Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 02:56 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
No it is not an irrational response. It is a response of the majority of parents that want to protect their children from predators like this.

He is guilty of these crimes. He plead that way. Sounds like you approve of his behavior.

Wild assumption here but I am guessing you don't have children.
I've read several posts by this poster wherein he defends Nassar's behavior, and implies that the girls were complicit in going along with what he was doing. They agreed to it because they believed his saying that the "treatments" they were receiving were always legitimate and pertained to the injuries being treated. They were not, in fact, always pertinent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 02:56 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Lots of medical professionals practice this treatment. And many defend it. That they were not in court has no bearing on that. I have posted before repeatedly that you can go on Google and find dozens of articles from medical professionals describing this treatment and defending it. Go on, and look for yourself. As to whether its an accepted standard of care, the answer is going to depend on what kind of practitioner is answering the questions. It appears more likely that osteopaths would practice it, but also physical therapist and physio docs.

When you say "sexually molest" what are you referring to? That he was alleged to have massaged that girls feet with his wang under a blanket? That is the only incident of that alleged, that I have read. He didn't do that to other girls.

You have simply assumed that no treatments rendered were legitimate. And I've asked you, and others who have made the same assumption - HOW do you know that? Are you a doctor? Do you know anything about this treatment? Did you examine the patients? Tell us how you know what you ASSUMED to be true.

You have no basis except you have signed onto the Mob. You are going with the story, because it fits your narrative and feeds your urge to be OUTRAGED and signal how virtuous you are, up there on the bandwagon with all the other decent folks.

This is not a lot different than the Salem Witch Trials. Except Larry Nassar isn't a witch. Maybe if he were a witch he'd have been better off.

For example, I cannot help but think that if he were a lesbian, if he looked like Portia de Rossi, this would not be happening right now. I think the hysteria, the mob frenzy, is 100% an artifact of the #meToo movement.

You can disagree, as you clearly do, but you seem more interested in squashing any dissent to the notions central to the group hysteria - that nothing he did could possibly have been a legitimate treatment for the complaint of the patient. Because without that certainty, the outrage kind of just falls apart, doesn't it?

I'm sure he had no reasonable expectation of the judicial overkill he was going to receive. A punishment so far out of proportion to the offense.
What treatment are you referring to? Please, be specific.

You keep saying "the treatment" was legitimate. Which treatment?

Old 02-05-2018, 03:04 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
What treatment are you referring to? Please, be specific.

You keep saying "the treatment" was legitimate. Which treatment?
I'm referring to manipulation of the pelvic floor through the vagina and/or anus.
You going to claim its not a legitimate treatment as well, without doing a shred of research into it?
I would be surprised if you did, since I have seen your other posts and you seem like a more level-headed rational person.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:06 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
I'm referring to manipulation of the pelvic floor through the vagina and/or anus.
You going to claim its not a legitimate treatment as well, without doing a shred of research into it?
I would be surprised if you did, since I have seen your other posts and you seem like a more level-headed rational person.
I'm not actually suggesting anything. Just looking for clarification on what treatment you're referring to.

Yes, it certainly is a legitimate treatment. I think the issue here isn't that this is/isn't a medical treatment that is done - the question I think that is being asked is why was Nassar conducting them? Unless I'm misunderstanding the context of this discussion.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You're lying. A Google search will not turn up any support for your allegation and you know it.
Oh, so since you're so sure. I will bet you $100K that it does. If you're wrong, and there are google results, you pay me $100K.

If there are any reports of medical professionals or physical therapists confirming it is a legitimate treatment, including quotes from articles published in print or online, you also lose.

Deal? Put your money where your big ignorant mouth-hole is.

Wait, do you even have 100K?

Old 02-05-2018, 03:07 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I'm not actually suggesting anything. Just looking for clarification on what treatment you're referring to.

Yes, it certainly is a legitimate treatment. I think the issue here isn't that this is/isn't a medical treatment that is done - the question I think that is being asked is why was Nassar conducting them? Unless I'm misunderstanding the context of this discussion.
The charges are that he did them to young girls even when they had nothing wrong with them.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:09 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
I expect to be condemned and demolished after making these comments, or maybe just ignored so I'm ready for it.

I feel that the father who lunged at Nassar in the courtroom should have been penalized in some way, perhaps in the form of a fine. The reason that he felt empowered to do what he did in the first place is because criminal courts, since the emergence of the victim's rights movement decades ago have become more impassioned victim service centers than courtrooms.

Even though this nasty doctor did disgusting things that are inexcusable, judges should be expected to conduct themselves and courtroom proceedings with reason and decorum. This man pleaded guilty in a plea deal that would have imposed a sentence of 25-40. -Then he writes a letter (that just shows how mentally disordered he is) that angered the judge, who in turn, in what looks to me like a paroxysmal fit, retreated from the plea deal and imposed another 20 years, and as of today it stands at 40-125. The snarling judge proclaimed days ago in the courtroom that she just gave him a death sentence. Of course, few people with see anything wrong with her behavior. Maybe she was abused...we have a female sociopathic judge in the county where I live that does stuff like this.

Why does this society condone this kind of unhinged behavior from judges? I do not believe that victim impact statements are proper. The law likes to put on false pretenses of keeping the forum of the court free from inflammatory elements, yet allows these statements and what I deem to be reckless unprofessional behaviors from judges. The law should examine the evidence and render the most just verdict and punishment that is called for by the findings of fact. These impact statements only serve to turn courtrooms into medieval lynching fests.
The scumbag tried to justify his abuse and the judge was having nothing to do with it. I am ecstatic that he vacated the plea deal and imposed the maximum sentence.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The charges are that he did them to young girls even when they had nothing wrong with them.
That was not the charge. IF they had nothing wrong with them they wouldn't have been seeing the doctor in the first place.

The coverage of the case and the victim testimony repeatedly indicates they sought out his services for pain and injury. That sounds like something wrong to me.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:11 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Over the top or not, the outcome would have been the same. If you want to complain about her reactions, that's fine and I even understand to a point but in the end it's complaining over minutia.
When both me and pknopp are on the same side of something, not only is someone wrong, they're so wrong it warps the fabric of reality! (just kidding we do occasionally agree on things-stuff like this for example.)

Old 02-05-2018, 03:13 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
That was not the charge.
If you say so. That is what the testimony was and he pled guilty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies