Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Trump's military parade: yes or no?
Yes. 37 16.37%
No, 170 75.22%
Don't care. 19 8.41%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 06:27 AM

19,987 posts, read 8,888,037 times

Advertisements

liberals don't vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 06:30 AM

51,607 posts, read 25,642,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
For all of Trump's flaws I do not believe he wants a parade for ego reasons... that to me is a phony narrative being pushed by the media. I think Trump honestly believes that a parade would help to unite people in this country, and get people to think more positively about our military, which is often bashed by those on the left. Those are the real reasons, IMO.

Having said that, while I think a parade sounds interesting, I think it would ultimately send the wrong message to the rest of the world. It would give the appearance that we were trying to copy other countries, and the US shouldn't be in that position. Other countries are supposed to look up to us, and copy us, not the other way around.
Thumbs up to your second point.

As to the first point, what the hell are you thinking?

Trump doesn't give a damn about uniting people. He has shown not a spec of interest in doing that. Lots of examples of him promoting divisiveness.

The left may be against these endless wars to prop up the military industrial complex that Eisenhower warned us about, but not since the Vietnam War has the left opposed the military.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:32 AM

556 posts, read 785,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
You might have specified non-draftee veterans.

I was RA November 1967 and my response is Hell NO.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
I posted this in the other parade thread, but it's still applicable.

For all of Trump's flaws I do not believe he wants a parade for ego reasons as the media is so desperately trying to push... that to me is a phony narrative. I think Trump honestly believes that a parade would help to unite people in this country, and get people to think more positively about our military, which is often bashed by those on the left. Those are the real reasons, IMO.

Trump has shown not a spec of interest in uniting the nation.

And this parade to honor Trump the Magnificent certainly wouldn't do it.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:34 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,286,421 times
We are hopeless in debt and the president wants to spend millions on a parade, how is that a good decision?

Old 02-08-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
We are hopeless in debt and the president wants to spend millions on a parade, how is that a good decision?
It's a terrible decision and will only remind people that we are going deeper in debt for military actions around the world that do nothing to make us safer.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:35 AM

19,468 posts, read 12,103,646 times
Quote:
For all of Trump's flaws I do not believe he wants a parade for ego reasons... that to me is a phony narrative being pushed by the media. I think Trump honestly believes that a parade would help to unite people in this country, and get people to think more positively about our military, which is often bashed by those on the left. Those are the real reasons, IMO.

Having said that, while I think a parade sounds interesting, I think it would ultimately send the wrong message to the rest of the world. It would give the appearance that we were trying to copy other countries, and the US shouldn't be in that position. Other countries are supposed to look up to us, and copy us, not the other way around.
Many countries have these parades, so who are they copying, each other? Anyway, if Trump was impressed by the parade in France, that is a complement to France.

I don't think we need to be a role model and the US has lost prestige as other countries catch up. We are not too good to have a military parade like other countries do, it would be elitist to think so.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:36 AM

When you're a great lover, you don't have to go around in bars with your tongue wiggling back in forth in imitation of oral sex.

When you're a good Christian, you don't have to announce that, "As a good Christian, ..."

When you spend more than the next seven nations on war, you don't have to hold parades.

Walk softly.

Carry a big stick.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:44 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,495,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Trump has shown not a spec of interest in uniting the nation.

And this parade to honor Trump the Magnificent certainly wouldn't do it.

See, I completely disagree. I think he genuinely does want to unite the country, but the democrats and the media are constantly pushing phony character-attacking narratives to delegitimize him at every turn, forcing him to constantly defend himself, which gives the appearance of him being egotistical.

It's psychological warfare, and you are taking the bait.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:47 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,776,654 times
In the US, parades are held after wars or on national holidays. Generally, it's not a good idea to just "have" one.

Glorification of the military, its elevation above the institutions it is supposed to protect is not a good idea. Bad things lie that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quGkDzzu7js
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies