bagged bread, and swept and cleaned at the end of our shift.

Quote:
Now both my girls worked as teens in the summer, but not until they were 16, because every employer had rules and would not hire under that age. And like most people these days, we lived in the suburbs/exurbs and not within walking distance of places of employment, so hey had to be driven to these jobs until they got their licenses and cars, which didn't happen until they were 17 (again, like most teens these days).
also took tickets at the movie theater, didn't get paid, but it kept me off the streets, and I was allowed to walk into see any movie I wanted in both theaters in town, as many times as I wanted.

Quote:
Luckily, I worked at home, so I would be the one to drive them 10 miles round trip to their minimum wage jobs, which wasn't very cost effective overall.
Personally I don't believe it's about being cost effective, it's about the kid working and learning how to take instruction from a boss, and work with others, that there are other rules outside of the home, and how to manage money...

My brother had a paper route....my other sister sold tickets at the movie theater, and my younger sister, worked in the bakery's store, selling the items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 08:17 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
WIFE??? It's more like the single parent is a woman who becomes a baby momma without first asking the baby daddy if he wants to be a father or wants a long term commitment, then she uses that child as a hostage when the man has moved on and is dating other women. Visitation is withheld for many reasons, including extorting money from the baby daddy that isn't necessarily going to be spent on the child. And when the child is allowed to spend time with his baby daddy, the child is used to find out who her ex is dating.

And that's the story I hear most often. The saddest example is at work. A 20 year old is a recent baby momma and on FB, her baby daddy posts about all the b*tches he is trying to band. Meanwhile, she spends silly money on hair extensions and flirts with the guys. Poor baby.

Free birth control and abortions for all can't break this unhealthy cycle. But ending welfare benefits could.
Ah I think I see the source of the disconnect here. Most of my experiences involve married or long term couples, not one offs with teenage bimbos.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
WIFE??? It's more like the single parent is a woman who becomes a baby momma without first asking the baby daddy if he wants to be a father or wants a long term commitment, then she uses that child as a hostage when the man has moved on and is dating other women. Visitation is withheld for many reasons, including extorting money from the baby daddy that isn't necessarily going to be spent on the child. And when the child is allowed to spend time with his baby daddy, the child is used to find out who her ex is dating.

And that's the story I hear most often. The saddest example is at work. A 20 year old is a recent baby momma and on FB, her baby daddy posts about all the b*tches he is trying to band. Meanwhile, she spends silly money on hair extensions and flirts with the guys. Poor baby.

Free birth control and abortions for all can't break this unhealthy cycle. But ending welfare benefits could.
Teaching good Parenting in schools might help also

Hey Miu, how are you doing? Good to see you.

I've often thought that if they taught good parenting skills in schools it might help? Not sure if it would....they're kids having kids.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:12 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
[quote=cremebrulee;50927599]actually I was walking to work by myself, but I lived a block away....in a very small town, it was safe. Sometimes, my mom would walk me to the corner, and watch me walk down a block. Not always though. the bakery that I worked at, hired all us neighborhood kids. We washed baking pans, I filled the cream donuts, stacked them on trays, then put them on wracks, same with the glazed donuts, and bagged bread, and swept and cleaned at the end of our shift.

When I was 15, I took a job at a bakery, too. It was mostly counter sales and end of day cleaning, but I learned to decorate cakes. I worked there for almost 5 years, until I graduated from secretarial college. In the interim, the owners sold the bakery to a new owner, and I had a new boss. I ended up marrying him.

Both my kids started helping in their grandparents' business at 14 or so...oldest is now 32 and running it. But the summer she was 15, she wanted to do something "different"...she got a job at a local zoo, giving pony rides and mucking out cages. That lasted for only one summer, and she decided to come back to the family's store.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:30 AM

[quote=Mrs. Skeffington;50929008]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
actually I was walking to work by myself, but I lived a block away....in a very small town, it was safe. Sometimes, my mom would walk me to the corner, and watch me walk down a block. Not always though. the bakery that I worked at, hired all us neighborhood kids. We washed baking pans, I filled the cream donuts, stacked them on trays, then put them on wracks, same with the glazed donuts, and bagged bread, and swept and cleaned at the end of our shift.

When I was 15, I took a job at a bakery, too. It was mostly counter sales and end of day cleaning, but I learned to decorate cakes. I worked there for almost 5 years, until I graduated from secretarial college. In the interim, the owners sold the bakery to a new owner, and I had a new boss. I ended up marrying him.

Both my kids started helping in their grandparents' business at 14 or so...oldest is now 32 and running it. But the summer she was 15, she wanted to do something "different"...she got a job at a local zoo, giving pony rides and mucking out cages. That lasted for only one summer, and she decided to come back to the family's store.
Awesome story.....thank you for sharing.

yanno, I used to love to go down into the store, and behind the store were several rooms. The owners daughter used to decorate the cakes, and I loved to watch her.

Also, milk then was put into bottles, we had strawberry and chocolate milk in the store case. We used to go and take one or the other and share it with out donuts in the mornings....boy, there was nothing like those warm glazed donuts that had just come out of the glazer machine and were still warm....OMG!!! When my brother was old enough, he made the glazed donuts....he was of age that he could work on the machines.

We learned a lot working, and experiences I'm so thankful I had...all the neighborhood kids worked there...such good kids, and lots of fun. mostly older than me....except for my one sister....

then when I waitressed at the diner, I felt like such a big person, making better money...and I loved waitress work. I had two bus boys who were younger and in my same school, they were such fantastic workers....always tried to give them a little more....for helping me.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:36 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Okay, let's think about what summer jobs kids used to do (which luckily mine were able to get but others didn't). Fast food? No bueno. Lawn maintenance? No bueno. Retail stores? Not as many of those around than there once was. Caddying? Limited number of those jobs.

The truth is, students have been one of the groups finding it harder and harder to get those summer jobs, but they should at least have chores, which mine had, but most of their friends did not.
I moved out at 17 and initially had a very hard time finding a job legally. Because of local laws, they all required being at least 18.

Even before then, it was hard to find even a part time job throughout high school for similar reasons. There were too many compliance requirements involved with employing minors, so many businesses just enacted a blanket policy of not dealing with them at all.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:47 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Yes, but most often, even in these enlightened times, it is the woman or girl who decides if it's a go or a no go on the sex thing. Women accept and reject men's advances all the time, but often for the wrong reasons. And she is the one who gets pregnant as well.
The woman is most often willing to raise any children that result. Statistically, men have shown to be less willing.

A woman should obviously do her best to determine a man's real intentions accurately to the best of her ability, but ultimately, women are not mind-readers or fortune tellers.

If the man himself knows he won't want to stick around to help raise any children that result, he needs to own that and not get sexually involved with anyone.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I moved out at 17 and initially had a very hard time finding a job legally. Because of local laws, they all required being at least 18.

Even before then, it was hard to find even a part time job throughout high school for similar reasons. There were too many compliance requirements involved with employing minors, so many businesses just enacted a blanket policy of not dealing with them at all.
there are most likely many more restrictions now a days, that I'll admit....but when my brother had a paper route, the local paper hired kids with bikes to deliver the paper and do the collections. But there is always someone out there willing to hire a kid....for instance, you could make up a sign, and post it in churches....asking for work....or in grocery stores...now certain stuff a 13 year old couldn't do, but once they are 15, 16, they could find something....most kids don't want to work, and parents don't push them to do so...I didn't want to work...but our parents told us, you want stuff, you've got to work for it. when you work for something, you learn to appreciate it so much more and take care of it much better.

My brother bought his own brand new bike. It was so pretty, and he took care of it.

Kids were different than....we were so much more mature, and responsible....I'm not saying all kids are not today, there are some really awesome parents out there, but the majority of kids, today, are so immature...

Old 02-05-2018, 11:00 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Topic derived from 7 year old cuffed and taken out of school. I didn't want to drift the thread.

A cursory review of the headlines or CD threads about violence among children or young teens seems to have a few things in common; 1) no parental discipline; and 2) single parent households. May even effectively no-parent households if the mother is out working, making more children or out cold.

Why is this? And what can we do to make two-parent households more the norm. Even if it's not "Leave it to Beaver" or "Ozzie and Harriet," if a good number of children in any given class or area come from two-parent homes a pattern of orderliness exist. There are role models.

If almost all children get an upbringing fit for a street thug, violence becomes the norm. What do you expect?
The cuffed seven year old comes from a two parent home doesn't he?

Old 02-05-2018, 12:09 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Big difference between a beating and spanking.
I don't know. It is corporal punishment.

My point is this. We have individuals whobsay that corporal punishment is the answer. The demographic that uses corporal punishment the most has the highest violent crime rate. Vast majority of Black men in prison can say they got spankings/whippings/beatings,etc. If it did, there would be NO crime in the Black population. There would be no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies