Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Trump's military parade: yes or no?
Yes. 37 16.37%
No, 170 75.22%
Don't care. 19 8.41%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 07:17 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times

Advertisements

Our military should never perform just to stroke a coward's ego.

It really is that simple.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 07:18 AM

19,630 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Isn't a military parade a show of force that typically precedes war?
No. Unless France is up to something.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:22 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,371,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
The condescending liberals telling people who we are is worn out.
They don't speak for half the country that is for sure.
Their main priority is everyone but American citizens. That's what they are standing for and Pelosi demonstrated it today, again.
Wow! You believe all the tripe that Trump spews out!!

None of what you said is true.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:27 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,012,586 times
Chinese Female Soldiers Parade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyPt1GtntsA

Old 02-08-2018, 07:41 AM

24,405 posts, read 23,061,247 times
I think its a bad idea, although not because a bunch of bed wetting leftists are against the military. I just don't think we need to show of our military hardware to impress anyone. Especially ourselves. Yeah, I'll admit I like to look at tanks and planes, particularly vintage ones. I've been to a WW2 reenactment air show and a WW1 aerodrome and seen the Aberdeen Proving Grounds display. The museum at Gettysburg, Valley Forge, the Smithsonian, Baltimore Harbor's naval exhibits, all are very interesting. Erie's Perry's flagship, very educational and fun.
If you want to honor and salute our armed forces, our people in the military, that's fine. Really they're our last intact governmental arm that we can still count on. I had to endure an air show in Atlantic City a few years ago. Sonic booms and jets flying overhead.... it gets annoying fast.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:41 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
It's simple:

This is being claimed as a celebration of military pride and a salute to our veterans, but it's really not. It's going to be a celebration of Donald Trump's pride, who will bask in being seen as the leader saluted by our military. Not bad for a draft-dodger.

This is why it is a slippery slope: outside of well-established cadences like the 4th of July, staging these kinds of conspicuous affairs is a great opportunity for a President to exploit the military as a political prop for self-aggrandization. Then maybe next we start singling out those in the citizenry who don't sing loud enough and salute enthusiastically enough at these leader-focused events, and you're well on the way to doing exactly what despots in lesser countries do.

This is not who we are. We maintain the strongest military on the planet and show pride and respect without handing this kind of stage prop leverage over to our Commander in Chief.

It is just another example of Trump chipping away at the institutional legacy that others have respected, which have kept the leader of the USA from looking and operating like the leaders in Syria, Iran, or North Korea. We used to have a sense of integrity amongst our leadership that charted a course toward a higher standard. Now, increasingly, we are falling short of our ideals.

And Trump followers who rubber-stamp all of these antics are fools blinded far more by their egos than bolstered by their love of country.
San Francisco. Explains everything!

Last edited by finalmove; 02-08-2018 at 07:51 AM..

Old 02-08-2018, 07:47 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
Those heavy pieces of military armament tear up roads....factor in cost of repairs. If not immediate, it will decrease the expected life of those roads.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:50 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If Trump manages to actually pull off this parade, we will be laughingstock of the planet.

Our soldiers will not be marching past Trump the Magnificent in snappy, high stepping formation. We'll be lucky if they are all on the same foot.

News clip comparisons will be cruel.
You illustrate how divided our Country is. The Left continues the contempt Obama had for our troops. The rank and file in the military see this as well.

A military parade would be attended by hundreds of thousands. Those on your side would be drowned-out like a cricket at a train station. It would be decisive.

In any case, this will only clarify who is on either side. This will be necessary when the time comes.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:51 AM

4,030 posts, read 2,715,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I posted this in the other parade thread, but it's still applicable.

For all of Trump's flaws I do not believe he wants a parade for ego reasons as the media is so desperately trying to push. I think Trump honestly believes that a parade would help to unite people in this country, and get people to think more positively about our military, which is often bashed by those on the left. Those are the real reasons, IMO.

Having said that, while I think a parade sounds interesting, I think it would ultimately send the wrong message to the rest of the world. It would give the appearance that we were trying to copy other countries, and the US shouldn't be in that position. Other countries are supposed to look up to us, and copy us, not the other way around.

Bottom line: Trump wants a parade for respectable reasons, but fails to see that having one would actually make our country look weaker, not stronger.
If Trump hadn't attacked POWs (John McCain) and Gold Star families (the Khans), you might've had a smidgen of a chance of convincing me of this. But given Trump's past behavior, I'm calling a big huge NOPE on this theory.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:51 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
DC ain't having it. Let Trump have it in his home town. How about a nice little parade down Astoria Boulevard in Queens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies