Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 07:51 AM

8,142 posts, read 3,674,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
So, the US is spending $9800 pr American. OECD average is $4800.
That is $5000 PER AMERICAN more then OECD average. And since OECD countries have better healthcare then the US, the US is currently overspending $2-3 Trillion each year for worse treatments and higher drug prices.

US spends $3.3 Trillion each year and get worse coverage.
Getting it down to OECD average would be $1.7 Trillion in savings.

Being able to negotiate about drug prices, would probably cut drugs costs by 2/3.. just like in other 1st world nations. So, thats a hefty savings..

So $2-3 Trillion in savings each year.

I don`t understand.
1. Are you saying going to a Universal Healthcare would increase cost by $4-6 Trillion?
2. Or that Universal Healthcare in the US would cost total of $4-6 Trillion?

Whatever it costs after getting a Universal Healthcare, it would be half the cost of the current system... and everybody would be covered for ANY eventuality!
See, to understand your argument a person needs to understand 1st grade math, and also not be blinded by politics. Sometimes, that might be asking too much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 07:52 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
You seem to forget that we are not a Kingdom. The failure is Congress. The Republicans had seven years to come up with something workable. They did nothing but sit on their hands. They voted to repeal it when they knew Obama would veto it anyway. When it came time to actually repeal it, they couldn't muster the votes. That wasn't Trump's fault. At least he was able to kill Obamacare by ending the oppressive "personal mandate."

Old 02-07-2018, 07:58 AM

4,254 posts, read 3,174,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I suspect most Brits would not switch to a US form of healthcare for "all the tea in China".

While nearly 60 countries have embraced Universal Healthcare, ( healthcare as a human right) most do not operate with a Single Payer model, as the UK does.

Healthcare everywhere is rationed.
I've actually have multiple friends that have moved here from the UK.....specifically because they couldn't get the medical treatment they needed. In two cases it was a life/death situation. They had no problems getting the specialized treatment here that was not available to them in the UK. Neither would go back to what they had in the UK. Now I'm certain that many people are quite happy with their "universal" healthcare but it is certainly not a panacea many make it out to be....there are compromises that can have a very negative impact on some (like any system).
My son needs a total hip replacement. From the time of diagnosis to the actual surgery will be 3 weeks. Try that in some of these countries with "universal" health care!

Old 02-07-2018, 08:07 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
This was no lie. I read before that the British NHS was broke and a total failure. Naturally, the bureaucrats will defend it, just like the Democraps here defend Obamacare, which no one can afford, and those who shoved it down our throats are exempt.
The NHS is not broke, it just needs the Government to commit to spending the average GDP expenditure on health in Europe, and new funding methods.

It's the current levels of funding and a replacement of national insurance by a new ring fenced NHS Tax that are being discussed.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:09 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
I've actually have multiple friends that have moved here from the UK.....specifically because they couldn't get the medical treatment they needed. In two cases it was a life/death situation. They had no problems getting the specialized treatment here that was not available to them in the UK. Neither would go back to what they had in the UK. Now I'm certain that many people are quite happy with their "universal" healthcare but it is certainly not a panacea many make it out to be....there are compromises that can have a very negative impact on some (like any system).
My son needs a total hip replacement. From the time of diagnosis to the actual surgery will be 3 weeks. Try that in some of these countries with "universal" health care!
If you want a hip replacement in three weeks then the UK has plenty of private health care providers and you can take out private health insurance in the UK if youso wish to.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:14 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Trump wonders why he won't be welcomed with open arms when he visits London, perhaps he should try to just stop tweeting about Britain for a start.

President Trump: NHS 'going broke and not working' - BBC News

Theresa May hits back at Donald Trump over NHS tweets - Sky News

Doctors and nurses hit back at Donald Trump for saying NHS was failing - Metro
Suddenly he is an expert on healthcare? "Who knew health care could be so complicated?" he is reported to have said.

How does he feel about Israel's health system? Does he even know they have one?

He had high praises for Australia's not long ago, but why? ... how does he know?

The guy is an empty suit.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:16 AM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
If you want a hip replacement in three weeks then the UK has plenty of private health care providers and you can take out private health insurance in the UK is you want to.
Of course. My English aunt needed a hip replacement several years ago and rather than waiting, she "went private" (paid for it through her inexpensive private health plan) and got it done right away. She wanted it fast so she could go on vacation!

Old 02-07-2018, 09:45 AM

1,705 posts, read 538,122 times
My father went to his doctor with heartache a year ago.. Was sent to hospital to figure it out, they found out he had a partial clogged arterie(?), 2 weeks later he was at the hospital, having it "blocked up" ( not sure what its called ), went home the same day.

Cost? Parking and gas back and forth.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:46 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Goodness what a lot of rubbish is written in this thread! Somebody said earlier on 'has anybody used the NHS in the UK', well as somebody who is British, lives in Britain and has a long term sick partner I can categorically say that I may be quite well 'qualified' to comment? My partner spends a lot of time in NHS hospitals and clinics, their care is exceptional, she has never been 'cancelled' or turned away, during the last visit she was invited to join the 100,000 genomes project see below:-

The project will sequence 100,000 genomes from around 70,000 people. Participants are NHS patients with a rare disease, plus their families, and patients with cancer.
The aim is to create a new genomic medicine service for the NHS – transforming the way people are cared for. Patients may be offered a diagnosis where there wasn’t one before. In time, there is the potential of new and more effective treatments.
The project will also enable new medical research. Combining genomic sequence data with medical records is a ground-breaking resource. Researchers will study how best to use genomics in healthcare and how best to interpret the data to help patients. The causes, diagnosis and treatment of disease will also be investigated. We also aim to kick-start a UK genomics industry. This is currently the largest national sequencing project of its kind in the world.

The NHS is certainly NOT perfect, not by a long shot, is probably not even the best National Health Service in Europe let alone the world, but if it didn't exist one thing is for sure, me and my partner would be royally screwed without it!

As a side note and as somebody has already pointed out there are in fact 'options' in the UK, if you really don't like the idea of using the NHS then you always have the option to go for private health care (in fact many work places have private medical insurance as part of their bonus packages), its not like you are stuck with only one option.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:39 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Ya, it is called getting a job!
Lots of people have jobs. Doesn't mean they can afford healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies