Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2018, 05:59 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I am not perpetually angry. My post may have been more strident than I would have liked. However, the recent history of the GOP has been to,"starve the beast", I.e. so bankrupt the government there will not be enough to fund government operations.

It all seems so self defeating to me. No purpose but to weaken us. Oklahoma and Kansas are foreshadowing the conservative dark vision for America. Not angry really, just concerned and truly saddened.
No republicans arent starving beast to shrink govt, because govt hasnt shrunk, its grown.
They are just shifting the burden of who pays the bill, i.e. shifting the tax burden elsewhere, borrowing and printing.
Your ideology has you blinded as to what is really going on

Old 02-07-2018, 06:01 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
My state doesn't tax wages. We don't have toll roads or at least none I know of. All of our state parks are free. We're ranked 13th for lowest property taxes. I've been here 11 years and my rent is still not as much as it was in Maryland. The one I have now is twice the size of the MD apartment. The state makes money on sales tax.

How much is Oklahoma shelling out for poor illegals? extra teachers, cops, fire, roads, government assistance? Some may pay income taxes but they don't pay enough taxes to cover their cost. Switch from an income based tax to a sales tax.
They do and they are one of the few states that tax food full rate.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:04 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,794,281 times
That's why we have states. They can run things as they see fit. Maybe it will work, maybe not. Either way, it's their business.

Still, I'd rather have OK's problems than Illinois' or NJ's.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:05 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,935 times
We found living in OK temporarily to be very backward and people are not open to change or growth. Our grocery bill was outlandish.
I can’t say anything good about schools.
Then, for extra fun you have earthquakes, tornadoes, and wind that blows all four seasons.

Last edited by Sharpydove; 02-07-2018 at 06:15 AM..

Old 02-07-2018, 06:08 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Oklahoma is what this looks like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Cool story, bro. Did you ever live there?
There is nothing wrong with Oklahoma. Other than that they cut taxes back when gas prices were high, and now gas prices aren't high anymore.

When the majority of your economy depends on high gas prices, and gas prices drop, it hurts. Oklahoma needs to diversify its economy to become less-dependent on oil and gas. But how exactly are we going to do that?

The state is trying as best it can to attract business, and to keep business. But it is hard competing with larger, established cities. And especially coastal cities with better climates.

You aren't going to turn Oklahoma into some kind of technology or financial hub, short of massive federal government spending(IE what drives much of Colorado's economy).

If gas prices were to go up another 50%, Oklahoma would be running surpluses, everything would be funded, and everyone would act like Mary Fallin was a genius.

But honestly, Oklahoma is fine. People are complaining about trivial crap that affects a tiny fraction of the population. And nowhere is perfect.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:15 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,220,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Its step 1.

Step 2 involves going after our safety nets.

Fun fact-the bloodiest most cruel revolutions generally occur when the bottom of society gets pushed too far. The French revolution is a good example.
Yes, but in modern day 'Murica, we have the French Revolution in reverse. Where the bottom of society votes for the party of millionaires and billionaires, and in doing so grants even more power to the aristocracy.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:19 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
The Income Tax rate in Oklahome ranges from 0.25-5.25%, the latter of which is imposed on AGI of $8,701.

If the people want more they are free to elect state legislators willing to increase state taxes.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:20 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
As someone who has lived in OK several times for temporary job moves, I can tell you it’s awful.
And you live where exactly?

Quote:
We found it to be very backward and people are not open to change or growth.
Why is this a bad thing? Do you want us to be like Commiefornia or New York? Why in the hell would we want to be anything like them? A bunch of degenerates.

Quote:
I can’t say anything good about schools.
My stepfather was in the military, and I went to several schools across the country, and several here in Oklahoma. I can't say anything good about any school I've ever been in. Other than that some of the teachers were really nice.

Quote:
Then, for extra fun you have earthquakes, tornadoes, and wind that blows all four seasons.
Eh, the Earthquakes are kind of a joke. Most of the time you don't even feel them. Sometimes you feel them, but they are so weak, you aren't really sure what it is. Earthquakes in California are literally thousands of times stronger than our Earthquakes.

The tornadoes, I'll give you that. Although tornadoes affect a lot more than just Oklahoma. And Oklahoma doesn't even have the most major tornadoes per year, or the most EF5's. But for someone who isn't familiar with tornadoes, I can understand why they are so scary.

And yes, Oklahoma City is a very windy city. But, it isn't the windiest city.

https://www.treehugger.com/natural-s...cities-us.html

Boston is actually a more-windy city than Oklahoma City. And it is much much much colder.

Buffalo is nearly as windy, and gets like 100 inches of snow a year.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:32 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I want you to give me a state that you think is better than Oklahoma. And tell me why. And don't give me some arbitrary rankings. I want you to explain it to me.
I keep trying to explain it to you, but you appear convinced that Oklahoma is no worse than anywhere else and is not suffering from cutting taxes to the bone and subsequently running out of money to provide basic services.

What difference does it make if the suicide rate is slightly better than Alaska's?

Alaska also has a beauty that will take your breath away, and a terrific public education system. When we lived there, Anchorage had a range of public school choices from Back to Basics, Montessori, the British Open School model, ... as well as funds and support for homeschooling. They also have some chilly weather.

What does Oklahoma have?

Each to their own.

I'm not going to back and forth with you, posting links and quotes from article after article.

It's fine by me if you want to stay in a state that has gone all in with the Republican model of cutting taxes and going bankrupt.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:35 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Its step 1.

Step 2 involves going after our safety nets.

Fun fact-the bloodiest most cruel revolutions generally occur when the bottom of society gets pushed too far. The French revolution is a good example.

...safety nets, when the bottom of society gets pushed too far...

I get it. The non-producers are going to get angry!

That's rich. If anyone's entitled to grab their pitchforks in this country, it's the producers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies