Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 06:51 PM

11,800 posts, read 8,008,183 times

Advertisements

This is pretty interesting. First thing I thought of was my fairly recent trip to California and walking the streets of San Francisco where I literally smelled the stuff everywhere and kept having to remind myself that it was technically "OKAY"

I personally have no disposition for or against Marijuanna, I personally wouldn't use it though but I do not condemn those who do.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:17 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I take a much more optimistic view of this bill. The momentum of legalization is growing throughout the country. While this bill won't pass, my prediction for when it eventually will keeps getting shorter.

I hope legalization doesn't rely on this, but it will happen as older generations leave us. Marijuana prohibition is a very outdated mindset, its lifeline is people whose opinions formed in a time without open access to information. It's going to happen here one day and I think the timeline is advancing.
tiki - It's bad enough that cigarettes and booze are legal. No good reasons to throw yet another mind altering and health destroying substance in the mix.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:25 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
tiki - It's bad enough that cigarettes and booze are legal. No good reasons to throw yet another mind altering and health destroying substance in the mix.
People will smoke weed if lets legal or not. Might as well get tax dollars from it. Laws don't stop people from doing what they want to do

If anything it should be illegal to buy alcohol and tobacco because its causes much more deaths than weed. (BTW I don't smoke)

Old 02-08-2018, 09:51 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
Quote:
But people do it anyway. Making a comparable activity punishable under law is ridiculously unfair. Especially considering it's less toxic than cigarettes and many of the ways alcohol is consumed.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:52 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I take a much more optimistic view of this bill. The momentum of legalization is growing throughout the country. While this bill won't pass, my prediction for when it eventually will keeps getting shorter.

I hope legalization doesn't rely on this, but it will happen as older generations leave us. Marijuana prohibition is a very outdated mindset, its lifeline is people whose opinions formed in a time without open access to information. It's going to happen here one day and I think the timeline is advancing.
Exactly! There is momentum and it's not just a fad that will eventually go away. I see the nation legalizing before Georgia does. I guess I see so many states legalizing that the Supreme Court just legalizes it in all states. Will it happen next year? No, but it will eventually happen. Tikigod, a lot of old people are holding legalization back like you said but I don't think they will be able to hold it back forever and we certainly can't allow them to because they're not dying as early as they used to. They are living much much longer and so I think this is prompting people to take action as waiting for old people to die will take too long. Not saying that you were implying that, of course. I believe a lot of people are sick of waiting for legalization and are taking matters into their own hands.

AnsleyPark, cigarettes have over 200 chemicals in them. Cannabis is from the earth and doesn't have over 200 chemicals in it. You can die from alcohol overdose. You can't die from ganja. Not fair to compare those to cannabis.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:58 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
This is pretty interesting. First thing I thought of was my fairly recent trip to California and walking the streets of San Francisco where I literally smelled the stuff everywhere and kept having to remind myself that it was technically "OKAY"

I personally have no disposition for or against Marijuanna, I personally wouldn't use it though but I do not condemn those who do.

Yeah...when I was in Montreal, I smelled it all the time I walked outside. Sometimes when I ride Marta, I also smell it. It really does feel so foreign that it's illegal. I really do forget that it is something that people have to hide and do as if they are criminals. It's really sad that something that isn't dangerous can ruin people's lives-jail time, loss of student aid, can't get a job because of possession for personal use (conviction of), etc. It's 2018! This is why science is so important. We can't allow these religious and/or corporate (and their politician spawns) monsters to criminalize cannabis anymore!

Old 02-08-2018, 11:20 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,759 times
Quote:
Reading this thread, it appears that some posters are smoking weed while posting.
I can't believe anyone would bother to visit City Data if they weren't stoned.

Quote:
DEATHS PER YEAR, US:
Alcohol: 88,000
Tobacco: 480,000
Marijuana: 0

Note that I've used government sources, the CDC and the DEA. Given the facts, why would you lump those three substances together?

Old 02-09-2018, 07:51 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post

DEATHS PER YEAR, US:
Alcohol: 88,000
Tobacco: 480,000
Marijuana: 0

Note that I've used government sources, the CDC and the DEA. Given the facts, why would you lump those three substances together?
With facts like this, it becomes impossible to reasonably support continued prohibition.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:42 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
People will smoke weed if lets legal or not. Might as well get tax dollars from it. Laws don't stop people from doing what they want to do

If anything it should be illegal to buy alcohol and tobacco because its causes much more deaths than weed. (BTW I don't smoke)
People will also take opioids whether it's legal or not (outside of medically prescribed uses). But, just because folks do something isn't a reason to legalize that something. Now, I really don't have much of a dog in this hunt, personally, but am aware of the negative effects of marijuana smoking. And, yes, I agree with you about smoking and alcohol. I do foresee the day when tobacco smoking will be outlawed. On that note, I read a news report a few weeks ago that PhillipMorris, the largest cigarette producer, intends to cease manufacturing traditional cigarettes and focus, instead, on tobacco uses that don't burn the tobacco. I suppose vaping or something along those lines.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:44 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,819 times
Aware us on all of these negative effects of marijuana smoking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies